1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This new trade makes NO SENSE

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WhoMikeJames, Jun 26, 2008.

Tags:
  1. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

If we had just picked ourselves, then we wouldn't have Memphis' second rounder next year.

Since it really appears as though Memphis will suck next year, that could be a handy thing in the 2009 draft.

We'll be picking 30th, 31st and 60th :D

2. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

Hell, this outcry is NOTHING compared to the past. Not sure whether that's good or bad though. Everyone was screaming for Morey's head last year and look how that turned out.

3. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

It's a good thing. Morey bought a lot of love with the success of last year's draft and most criticism has been qualified with some statement about Morey's past success.

I know, its strange to have a GM you really trust. :D (same with the texans)

4. Landlord Landry

has anybody or any site besides "Houston's 'mis'-leading information source" confirmed this deal.....??

as it stands now, Batum and Maarty are still Houston Rockets.........

5. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Clutch confirmed the trade.

6. Landlord Landry

well, then I can officialy say I think it's a crappy trade. :)

7. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

where, if you dont mind me asking.

8. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

so how come no one is sad about not getting arthur?

doenst he have the greatest upside?

i am a bit confused

9. JVGFAN

JVGFAN Member

It's not a bad trade. We get an extra 2nd rounder next year. I think its a well played deal for the rockets. I kinda would of liked CDR or Chalmers, I feel like they fill a need a little better. Greene is tall which is something we lack on the floor at times, we'll have to wait and see how it plays out. We may not be done dealing yet.

10. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

That's what i thought, he was the most talented. But wasn't he the one every team had some health scares about and that's why he fell so much?

11. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

From Clutch's quick article, the thing that stands out to me is that the 2nd rounder could be used THIS season at the trade deadline. It's another trading asset that the Rockets lacked.

12. MD_in_Training

Chad Ford is still reporting that Arthur is the one who got traded to Houston.

13. milkman85

milkman85 New Member

Our GM did a great job...we got 2 players and 1 2nd rounder all this for a player that probably would not make the team. Dorsey may not be tall, but he is defiantly a physical presence we need.

14. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

I would have loved it if we kept Arthur and drafted CDR at 33.

15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm surprised there are people who feel this way.

First, we screwed the Spurs out of getting their guy. Always a plus.

Then we traded Batum to the Trailblazers for Arthur and Dorsey.
    Then we traded Arthur to the Grizzlies for Donte Greene and their 2009 2nd round pick, which will be in the top two or three picks of the 2nd round.
    Finally, we got to keep our pick at 54 and pick Maarty whatever. I guess they like him? If he sucks he doesn't get a guaranteed contract as a 2nd rounder anyway.

In essence, we took our single pick at 25 and turned it into two players we apparently wanted and a future pick. Whereas in your scenario we don't get Maarty or the future 2nd rounder. Plus, there is no way to know if Joey Dorsey would have still been around at 54.

16. UrlPerlMonroe

UrlPerlMonroe Rookie

A shrewd pick, getting a 2 for 1 deal and early 2nd round pick for next year.

One smooth move by Morey.

17. natrix964909

natrix964909 Member

Because we got a future second round pick in addition to the two players. Also we were able to take a flyer on another player in the second round. Daryle Morey never ceases to amaze me.

18. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

where are we going to find roster spots for all these new guys? Especially considering that Badiane is finally ready to come over :D

19. MD_in_Training

I agree with everything except the fact that our "screwing" of the Spurs is necessarily a good thing. Obviously, either we're wrong about Batum or they're wrong about Batum. If Batum doesn't pan out, we saved SA from a bust. If Batum does pan out, we screwed ourselves (as well as SA) over by trading him. And going by the Spurs history with foreign draft picks, I'd say that if they liked the guy so much, maybe we should have taken another look.

20. ctry2582

ctry2582 Member

Assuming we re-sign Landry like how Morey wants, and add in Scola, where does Arthur fit in?

He'd just be another undersized PF.

This trade makes perfect sense.

Greene is a tall SF who can create his own shot, and is athletic. Something the Rockets lack.

Dorsey is like Ben Wallace/Jason Maxiel, a very big body who won't get pushed around in the paint.