1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This is gonna sound weird but I need a club sandwhich right now...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Tha_Dude, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Asian Sensation

They gave u more fries this time but I can't tell if they're well done or older. The ones from the first time looked better. Please input.

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol. probably cooked a bit more, still really good though. :D

Asian Sensation likes this.
  3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Do they sell sandwiches at Treasures?

4. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

This is gonna sound weird but that sandwich was so good yesterday I had to go back again today. how do you guys feel about Reubens? with home made kettle chips. yum.

[​IMG]

5. Cranberry_Juice

[​IMG]

Os Trigonum likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

LOVE a good reuben. Nix the thousand island dressing, add horseradish and caramelized onions.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  7. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Yeah, grilled cheese.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Any...strip club sandwiches?

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That looks good. Where is that? Looks like it could use more sauerkraut, though.

You sound like you can't make up your mind between ordering a Reuben or the French Dip. caramelized onions with sauerkraut...yeah, no, I won't do that to my Reuben.

Having made probably over 10,000 reubens in my college days at Kahn's Deli and tried every Reuben I run across ... used to take vacations to tour famous Reubens of the US, you can say this is definitely one of my passions. Never came across sweet/savory onions competing with the tangy sour tartness of sauerkraut, especially on a brined beef sammich like the Reuben. To do that to a Reuben is turning it into a sandwich that doesn't know what it wants to be.

fwiw: Mike Kahn did put horseradish in his homemade russian dressing,,,so you do get points for that.

btw: Kahn's is still the #1 Reuben I've ever had. Mainly because of the way Mike prepared it, combined with top shelf corned beef, sauerkraut and rye. Mike stumbled upon his method due to having no Kitchen, and I have come to conclude it is the best way.

#70 heypartner, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    Os Trigonum likes this.
  11. Asian Sensation

I love meat, I like sandwiches and I was born in Murica. Never in my life have I had a Reuben sandwich or corned beef/pastrami in my life. Between og's pic and the one Buck posted in The Jason's deli thread I'm curious to try.

12. Buck Turgidson

It's cool, even old people are allowed to be wrong.

13. heypartner

Problem with corned beef and pastrami is there is a wide range of quality....just like there is a wide range of Roast Beef quality. One difference is simply the cut of beef they use. A top shelf corned beef and pastrami should be the brisket cut. And a top Reuben should be sliced from the tip....not the lean muscle of the brisket...that's for cold corned beef sandwiches.

My favorite Reuben is a combo of corned beef and hot pastrami.

Asian Sensation likes this.
  14. heypartner

yeah, me and 50 million other people who would never recommend turning a Reuben into a sandwich that doesn't know what it wants to be. French Dip meat the Reuben...lulz. Caramelized Onions and Sauerkraut and brined meat is silly.

But it's OK for middle-agers to think they're still cool and have brilliant ideas that will change the world like they had in their 20s. :p

No Chance likes this.
  15. Asian Sensation

Thanks for the pro-tip. I had no idea top shelf corned beef and pastrami can be formed from brisket. I'll have to find a place that does it right. Reuben's, pastrami and patty melts just never peek my interest when I look at a burger/ sandwhich menu.

16. Asian Sensation

Went to college back in the days... made over 10,000 Reubens in your lifetime, not in your 20's, not middle-aged either, uses "lulz and emoji".

[​IMG]

17. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I just came back from the Buena Vista Hilton Resort in Orlando and I can tell you the food there is a rip off for your money at best.

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Hate Reubens. However I did know a guy named Reuben and he was a good dude.

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

very cool. we learned something about @heypartner today.

This particular Reuben is from Trumansburg NY. If you are ever in the Finger Lakes region of New York and are still interested in sampling local Reubens, the one you've got to try is at Downtown Deli in Seneca Falls NY. http://www.sfdowntowndeli.com/menu.php

heypartner likes this.
  20. heypartner

note that pastrami from brisket is usually only for hot sandwiches. Pastrami is often under-cured, so it must be heated up. The to-die-for hot pastrami sandwiches are from the marbled cut, and will be very juicy and fatty. Many delis used to only use the marbled muscle, but the movement to ppl ordering lean cuts has led to many using the flat-cut only nowadays. These can be less flavorful and tougher. Most ppl like the lean, flat cut, thin-sliced for cold corned beef sandwiches (me included), but the marbled for hot sandwiches (both CB and Pastrami).

Alfred's and Kahn's Deli actually had a Hot Pastrami that was only the marbled piece. If you ordered lean, it can from eye-round, which was the deli's worst seller, good mainly for meat trays.

So, they both are sold as eye-round cuts at grocery stores, and such. I don't like that. The brine curing can't penetrate as well.