1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This team is staring at the Abyss for the next 3-5 years

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by daggy, Apr 25, 2014.

1. daggy

daggy Member

Let me make a couple of predictions:

1) Harden is going to shoot lights out in one of the next two games. I feel 95% confident of this prediction. (the 5% being maybe Harden is even more mentally soft than I think... which is ... unlikely)
    2) They'll still lose that game because other people will be out of rhythm, especially Dwight. I feel 80% confident of this prediction (the 20% being maybe the Blazers will play a crappy game in the same game, anything can happen for one game)
    3) They will lose the series. I feel 99.99999999% confident of this prediction. (the almost nonexistent chance is... there's always the chance of major injuries, though I wish it upon no one).

Now...my prediction in the title:

4) This team will get into the playoffs and won't get past the second round for... at least 3-5 years, so we are staring at the abyss in the basketball sense. This prediction I feel 100% confident in.

Lin can be traded, Asik & Parsons can be traded, players like Beverly can be found, Mchale can be fired, Dwight is just going to ride along, he's the ride along type and he has joined the Rockets late so he can't be the Alpha dog... this team STARTS AND ENDS with Harden. That doesn't mean he shoulders all the credits and blames himself, it just means if he's not fixed first, then no amount of fixing on other parts of the team matters.

I don't think he can be "fixed" in many years to come. Countless others have talked about the flaws of his game, I just want to point out a few things that I think is very self-evident:

1) He's still in that stage of life where he thinks accomplishing things with a beard and style is more important than accomplishing things.
    2) He doesn't want to face the truth, which is he has glaring holes in his game that must be addressed... and unfortunately if you are the cornerstone of the team with Championship aspirations, you don't have to be exceptional in everything you do, but you can NOT have glaring holes in any part of your game. Dirk only won after he completely understood that fact.
    3) He doesn't really want to be coached.

In other words he's highly immature. This is the worst case scenario for any team, you get a star that's immature. Because if he's not talented you can get rid of him, but you see his talent and potential and your fans adore his shooting so you can't really get rid of him, your coach has no power over him because the guy knows he's the superstar and the coach really can't do anything.

If you get a friendly coach you can't fix his bad habits, if you get a tough coach with no rings Harden will simply go "f*** you" and not listen. If you get a tough coach with rings... well... there aren't any of them available out there.

So basically you have to wait for Harden to see the light himself. Trust me, that takes YEARS OF LOSING AND GROWING UP. One day he has to be tired of losing AND realizes himself is a big part of the reason... that day might never come, it's definitely not going to come in the next 3 years.

It's simple human nature.

Oh, btw... to shoot a three pointer while down 1 is okay, you shoot the shots you feel you are most comfortable with... but to shoot that three pointer with 17 seconds still on the clock?

I challenge all of you to find ONE Superstar who's won championships in the past two decades (go back to MJ, or go back to Bird & Magic) who has done anything remotely as boneheaded as that.

That shows deep down inside Harden there's a level of boneheadedness that's part of his DNA, that ain't something that can be easily coached out of the guy... it's part of who he is.

This team... while exciting to watch at times, is hopeless. If you don't want to die from heartaches, just lower your expectation and be very happy when they make the playoffs and consider everything else bonuses, that way you can live longer and thank me later.

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Nah. Rockets will always strive to make improvements.

3. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

/ thread

4. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

OP, while you are at it, give me the winning power ball numbers for Dec. 24, 2016? :rolleyes:

5. solodolo

solodolo Member

I'm hoping but not confident this will be you're last post ever

6. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

2 game losing streak = automatic half decade of futility

OK

7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I hate to say it, but this team constantly losing in the second round for 3-5 years would be a marked improvement over their performance in the last nearly 2 decades. If that's staring at an abyss, what the hell would you call what we've been experiencing since 1997?

Besides, there are moves than can(and hopefully will) be made that can quickly improve this team's fortunes. First of all, I assume Morey plans to do something with all that cap space he's setting aside for 2015. If it doesn't lead to a Kevin Love or Melo(I figure LaMarcus Aldridge ain't leaving Portland for the Rockets given what's going on right now), it can still be used to fill out the roster with 2 or 3 solid role players.

Second, the coaching situation is bound to improve if the Rockets lose to the Blazers. McHale will be sent packing and Morey will bring in a proven head coach to mold this team into a contender and not just a figurehead to preside over a rebuilding situation which is how the McHale hire was intended.

None of this means we'll suddenly be in the Conference Finals or NBA Finals. But it should make this team more competitive so that every season won't keep ending in a first round flameout. I'd hardly call that starting at an abyss.

8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Hmmm, so even though you're saying we can improve through trades, and maybe even through coaching, we're STILL not going to be a better team than what we are right now? Nope, you're not a pessimist....you're just a "realist".

9. ThaShark316_28

Isn't it cute when folks use that word to pass off their pessimism? "I'm a realist!"

Nah, bruh.

10. noone

noone Rookie

I think you have a good owner that is dedicated to winning. So no I don't think you're starring at the abyss.

11. daggy

daggy Member

Of course, my point is no amount of "improvements" will make a significant difference.

1) You can change the coach (which I definitely think they should), but I think it takes a championship experienced coach to get Harden & Dwight to buy in together... there isn't someone like that out there, not for the next 3-5 years.
    2) You can change the roster... Melo, LMA, they won't come, if they won't come, then all the changes are insignificant because the franchise player will still be Harden and the same problems persist.
    3) You can't trade Harden or Dwight, you are stuck with them. This will get you some winning but ... again, see point 1 & 2.

So I make the prediction that this team is hopeless if your aspiration is to win it all.

12. daggy

daggy Member

Sure, 25, 12, 7, 2, 8, the ball is 33

I'm about 0.00000000000000000000000001% sure of that answer

13. daggy

daggy Member

No, two games of getting exposed plus the past few seasons of track record + interviews serve as the basis of an educated prediction of the near future.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Nah, they will watch the Abyss for probably a few weeks at most on their Rockets-themed iPads. Revolutionary for its day but doesn't really bear 3-5 years of rewatching.

Then they will move on to other examples of the Cameron oeuvre - Terminator 1 & 2, Titanic, Aliens and Avatar.

15. daggy

daggy Member

At the end of the post I said it's better if you are happy about making the playoffs and consider everything else a bonus... I myself consider that state of mediocrity the abyss of basketball. No draft, never getting over the hump...

My point is no matter what you do with role players or coaching, with this core the ceiling is clear. Unless Harden suddenly sees the light and somehow also gets Dwight to buy in at the same time, all improvements in standing will only be minor and won't bring you to the Finals.

Trust me, it's NOT something I want to turn out true... but I can't see anyway out of that conclusion.

16. daggy

daggy Member

We can be a better team, but we won't be the 'best team"... I hope I get proven wrong. But I can't really reason myself out of that conclusion.

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

"Man looks in the abyss, there's nothing staring back at him. At that moment, man finds his character. And that is what keeps him out of the abyss."

18. Progs

Progs Member

[​IMG]

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

well technically those were actually lou mannheim's words

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The knee-jerk is strong in this thread...