1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This country is getting worse, not just economy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rfila, Mar 19, 2009.

Tags:
  1. rfila

rfila Member

I hate to say this., because this is the country I have lived significant amount of time of my life and the country my son was born.

When I first came to this country, I wrote to my friends back in my home country on my impression of this new continent. I told them the most I like about this country is not its high tech, not its superstars in the sports and entertainment, not its super highway system, not its beautiful land covered by a lot of trees. It is the high moral level of the society with dignity and responsibility.

Today, the morel level is lowering. You see increasing number of drivers driving in a first lane at lower speed. They do not mind other vehicle passing them, they just want to keep more space than needed so they do not have to break often to save gasoline and maintenance. They do not mind disrupting the traffic flow and do not think their driving habits will cause the overall efficiency of the roads. This is just one of the many things you see everyday.

Then the broken law system. people are taking cheap shots at almost everything. I keep getting phone calls from a collecting agency recently. At the beginning I had no idea what this is about.(mind you, my credit score is 853, I have always been taking care of it). And the person could not give me any useful information about the debt either. Just told me I owe certain bank the money. I tried to gather as much information as possible and found out this was a bank err which I have disputed and solved back 1998. I explain to them, they won't listen and insist I pay and keep "sweeting" the deal for me. I got so annoyed and told them. 1)I do not owe than bank any money. 2) by law, it is not collectable for more than four year old debt even if there is a debt. 3) do not call me any more, it is wasting their time and my time because I am not giving them a penny. Nonetheless, they keep calling me and I practically can not do anything about it while I am getting frustrated. The law has so many loopholes, it is a lot easier for being a criminal than being a victim.

Then of course, there is the broken financial system, the broken political system and many other broken things. But I suspect they all have some to do with both the lower moral level and the broken law system.

Maybe just a venting, I hope the society gets better like the "old days" (I may not qualified to use those words). I am just wondering where to start with the whole messy situation.

2. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

I agree with you, but despite that, the United States is still the best country in the world. No country is perfect, in my opinion.

3. Rocket1

Rocket1 Member

Move back home.

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

sooo....when were things better?

5. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

I've come to the simple conclusion that all the stupid people are out breeding the smart people.

6. rfila

rfila Member

I agree. But I am more worried about the trend. If it keep slide at this rate, we could see the day of being the best end not before long.

7. rfila

rfila Member

I knew this was coming.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The highest credit score is 850

9. rfila

rfila Member

I do beleive people had more dignity and responsibility 15 years ago than today.

10. rfila

rfila Member

I thought so too untile I saw my score at both cardealers I shopped.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

actually, looking it up, there is some new scoring system experian is using, it goes to 990.

12. rfila

rfila Member

It really depend on how you define the words.

13. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Your thesis is that America is becoming a worse place.

The best two personal examples you can come up with to support this thesis are people driving too slow in the fast lane and a bank making a mistake about a debt issue.

If those are a couple of your bigger complaints about America, tell us where you are from originally. I imagine there would be far more to complain about if you were still living there.

There is no such thing as a utopia. No country is perfect or ever will be.

And if you can't accept that, nobody is stopping you from leaving. I hear China is colonizing in Africa. Maybe you can be one of the first settlers.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

1. I don't know how long ago you moved here, but the country was just as crappy then. With age, you've likely gained more experience, more perception, more wisdom or more nostalgia. That's all.

2. Driving slow as a sign of moral decay? Seriously?

15. rfila

rfila Member

Seems like it. experian just higher its limit, but does not seem to inflate the individual score. I do not know much about it though.

16. Rocket1

Rocket1 Member

Some things dont need to be debated.

17. Joshaaronb

Joshaaronb Member

I have made that argument before but there actually is a credit score system that goes to 990, VantageScore. I have never seen anyone use it in lending or any other place for that matter but it does exist.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

One can always make a case for "the better old days." I could wax nostalgic about how much better it was growing up in the 1950's, when parents didn't worry about their kids leaving the house and running amok. When you used your imagination instead of a host of "tech toys" that make a poor substitute, IMO, but what is the point? The '50's were terrible for a heck of a lot of people. Not only in this country, but in much of the rest of the world. I was lucky enough to be a kid of the "right race" (read White race), in a properous lower middle class neighborhood. So what? Inequality abounded.

You can make the same case for any era. There are many people that are doing quite well right now. The cars seem to more out of their way on the freeway in the fast lane. The banks still shower them with credit. Their kids go to good schools and don't have to worry about paying for their college tuition. In short, life is good. We have a Black, progressive President. The worm has turned. I don't own any stocks!

Be grateful you're here. I've traveled a lot, and while my country has flaws, and there are some other, smaller countries arguably with a higher standard of living, I've also seen the vast poverty in this world. You could be worse off, Jack.

19. rfila

rfila Member

come man, you can read better than that.
    First all, I was saying this country is getting worse than before. I did not compare it to the other countries.
    second,I did give two "trivial" examples. But they are not for the purpse you claimed. The first one is more and more people do not mind disrupt the flow just for the minimal personal gain. The second one is about people taking cheap shots, not about bank mistake.
    Are we both speaking foreign language?

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

In the fast lane. I don't see how anyone can defend this.