1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Third Star or Strong Roster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, May 5, 2014.

?

What will the Rockets do?

Poll closed Jun 4, 2014.
  1. Go all in for a max player this year no matter what

32.3%
  2. Improve the overall quality of the roster without adding a max player

55.2%
  3. Hold steady until trade deadline or next offseason's free agency

6.0%
  4. I abstain, courteously

6.5%
  1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

The 3rd star would have to be Rondo. Bev might as well be the point guard version of Gerald Wallace since he plays without any regard for his body. He is going to keep getting hurt. Rondo starting with Bev backing up and getting rid of Lin would be huge.

2. bobotheclown

bobotheclown Member

My preferences:
    1) Veteran/consistent PF and move TJ to the bench to develop so more
    2) Get a 3&D SF to back up Parson so he doesn't have to play so many damn minutes
    3) Develop Daniels some more
    4) Decent backup to Howard since we would probably have to trade Asik to get that new PF
    5) Upgrade PG position eventually.

3. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Think: Star
    Hope: Stronger role players

Which do I vote for? There are two questions and one poll

4. langal

langal Contributing Member

i say we make a desperate move and make a Carlos Boozer type of deal to hamstring us for years because "third star" trumps everything.

Joe Johnson for Parsons/Asik/Lin/Bev

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

Nowitzki & Carter as a package deal. Both are free agents.

They've got the seniority and skills to put Harden in his place and make him play the right way.

6. Madano

Madano Contributing Member

I believe getting either Rondo or Lowry would be the best route. Rondo is getting paid approximately the same as one of Lin or Asik and Lowry will likely draw that much in free agency. Rondo would probably require more to get (i.e. Parsons), but still, either one could be had for the equivalent of just Lin's or Asik's contract.

This would then leave either Lin or Asik to be traded, which is an additional $8mil in salary we can use. We could then use this $8mil to fill other holes on our roster or even possibly trade for somone like Milsap.

This would get us a "star" in Rondo, or at the very least a "star manager" that could help control Harden and the ball more. It would also allow us to fill other holes at the same time.

7. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

I don't think he would ever do it, but trading Lin with Terrance Jones and the Knicks 2nd this year for salary relief (and getting Garcia to opt out) could put us $10M+ under the cap and allow us to make a very serious offer to Dirk without even costing us Asik. You make a serious run with:

Bev/Canaan
    Harden/Daniels
    Parsons/Covington or Vet Min
    Dirk/DMo
    Howard/Asik

Plus you would have that 2014 draft pick to possibly be a part of the rotation or a pretty good trade chip combined with DMo to entice a decent rotational player in a trade. Or a really big trade possibility with Asik, DMo and the pick for a big time player.

You could even make a deal with the Celtics in mind if you could get Dirk.

Asik, DMo and the 2014 (and 2016 if need be) 1st rounder for Rondo or S&T Lowry.

Rondo or Lowry/Bev/Canaan
    Harden/Daniels/Canaan
    Parsons/Daniels
    Dirk/Vet Min
    Howard/Vet Min

It won't happen, but it is certainly possible if Dirk would be open to it.

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

We need better role players. Channing Frye, Gortat, Hinrich, Hawes, Thabo, PJ Tucker... some of those type guys.

9. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Dump Lin and Asik for Melo/Dirk
    Use MLE for a vet like VC
    Trade current first rounder for nothing
    Go over the cap to resign Parsons
    Find a backup C in the second or FA
    Likely need to dump DMo, Casspi, and Garcia too

10. Fighton

Fighton Member

figure out who you want to be as a team, what kind of team you'd like to become in order to win, then go out there and find the best players that fit your vision. We're still a pretty schizophrenic team.

a team with bunch of incompatible superstars aren't going to amount to jack. see 2013 lakers.

the spurs aren't obsessed with getting as many superstars as they can. they know who they are, what kind of system they want to run, and for the most part, find players that fit their system.

11. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Better coach

Morey has his ideas set already. Won't matter what we think. SMH

We'll see who is correct by same time next year.

12. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Having stars are great, but coaching helps you remain relevant for a long time. There is a reason why the Spurs are such a winning franchise. HOF coaching with stability, Tim Duncan, and great mgmt. They just keep plugging in the next guy and they end up helping the team.

The Rockets have 2 stars in their prime and would be a damn shame if they couldnt make a SG and a Center work(please refer to TMac and Yao). Kobe and Shaq off the court were a total mess, but they attained individual accolades and had remarkable success. And they did that with a young Kobe Bryant and a "prime" Shaq. Of course it didnt hurt that they had Phil Jackson...:)

Makes me think...should the Rockets consider implementing the Triangle offense??? I really think they would thrive off it...

13. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

14. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

Get the first star you can: Melo, Love, etc.

15. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Granger is awful, i keep seeing his name being mentioned in these forums by people who have no idea how awful he is. he is nowhere close to the same granger from the past. Think of Tmac returning from china with a bum knee, thats grangers status. pls no more mention

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I would love to see the target some of the following:
    Kirk Hinrich
    Dejuan Blair
    Mike Miller (if he opts out)
    Jordan Hill
    Kris Humphries
    Caron Butler
    Shawn Marion

If you could get a couple of those guys and then make a trade for a solid player somewhere, I'd be really happy.

Of course those are tier 2 players.

Tier 1A/B I'd look at are:
    Ariza
    Deng
    Bosh (if he opts out)
    Melo
    Lowry

17. i3artow i3aller

18. YallMean

YallMean Member

ask me 6 month later.

19. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We'll have a third all star and someone else out top...then fill out the roster with past their prime, but still capable vets near the minimum who want a shot at a ring/rings. Welcome to having your cake and eating it too...the advantage of the "superteams." ..star power AND depth..
    We're positioned perfectly...Asik has big time value as a top 5 center and Lin will be jettisoned....It's all good...From the beginning of this offseason, moving forward over the next 4-5 years, it's going to rock in here. Enjoy our window folks!

#39 Plowman, May 5, 2014
    Last edited: May 5, 2014
  20. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I hadn't seen him play really; I was basing off the assumption he still had somethin' left in the tank.

Appreciate the analysis.