1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This is what the Rockets get...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kidrock8, Sep 4, 2001.

Tags:
  1. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

for dishing out so much money to Mo...

Add in Maloney's existent contract, and Cato's contract... And the salary cap is loaded with wasted space...

I don't think this is that big of a loss... It's not like we lost a strong inside force... We lost a guy who could only play decent offense...

In the long run, this is the best thing for Eddie and the Rockets...

This year at best, we win 50 games and make the playoffs, then lose in the 1st round...

Now, I project a 40-45 win year again, and another lotto pick...

Perhaps the lotto pick will allow us to shore up some holes for the 2002-2003 season...

Why exactly did we sign Mo for more than 3 years again?

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

And the Rockets were suppose to anticipate a possible season ending injury this year before signing him? If they follow that theory they would never sign any free agents!!!!!!

3. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Teams have insurance to counter the loss of the player while still paying...

4. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

You know I had to sit back a second, bite my tongue, and then cool down before I responded to this. Mo is not injury prone. I'm not going to say he is necessarily an iron man, even though he toughs out injuries, but he isn't overly injury prone. And to post something ridiculous like "This is what the Rockets get for signing Mo to that contract" has to be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard! It was a FLUKE injury, even though we don't know how long he will be out. Mo actually produced, but I guess since Mo is injured this is your chance to run in and call this "wasted cap space". I'm curious, if Francis had messed up his knee would you have called this "wasted cap space", and say this is what the Rockets get for signing Francis? I was hoping someone didn't run in here and basically gloat about Mo getting injured and then say "Nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, Mo got injured!" Because that is essentially what you are saying. And to compare it to Maloney and Cato just tops it off. The Rockets signed Mo because he helped them win this year. You act like they signed the guy AFTER he injured himself! Unbelievable!!

5. RocksMillenium

I'm also curious, if Mo isn't that big a loss, why did you pencil in Houston from a 50 win playoff team, to a 40 to 45 win lottery team after the Mo injury?

6. SMZ

SMZ Member

EDDIE EDDIE EDDIE EDDIE EDDIE EDDIE can you here it ?:)

7. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Starting lineup?

Francis
    Mobley
    Rice
    Griffin
    Cato
    :confused:

8. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Hey kidrock8, did u watch any Rocktets games last year?:p

9. outlaw

outlaw Member

Chris Gatling wouldn't be a bad replacement for MT

10. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Anthony Mason? Maybe Sign Marc Jackson now?

Mason
    Cato
    Rice
    Cat
    Steve

or

Jackson
    Cato
    Rice
    Cat
    Steve

11. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I consider a "big loss" in the form of an injury that transforms a TITLE CONTENDER to pretender...

Mo's injury takes us from playoff contender to playoff hopeful...

In the big picture, there's not a huge difference b/t 45 to 50 wins...

While we would gain some playoff experience most likely with Mo... Griffin will become a man a year earlier than planned...

Forgive me for saying this, but I don't see Mo Taylor being a key part of the Rockets success, 3-5 years down the road... While I see Griffin being our #2 or #3 guy...

12. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Yes I did... Which is why I'm not that pissed that the Rockets lose Mo for the year...

I wouldn't be going out on a limb by predicting Eddie to grab more rebounds than Mo did last year...

13. RocksMillenium

Well the Rockets thought differently, and they aren't comfortable with Griffin starting right away. Whether you like Mo or not this screws up everything, throws it off schedule, and puts the team in a dangerous position. Griffin doesn't have the weight to be an everyday PF yet, and Mo at the PF spot protected Griffin. Now Griffin is going to have his feet put to the fire without the proper size and protection. And if you only consider big loss coming from a piece of a title contender then you are fooling yourself. With that logic Kevin Garnett and Terell Brandon getting injured wouldn't be a big loss because Minnesota isn't a title contender.

14. The Voice of Reason

I know that if he is injured badly, that means that the rockets can apply to NOT have his contract count towards the cap. this is what the nets and heat did last year. the nets got the break, the heat did not. and that is why kittles didnt play andf Zo did later in the season

if it is serious, we will file, and we will be granted the cap space
    at this point we could look into some other free agents, and since i like jackson, wouldnt it be nice to give him a 1 year try )we would have enough space to steal him away from GS, and we could retain him with wizard/maloney money in later years. i know alot of you dont see him as our solution for the 5, but if we dont have mo, than jackson is a perfect replacement.

cap freaks please help me with the validity of what i speak for i am a mere mortal man, and i know not what detritis i speak

PEACE

15. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Kidrock, the Rockets are a game, a hobby for us and a business. Mo Taylor is a human being. Try to keep things in perspective. What has Mo done to you that makes you almost happy that he's injured? Just not liking his contract should not be enough.

16. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Goodbye Season!!!!!!

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

We can get an exception for $3.25 million according to the Chron. But, these exceptions are very hard to get.

18. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I'm not happy that Mo is hurt... Frankly, as a Rocket fan, I don't think this hurts the team that much... Personally, I hope Mo does come back, and shut me up...

As for Griffin, yes he may be too small... But Mo sure as hell doesn't "play his size" of 6-9, 265 lbs...

19. RocksMillenium

Just because he doesn't "play his size", doesn't mean he ISN'T that size! Just because he isn't a bruiser doesn't mean he isn't 270 pounds! And I don't know how you can say a 10 game dropped isn't that big deal! We're going to miss Mo.

20. drpepper

drpepper Member

Here's the real question that's on the back of my mind, and maybe yours!
    If we start EG, and he begins to produce like 17pts 10 reb 3.5 blk per game, then what do we do next year. I really don't think there is gonna be alot of pressure on him to score considering who all will be on our team this year. I think he'll get alot of putbacks from all the misses that could easily translate to 17-20 pts a game, not to mention his D.

I think Mo will have to earn his starting role next season. (if he is out for the season, ofcourse)