1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thinking about going to Buenos Aires to learn Spanish

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by AroundTheWorld, Jun 3, 2010.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

3. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Get a senorita to teach you - but seriously, immerse yourself in it and you will learn. If you hang out with people speaking your native language in your off time, you'll fall short of how much you could have gained. Finito

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Well that would be part of the plan...to immerse myself ;).

Seriously, yes, I would try to avoid being around other Germans (I did the same when I was in Houston), and I would try to avoid speaking English, too. Good advice.

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Didn't you visit there on your South America trip before?

I'll get right down to the point - it's a nice city, but I was a little disappointed with the women (they were a little too big-boned and plastic surgicalized for my taste :grin: )

The people there speak Spanish, but a majority of the people are actually of Italian descent and the culture is much closer to that of Italy than Spain.

Nightlife is good and the city is huge, so there's quite a few interesting neighborhoods to check out (Recoleta, Retiro, Palermo, etc). But there are a lot of depressed low-income and crime-ridden areas as well so you have to be careful.

The best desserts and ice cream I've ever had were in BA :)

As the name suggests, the air in BA is really good. Unfortunately the car exhaust seems to negate this. Beaches aren't all that great, as the water isn't very clear. Also summertime there is ridiculously humid.

If you go, make sure to visit Bariloche. It's about a 2hr flight away. Absolutely beautiful scenery and nature.

A couple of my favorite movies are from BA, you can check em out to get an idea what the city's like - 'Son of the Bride' (which in Spanish is 'El Hijo de la Novia') and 'Nine Queens'

I took a Spanish course in Granada many years back. Didn't learn much, but the good thing is that lotsa hotties from all over the world always sign up for learning Spanish. It's like the college advertising major of languages.

1 person likes this.
  6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Thank you pippendagimp :). Yes, but last time (7 years ago) I only stayed in Buenos Aires for a few days (in Recoleta, where I think I would stay again). I actually like the Italian/Spanish mix they have in Argentina, as I love Italy. I like the way they speak Spanish, too (my Mexican friends in Houston really disliked it).

Bariloche is definitely planned - two of my friends from Germany are planning a trip there, currently my plan is to spend 3-4 weeks learning Spanish there, and then my friends come down there and we travel around the country (I have only been to Buenos Aires and Iguazu there so far).

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

have some friends who were happy with this website listing nice luxury apts for short-term rental:

http://apartmentsba.com/

8. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Just go stand under the Westpark Tollway between Chimney Rock and 59. Few days there and you'll be set.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think this sounds like fun, and a great way to learn the lingo.

Good luck ATW !

DD

10. esteban

esteban Member

Ha ha ha, so true!

11. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Argetinian's talk the weirdest spanish..

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Messi es mejor que Maradona :cool:

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Many thanks for this link. They have some nice ones. Still wondering if I should stay in a hotel or rent one of those.

Does anyone have any current insight on the security situation in Buenos Aires?

14. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

aaahhh...buenos aires. definitely one of my most favorite cities in the world. the steak and women are absolutely out of this world.

15. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

My brother just left for Damascus, Syria for a year to become natively proficient in Arabic. He spent last summer is Alexandria, Egypt. Best way to learn.

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I would find Arabic interesting as well, to understand the culture better, but I'll focus on languages where it seems more promising to pick up chicks first ;). I wish I could be fluent in all the major languages in the world. I think that if I had unlimited money and would not have to work, this might be one of the goals I would pursue.

I had this one colleague who was amazing in that respect - she is half Spanish/half Italian and grew up in Switzerland. So growing up, she was fluent in Spanish, Italian, German and French. She went to high school in England (so became fluent in English) and later studied Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin, I think) and Russian at university, and apparently spent some time in these countries. Later, she moved to Denmark and also became fluent in Danish (that's when we both worked together). I think I am actually forgetting some languages she spoke, but I must say I envy her for that ability.

17. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

Yeah it sounds great, but it ain't cheap to do that, man. I would love to be fluent in Spanish, but I don't think I can afford to live in Spain for a year.

18. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

He's part of UT Austin's Arabic Flagship Program, so they cover all costs. You'd be surprised by the amount of money that's out there for getting people to fluently learn critical languages (i.e. really be dedicated enough to attain native proficiency in a language, not just learn to speak conversationally).

Apart from official university-sponsored programs, the US State department also has several funded language programs for critical languages (link).

I visited while he was in Alexandria, Egypt last summer, and you'd be pretty surprised at how cheap cost of living is there for Americans ($2 mixed grill kebab platters, $3 haircuts, dirt cheap rent, etc.)

While I was at UT, I studied abroad in Italy for a semester. I paid UT tuition while I was there for 12 credit hours (which I would have paid in Austin anyways), textbooks were far cheaper in Italy than they are here, and my rent in Milan was cheaper than what I was paying in Austin. So pretty much, the only extras I was paying for was my roundtrip ticket and for traveling around Europe while I was there (which if you've been to Europe, you know how cheap it can be if you're a college student strapped for cash).

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

How is this a question? If you have the opportunity to do it, do it.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

You are German right? I recall there were a bunch of Germans who went to Buenos Aries and surrounding area to learn Spanish back in the mid-to-late 1940s.

:p