1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thinking of buying a Tivo ...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KellyDwyer, Nov 1, 2004.

1. drapg

drapg Member

Home Media Option.

It lets you stream music and pictures to your TiVo through wired or wireless Internet.

2. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Excellent. Glad I've waited on both the home media and upgrading our tivo.

3. edc

edc Contributing Member

The Home Media Option is NOT (yet) available on the DirecTV TiVo DVR. The boxes are capable, but DirecTV has yet to "approve" the functionality.

4. keeley

keeley Contributing Member

Get a TiVo. Watching Bears games has never been easier. It takes about half an hour, as thirty-second skipping is roughly the exact time between plays when they're not running a hurry-up offense. Plus, you don't miss any of your favorite daytime soaps anymore! Your wife/girlfriend doesn't, that is.

I have a DirecTV DVR and it's simply the greatest invention - and I haven't even begun to use HMO yet. I don't think my unit is capable anyway, but when it's time to move, I'll look into getting another DVR that is.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Where did you buy your TiVo and it wireless kit?

The Circuit City that I have checked did not have the wireless kit.

6. drapg

drapg Member

You don't need a wireless "kit"

All you need is a wireless adapter. Since I use a Netgear Super G 108Mbps wireless router, I picked up a USB 2.0 wireless adapter, which I plugged straight into the USB port of my TiVo.

Unfortunately, TiVO's can't handle anything higher than 802.11b technology, so I can't take advantage of my Super-G router.

I'm stuck at 11Mbps. Plus, since my router is upstairs and the TiVo is downstairs, I only get about 75% signal strength.

But it still streams MP3's and pictures very smoothly.

Do some research before buying any old USB adapter. I know the Linksys 11Mbps USB adapter is officially recognized by TiVo to work with their units. The MA111 Netgear adapter (which I use) also works.

Some, however, do not.

go to www.tivocommunity.com for more info.

It's the greatest TiVo resource on the web, hands down!

7. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Thanks again everybody, you guys rock.

1000th post!

8. AGBee

AGBee Member