1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This is why Morey didn’t pay House

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mockster, May 7, 2019.

1. macan

macan Member

MDA was never a big fan of playing rookies in the playoffs

2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Agreed , there was "risk" on both sides . Houston might have lost out on locking him up below market , and house risked playing like ****/ getting hurt .

So far it looks like we will probably be able to resign him for cheap , but if we get past GS and he starts to play well , then maybe he ends up "winning" after all .

I was a HUGE proponent of signing him and not letting him rot in he G-league . But you are right , it all comes down to price , I thought there was room to do something like 3/8 and keep both sides feeling like they got a win . It didn't get done , I've moved on .

Rivers is the WAY bigger priority this point . I think Clark and hartenstein can potentially step in house and farried's role . At the beginning of the season everyone was talking about how solid Clark was for a rookie and then he fell off the map . If he can improve over the summer and be a more capable offensive player then losing House isn't the end of the world (it's not anyways )

topfive likes this.
  3. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I wouldn't be surprised to see House go off if the Rockets manage to advance to the WCF and beyond. These are simply not good matchups for him especially with all the emphasis on defense right now to contain Klay, Curry and Durant. Any one of these players would likely carve House up on offense and definitely get the ticky tack respect calls against him, leaving his offense as a sole contributing factor. His shot was off in game 1 which sucked making him a net negative on the court.

With Rivers being hot and Shumpert actually making 3s at a decent clip, House has found himself a spot on the bench. I'm so glad the Rockets tied it up 2-2 but still can't help but think it could be 3-1 if Austin Rivers played in game 1 over House and the officiating was better.

In a series where all games have been decided by 2 possessions or less, Rivers over House right now makes the most sense. Don't be surprised to see him back in the rotation if the Rockets make it to the WCF though. He has more favorable matchups vs POR/DEN and the Rockets will likely want to go back to an 8 or 9 man rotation like they did vs the Jazz. It's just this series is against the defending champs with a lot of emphasis put on defense and the officiating.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

hes played house. and he has sucked

5. Zergling

Zergling Member

I think House probably would've played a bit better if he didn't have to take an extended absence from the team in the regular season.

Remember, he was starting! We were basically using him as our new Ariza before we had to send him down.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

Rockets have no cap space, they didn’t clear anything

they can’t sign any star with no money

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

Rivers is by far above faried or house as far as priority resigning. neither faried or house are getting anything higher than min offers, nor should they

IvanLCPM, BaselineFade, Vivi and 3 others like this.
  8. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Morey didnt pay House so as to stay below the LT threshold... to say anything else is nonsense....

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

he didn't pay house more than what he was worth is far from nonsense and the fact that morey was right confirms it

Vivi likes this.
  10. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

It's just bad match up for him. You have to have battle-ready vets against the Warriors.

11. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I like house and he was offered first round pick money..... imo that’s all he’s worth he’s has a good 39 game that’s it that’s all he played.

You don’t give 3-4m a year off that sample if your a good franchise which houston is.

We need to save our money for rivers and use our bird rights to keep shump Before i give more than the minimum to house.

But rivers is a must he has to stay we need that guy in the worst way moving forward.

12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I don't see that at all. The Rockets are capped out. Aside from dealing Gordon(and maybe Nene's salary thrown in) for a third star, their options are limited. Plus why the hell would you trade EG after the run he's had since March?

The Rockets know how important Rivers is. He'll be their #1 priority. My guess is they hope House gets offers just low enough for them to be able to match(which they will). And then see if Faried will accept a 20% raise over the minimum deal he took to come here(I doubt it, but you give it a shot).

Best case scenario IMO is resigning Rivers and House and then trying to find a replacement for Faried(and possibly Nene if he retires or gets dealt in a salary dump).

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  13. kjayp

What? Morey offered him 3 year guaranteed contract - obviously he wanted to tie up House long term... but obviously the plan was LTS - so nothing more was offered. Were it not for trying to stay below the LT Morey woulda offered more of the mle - and not have to try to pay him out of next years mle - along w Rivers and Faried....

geez... talk about trying to create a narrative....

14. Agent94

Agent94 Member

That's not what I said. Of course if they are extremely close to the luxury tax line they will game the system to stay under it, but that was not their main goal. The main goal is cap space for next season.

15. WarEagleRockets

When he talked about how he was attacked, I stopped reading.

mdoggnic, BamBam and Tomstro like this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

huh? yeah he got a 1st round pick guranteed offer. he isn't worth anymore than that. not even close. In no way was morey offering house MLE money to some unproven rookie who hasn't even played an entire seasons worth of games. LOL youre fooling yourself.

where you get this LT issue agenda is your problem not mine

biff17 and Vivi like this.
  17. kjayp

Cap space next season?!? What r u talking about... Hardens max kicks in - we already have 120M committed on 7 players... cap space is moot.... mle, min and trades is the only moves... cap space...lol...

18. Agent94

Agent94 Member

My bad. I just looked at the numbers. They should have kept some of those bad contracts on the books to try and flip next season. I thought by dumping them they would free up some money, but they didn't.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Not sure why its so controversial to say that Morey knows what he is doing, and makes the right call in most situations.

Vivi, jordnnnn and YOLO like this.
  20. Newlin

Newlin Member

True. And a Morey did try to pay him. House was offered a contract that he refused to sign. Morey just wasn't willing to pay House more than he deserved.

YOLO likes this.