1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This is why Morey didn’t pay House

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mockster, May 7, 2019.

1. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

House has barely even played due to his injury, and when he did play last he had the highest +/- of any payer on both the Warriors and the Rockets. Green/Rivers who have taken his minutes, if you look at this last game had the lowest +/- of any players on the Rockets (aside from NeNe). I will never understand how a guy who isn't even playing gets so much hate, and when he does play it is a very limited role. You can avoid the +/- and go by the "eye test", and Shump didn't look great out there. He missed switches on defense as well as wide open layups, he had more turnovers than any bench player on either team.

Even if you claim Shumpert is a great defender, did he make a single play the entire game? He didn't completely close out on Iggy before the half and gave up a momentum building 3. Steph and KD were getting open looks, they just didn't drop and we are very fortunate. 0 steals, 0 blocks, 0 assists, 3 fouls, in 21 minutes

#61 BallSoHarden, May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019
  2. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

While I agree Morey shouldn't have signed him to put us over the salary cap, lets not be stupid here.. you're making it out as if House was demanding some exorbitant amount when he wasn't. In fact, he was requesting LOWER than the normal rate for players who contribute in the season but don't really play at all in the playoffs. The fact he even did well against the Jazz made his demands 'worth' it.

3. the shark

the shark Member

So you have a problem with House and his agent "asking for a nice deal" before proving himself in the playoffs? Seriously what color is the sky in your world?

You don't get the order unless you ASK for it!!!

Doesn't mean you're going to get it but you ALWAYS ask. They (mgmt) have every right to say "no" but you have a problem with them asking???

Go read Business for Dummies 101.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This thread is dum dum dum.

Why we fighting over Rocket players while the playoffs are still going on?

It's a grey issue with no real right or wrong side...

xaos and BamBam like this.
  5. amaru

amaru Member

Revisionist history. Morey would have paid House if he had the money. House wasn't paid because we are in cap hell and Tilman isn't paying the luxury tax for a non-superstar player.

Nook likes this.
  6. Johnbutte

Johnbutte Member

Watching the sagas of guys who over value themselves in house and Dallas Keuchel is fascinating. Still, I'd rather have house balling and contributing to wins than sitting on his rear with possibly fictional ailments.

Maxgx and Hakeemtheking like this.
  7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I do think the OP has a point. You don't want to overpay unproven role players, but it also was a question of whether you thought he was better than other players they could get for a vet minimum later. I think he is, but it's a fair point.

But House fans have this, and it's a better point... if they had been able to keep House rather than send him to G-League purgatory, they are likely the #2 seed this year.

Deuce, Maxgx, Hakeemtheking and 2 others like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

Right, but at the end of the day I think Morey would have paid House if he were in a position to. The Rockets made a business decision. I still think someone will throw more money at House than he has been offered. Having said that, House's decisions in the beginning of this series has put him on ice... MDA isn't going to risk it in a series where the teams are so evenly matched.

Maxgx, amaru and Invisible Fan like this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

if you think he's really injured you're welcome to believe that gimmick. house has sucked this entire playoffs, especially against GS.what's there not to understand? yall hof's put him on some star pedal stool. now that people are bringing you guys back to actual reality you get upset.

yeah shumpert has made plenty of plays in the last two games. if you can't even acknowledge that you have no business talking about him and its crystal clear what agenda is there. next

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

He's just like his namesake: no one wants to overpay for a House and sometimes having a House seems to be more of a headache but, at the end of the day, it's better to have a House than not have one. Besides, if this House doesn't work out, you can always move out/on.

11. amaru

amaru Member

I think it's fair to say that if the Rockets had the cap room, House would have been offered a larger contract. The reason he wasn't was because we simply didn't have the room due to repeater tax fears. It was less about House and his play and more about us being broke after giving Anderson 80 million dollars to warm the bench IMHO.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

not really. we're talking about morey here. he isn't overpaying some unproven rookie. the guy thats all about contract value who intially offered a non guranteed improved to a gurantee is going to give more money. Certainly, not if you're going to go with morey's track record

roslolian likes this.
  13. roslolian

roslolian Member

He isn't fitting well now that's the problem. Can't even get PT and was 0 his last few games.

Rivers and Shumpert oth are also relatively young and has been producing on the court. Priority to sign should be Rivers, period. Shumpert might be ok with 3M a year doubt any other team will overpay him.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Morey even played hardball with Clint pretty sure he would have played hardball with House regardless of the cap or not.

YOLO likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

Let's just put it this way..... if the Rockets REALLY needed House, he would be playing. The reality is that the margin for error in this series is really small for the Rockets. The Warriors and Rockets are both evenly matched.... and MDA is in his 60's..... he isn't going to risk a repeat of what happened early in this series against the Warriors..... he is likely iced for the season.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

sure did. but somehow the logic is unproven house was going to get the better of morey. not happening.

roslolian likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

I don't think that the Rockets would have over paid, but I do believe that they would have offered another million or two. The reality is that there is no doubt Morey didn't want to send House down for a month of the season, in such a closely bunched Western Conference.

amaru likes this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

i agree. the rockets clearly know by now what happens when players become unplayable. And especially against who houston is up against. now is definitely not the time nook.

Nook likes this.
  19. amaru

amaru Member

Don't forget whose franchise this is. Morey takes is marching orders from Tilman. Tilman made it very clear that he wasn't willing to go over the cap for anyone that wasn't an all-star/superstar. We are damn near capped out. This is why House was offered a lower contract. Clark had a similar hot streak as an unproven rookie and got a bigger deal because the room was available.

I understand that as fans we like to see players get their "comeuppance" for not agreeing to favorable deals for our favorite team but there's no need for revisionist history. Had the space been available, House would have gotten the contract he wanted or something close. He has the support of the FRANCHISE PLAYER after all.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

considering houston's injury situation, i don't think so either but even that still wasn't enough to up the offer. and I still believed he would be brought back for the playoffs just for depth purposes.