1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Third All-Star returns

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jan 9, 2014.

Tags:
  1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

edit for error

#81 crash5179, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Really? Did your magic 8 ball tell you that Swami?

3. fluors

fluors Member

I don't understand why any Rockets fan would object to one of its own in the NBA ASG. I voted for all of them. Sport fan voting is nothing new and has always been arbitrary. Fan voting is utilized in the NFL Pro Bowl selection procedure, as well as the MLB and NHL All Star Game selection procedures. In addition to fan voting, all of these selection procedures incorporate second and third level player and/or managerial fail safe mechanisms that ensure a certain or minimum level of fairness. But fan voting has nothing to do with merit, talent, or who deserves it more. It's about personal preference, choice, player loyalty, and who we want to see in the game. If healthy, eligible, and selected to play, no NBA player should turn down the opportunity. That would be a slap in the face to all who voted for them.

4. Yohohoho

Yohohoho Member

So the east is set and the west comes down to CP3/Curry and Griffin/Dwight.

5. PullUpJ

PullUpJ Member

BS man just BS some of these names dont belong anywhere close on the list

6. deedee82

deedee82 Member

I'll be happy if our WHOLE team got into the ASG. It's already long known that its a popularity contest.

Why can't people understand that and b**** about it supposedly being about skills when its simply NOT designed that way?

Quite a number of deserving players are scraping the bottom of the barrel for votes simply because despite how good they play, they aren't all that popular.

That's simply it, and I would be more than happy if anyone from our team makes it to the ASG.

So much for supporting the team and not any individual player.

7. t3ddt3ch

t3ddt3ch Member

Damn people hatin on Lin like they used to hate on Yao. "I'm embarrassed"..."He doesn't deserve it". All star break is a popularity contest. I don't care if DMO got voted into the All Star Game. It's all for fun. You don't want someone on your favorite team out there that's on you.

1 person likes this.
  8. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

Yao was number 1 pick and always had the gift. Yi was a much lower pick and nobody was sure if he would pan out... are you suggesting that Yi would be as good as Yao if given more/better development at the start of his career?

9. Karolik

Karolik Member

Who cares if Lin is 4 ? So what, the guy is popular. He won't be in the all star game anyway, seriously all I see in this thread are a bunch of crybabies over a meaningless game.

10. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

All-star starter selection is a flawed process, but it's not meaningless.

Players have contractual agreements that alter their pay depending on whether they make the all-stars.

11. langal

langal Contributing Member

If their agents negotiated those contracts - that's on them. Should base the bonus on the All-League teams instead.

Personally - I don't care if some young millionaire misses out on a bonus. I doubt that the posters voicing their displeasure here are doing it out of those concerns either.

12. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

http://www.troll.me/images/full-r****d/you-went-full-r****d-never-go-full-r****d.jpg

13. chandlerbang21

There will be an uproar if Lin makes the ASG

14. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

I don't know why you're criticizing Lin fans for voting lol. You actually should criticize Harden's fans for not voting. Harden has millions of fans but they are lazy to vote for him. ...what gives.

And....where are the true Rockets fans? Have you guys voted?

1 person likes this.
  15. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I'm not following.

The point is that the selection is not meaningless because it has implications on some of the players' pay structure.

16. Karolik

Karolik Member

Who else has one in their contract besides Harden? I'm pretty sure most agents are smart enough to include another condition, i.e. Harden must average 20+ pts per game. Regardless, meaningless or not, Lin is #4 and no where near the top 2, people are just being babies.

I don't think thats the case. Harden is just not as popular as Lin. That doesn't mean Lin is a better player though.

17. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Paul George also has a similar contract.

Plus, all-star is a recognition award that has implications on a players' legacy. More often than not, the all-star recognizes the most talented and skilled players of the game.

18. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

I know Lin is more popular but Harden has 1.6 twitter followers, not too shabby...just 1 tweet from each...one!

19. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

It doesn't matter. It's a popularity contest and like it or not despite Lin being a mediocre player and an average PG at best is very popular and his fans have done nothing wrong in voting for him repeatedly.

On merit, Lin will never be an all star but that is irrelevant since ASG is always for the fans

1 person likes this.
  20. Curtanne6

Curtanne6 Rookie

To say Lin will never be an all star is so mean...this is i think the board that shows disrespect to their own players...Most of the CF have no love for the kid and wished for his trade...Trust me, no pg would want to play in houston, its all politics...look at dragic, lowry at other teams so if Lin Managed to escape this hell, and plays with other team that can use his optimum talent and produce incredible numbers, i hope that all these people here who bashed Lin will not say, "oh we shouldnt let him go" CF is getting ridiculous each day...even for ASG is a big issue...common this a popularity contest, theres a reason why nba have a voting system right??? If you are a James Harden fan so why not help him to gain some vites instead of whining....lols