1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This Might Sound Really Weird...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by superden, Sep 13, 2009.

1. superden

superden Contributing Member

But I think I sprained my ankle in my sleep. I woke up this morning to my ankle (it was a problem ankle, sprained it many times in the past) to a swollen ankle. It was painful all day and I was limping around like I actually twisted it, except I was fine going to bed and waking up with this painful ankle. Does anyone have any idea if you can potentially sprain your ankle while sleeping?!

2. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

3. The Drake

The Drake Member

Sounds reasonable.

I had a friend that dreamed he was being chased by the Terminator and woke up with a messed up knee.

4. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Sleep walking, sure. You take Ambien or any other sleep aid?

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

This sounds like the start of a David Lynch movie, and I'm kind of scared by this thread now. :( :eek:

6. superden

superden Contributing Member

No, I don't take anything. I am pretty young, 25 years old. I don't think I sleep walk? I have no idea what on earth happened...

7. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

If you weren't sleep walking you could have had a seizure. You may want to set up an appointment to see if you have epilepsy. I found out I had it during my freshman year in college. I had woken up with cuts and bruises but could never figure out how they got there. Well, my roommate saw me have a seizure, called 911 and the rest is history. One of the strangest things is, I only have seizure's in my sleep. I guess I'm fortunate because I could have my license taken away otherwise.

You can't be born with epilepsy, usually a sharp hit to the head causes a pinched nerve, which leads to epilepsy. It couldn't hurt to set an appointment with a neurologist to get yourself checked, especially if this isn't the first incident. Have you ever woken up with bruises on your tongue? It's very easy to bite your tongue while having a seizure.

Hopefully this is just a freak accident for you and not epilepsy, but it couldn't hurt to get yourself checked out just to be safe. Good luck.

Pugs

8. PointForward

PointForward Member

dude you probably just kicked the wall next to your bed or twisted your ankle while turning from one side to another in your sleep.. I'm a heavy sleeper, and an active one may I add :D : I headbutt, kick and punch stuff while sleeping and I don't even feel it.

I wouldn't give it much thought if I were you. it's kinda like when you strain your neck in your sleep, you're fine.

9. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

I wouldn't be surprised if you did sprain it. I know someone that dislocated his shoulder in his sleep.

Get it checked out.

10. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

Had a friend do a calf muscle in bed. Although he went to bed with cramp and somehow through the night manage to do some more damage to it. So very likely, only takes a bit of moving about and your foot to dig into the bed and you turn and there goes the ankle.

11. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I know I've pulled my muscle a few times when I was in bed.

12. VanityHalfBlack

Yes, we all have our shared experience, mine involves a sprained wrist...

13. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

You might want to get that checked out.

[​IMG]

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

That's exactly what I was thinking. When I had my first experience with gout, I thought I sprained my toe by banging it on the foot board of my bed.

If it is gout, I would go to doctor ASAP and get some meds such as Indocin. If you don't take care it early, it will last about two weeks and will even get more painful. Advil works if it a mild case.

15. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do you tuck your sheets in at the end/foot of the bed? If you do so and you're long enough, you might be inadvertently pushing against the sheets while you sleep. For years, I used to be woken up by excruciating charlie horses in my calves and I couldn't figure out what was setting them off. However, one night I woke up and noticed that I was pushing at full strength against the tucked in sheets at the end of the bed. As soon as I relaxed - BOOM - charlie horse in my calf.

Now I sleep with my sheets untucked and let my feet hang outside of the sheet. Haven't had a problem with the charlie horses in a long time.

So it's possible that if you also push against the sheets in your sleep, you could have twisted your ankle somehow.

16. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

You're right about it sounding weird at least.

17. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i5OlolbLXvw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i5OlolbLXvw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

18. MONON

MONON Member

Thanks for the info subtonic. I have had charlie horses while in bed before, but couldn't explain them. Yes we have tucked sheets. I'll look closer at this in the future.

19. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

bananas, gotta get that potassium, help keep the charlie horses down

20. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I had a similar experience.

I dreamed I ate a 10 pound marshmallow.

When I woke up, I couldn't find my pillow.