1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This new trade makes NO SENSE

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WhoMikeJames, Jun 26, 2008.

Tags:
  1. ctry2582

ctry2582 Member

Batum is a rawer prospect then Greene.

He might pan out, but by the time he does, T-Mac's and Yao's prime will passed us.

Dorsey can step in and help right away, while we can bring along Greene.

We got two players for the price of one, and a future pick.

This is an A+ deal

2. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

C'mon people, your negative responses are making me lose faith in humanity. Ignore the 54 pick for a second and let's do some simple math.

A. Originally we had one pick, at 25.
    B. Now we have three picks, 28 (Donte Greene), 33 (Joey Dorsey), and Memphis' 2009 pick which almost assuredly will be a high-second pick since Memphis is an annual sucker. So I'm guessing 31-34 on that one.

Three picks are better than one, right? And wait, it gets better.

At pick 25, Morey had his pick of the flock. He could have taken any of Batum, Arthur, or Greene. For us to make such swaps at picks so close to each other means that ultimately Morey valued Greene the highest. He wasn't going to just drop two spots here, a spot there to pick up second round picks if the dropoff in first round talent was significant. ERGO, Greene was the guy he always wanted.

If you follow that logic, then yes he could have played it safe and taken Greene. But he had intel. He knew San Antonio wanted Batum, and that Portland at 27 did also since Portland is attempting to produce a pale imitation of San Antonio's "international farm system" strategy. So what did he do? He PUNKED San Antonio, colluded with Portland and told them to take the guy he wanted, and that they could have Batum for the mere pittance of their highest second round pick this year. But wait, it gets even better.

Morey must ALSO have known that Memphis wanted Arthur most out of anyone else available to them, so instead of doing a simple two-way with Portland and asking them to select Greene, he asked for Arthur and then blackmailed Memphis into giving up their second round pick in 2009 to trade for him. In summary, Morey got the guy he evaluated as the best (Greene), and out of thin air he pulled two high second round picks.

If he's not the best GM in basketball, I don't know who is.

And btw, if you have a problem with the players he evaluated as the best for the Rockets, ask yourself how such a savvy negotiator as the person I described above, the same person mind you who drafted Brooks and Landry last year to the collective disappointment of all Houston fans and analysts, has not AT LEAST warranted the benefit of the doubt in this similar instance.

Thank your lucky stars your favorite NBA team has the best GM in basketball.

3. Pimphand24

Pimphand24 Member

Very nicely put Spacemoth. Nice work.

4. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Or its *Morey on the phone*
    Hey Portland, yeah you of the Brandon Roy punk move, you OWE us one you bastards :eek:

The whole makes-no-sense part was how they initially worded the trade : Rockets trade Batum to Portland and get Dorsey from them, then get Greene from Memphis. Which is what happened but it was like how in the hell did Memphis get involved without Portland or the Rockets giving them anything, they just give up Greene for nothing :confused:

So the Rockets did indeed get Arthur as originally reported then traded HIM to Memphis, now it makes sense.

5. a la rockets

a la rockets Contributing Member

I was kind of disapointed in trading fellow Frenchmen Batum (high potential kid), but I trust Morey and have hope that these 2 picks will pan out.

6. natrix964909

natrix964909 Member

Although he is nowhere near ready, Greene has the upside of a very high lottery pick. If he is able to develop, he could replace T-Mac down the line. He is not as good a ball handler, but he has much more post potential than McGrady.

7. Junetastic

Junetastic Member

This trade makes sense, but why Joey Dorsey? I just read he's 6'7". This team really loves undersized players.

8. kikimama

kikimama Member

Did you read about his 7'2" arm reach? Tall doesn't really equate to blocking, it's about timing and jumping power.

9. Tornadoofsoul6

And boy does Joey Dorsey got hops. :eek:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rs5WXIVS3p8&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rs5WXIVS3p8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Dorsey is starting to grow on me.

10. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

"This new trade makes NO SENSE ..." I guess you said the same thing after we traded for Landry ... :rolleyes:

11. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

What or whom does everyone expect to get when you have one of the last picks in the 1st and 2nd round and we're not giving up any players on the roster? :confused:

As for Morey's dealings with this draft and last year, it's like he's wheeling and dealing with CIA intel and wire taps on what every team around us and knows what they're thinking to squeeze every little bit extra he can get. :cool:

It's too bad he wasn't running things 3 years ago because who knows what he could have done with a lotto pick? I'm sure he would have got us way more than Battier. :(

12. holysilence

holysilence Member

Dorsey can really protect our paint when Yao and Mutombo is out (it will happen at least sometime). Who else can do this? Battier?

13. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

JOEY JOEY JOEY

14. Dei

Dei Member

Morey was the guy who pushed with that trade, AFAIK.

15. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I assumed it was all JVG since he seems to not want anything to do with any rookies.

16. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Honestly, whats up with this Joey Dorsey pick?!

CDR was perfectly left on the table for us, and we take a PF of the same height??!!! CDR would have been awesome.

Apart from this Dorsey pick, I am greatly pleased with this draft for us.

so excited..............
    so excited..............
    so excited..............

17. Possum

Possum Member

Where are you getting this info from?

18. CoolHandLee

CoolHandLee Member

Dorsey isn't a terrible pick. He's just another 6 fouls we can use against Duncan and Boozer. Besides Morey said that he was one of the best defensive big men in the NCAA so that's gotta be worth something.

19. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Great GM-ing indeed :) I guess we just have to trust the Rockets organization with the guys they picked. We might think what's best for them by looking at some games and some highlights, for example CDR who i also thought would be a great pick but indeed look at last year. Landry & Brooks both fit great, let's just hope these 2 work out great too. I'm glad they both like to block shots and the fact Greene is 6'11, finally some size !! Hopefully they can contribute right away.

20. Possum

Possum Member

http://stats.chron.com/nbadraft/players.asp?id=37949
    One of the most popular players in Memphis history, helped the team win 126 games in his four seasons with the Tigers. Memphis went to the round of eight in the NCAA tournament his sophomore and junior years, and lost to Kansas in overtime in the title game this past season. Matured and developed into more of a team player during his senior year. Was held scoreless in a win over UCLA in the NCAA tournament semifinals, but grabbed 15 rebounds and neutralized Bruins star Kevin Love. Kept Love - a physical player and likely top-10 pick in this year's draft - out of the middle, making it difficult for him to post up. Aggressive and strong, averaged 9.5 rebounds and 1.9 blocks per game as a senior. An average of 3.5 of those rebounds were on the offensive end. Plays with high intensity and runs the floor well. Has improved somewhat on offense, but isn't likely to be a consistent scorer in the NBA. Averaged just 6.9 points per game in his final year, and 6.7 for his career. Gets most of his points on put-backs. Lacks post skills and his shooting range is limited. Terrible free-throw shooter, made 37.8 percent of his shots from the line this past season and 42.0 percent in four years with Memphis. Best suited to play center, but lacks ideal height for that position. Could be a high second-round selection as he reminds some of Cleveland Cavaliers center Ben Wallace with his muscular frame, penchant for rebounding and lack of offensive skill.

Cant find attitude problems in any scouting reports.