1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"things will come up that will make you go whoa"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oakdogg, Apr 18, 2000.

1. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

That's the quote from a CC.net source on the main page in reference to what could be the busiest offseason in Rockets history. Considering how busy the last offseason was, it's tough to imagine a busier offseason. My prediction (not the standard of what I would consider a successful offseason) is that both Cato and our pick will be traded. Don't know for what, but maybe a pick that would get us Chris Mihm. What do you all think?

------------------

2. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

yep, should be a fun off season, im lookin forward to it. I hope we dont break up our nucleus though.

chris mihm ? no thanks, would rather have cato.

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I second that -- would much rather have Cato.

From what I understand, Cato will probably be on the block because his work ethic is a serious concern .... it's not the talent level he's at currently. Just with that work ethic there's probably concern he won't ever get to the stage they're hoping he will... I mean look at him in the preseason -- guy was all over the place busting his ass.

Team may be concerned they need to deal him now before he becomes a cap burden.

There will be changes this offseason. That quote you got there is exact. The idea I got from it was some of the changes in mind are already being discussed but he/she could not go into obviously.

Source is 100% reliable.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

4. brahma rocket

brahma rocket Member

i dont care what happens this offseason as long as steve francis and shandon anderson remain rockets. and of course dream.

------------------
    johnny "red" kerr:i'm glad the bulls did'nt draft steve francis.

dan roan: why!!!!!

johnny red kerr:because he would forever be compared to michael jordan.

5. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Black Rob would be proud.

------------------
    $42million. 7 years.

6. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

My opinion is the same, it is going to be a great offseason and the core has to stay together.

------------------
    THE DEAN

7. playahata

playahata Member

A move for K. Martin will cure what ails the Rockets.

------------------

8. 3pointer

3pointer Member

As long as the Core is together its all good!

Now the question is : We know for sure that Francis will be here..... but after that ?
    We would like to think that Mobley will be here too but will money get on the way of that ?

Anderson more than likely is here to stay , it would be a shocker if he was traded and if he was it would have to be one awsome deal.

Williams , sounds like it would take something major for Rudy T. to give him up , after all this is the guy they have been after for a wile so now we have him so why give him up specially since he has shown everyone what he is capable of doing.. (but was it too late though? )

Ke. Thomas seems like is part of that nucleous we keep talking about , too much potential in him to just give up after one yr... we keep.

Martyn Norris (a.k.a. Moochie Norris) is a player that I think is very capable of being the back up pt. guard we need , fast , great moves to the basket , can see the court real well , has Rudy's trust as plays have been called for him and he has delivered... from everything I have read and the vibes (if you will) that are given out through the media sounds like he is a keeper...

Cato , Drew , Miller, C. Rogers(good first half but not good second half) Devin Gray , Tony Massenburg and Bullard ... Don't be surprised if they are not here next yr. either by trade or renounced .

Can we say BUSY SUMMER !!!!!!!! yes we can..

Let's all hope for the better

GO ROCKETS!!!

------------------
    Thanks Hakeem for all the memories and the 2 championships...
    The torch has been passed... Francis , the making of brand new
    great memories for us rocket fans !

9. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Man, Clutch. After coming to Clutchcity for so many years, I'd have to say one of the most exciting developments ever has been legit 'inside info' coming to the site. The site will still be hoppin' this summer! There's a lot to talk about!

------------------

10. Elie#17

Elie#17 Contributing Member

"come through in the Porsche slow like, woah."

=) Houston Rockets we kicking-it like woah.

Elie#17 out here like woah--!

------------------

11. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Maybe not Mihm. It does sound like Cato may be on his way out, and if he is, we'll have to get another center somehow. Man, moving a guy with a fat contract like that is going to take some work, and I don't know if we'll really get that much good for him. It may be like the Pippen trade, which it turns out did not do anything for the Rockets except get rid of his large contract. Only reason I see them moving the pick is that other quote that was up on the main page a while back saying that outside the top 5, there weren't any impact guys in this year's draft and that the Rockets may move up or down. I say keep Francis and Mobley (if you can). Everyone else can be moved, though I see Moochie, Anderson, Pig, and Bullard staying as well along with the Wizard and Kenny unless a good trade pops up. The rest can and probably should be moved IMO if there are takers.

------------------

[This message has been edited by oakdogg (edited April 18, 2000).]

12. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Am I the only person that hasn't heard that "whoa" song??

I need to keep up on current events more carefully...

A-Train

------------------
    Does anybody have a cool idea for a signature??

13. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

We're heading into my favorite time of the year, the offseason. The Rockets are the perfect team for hot stove fans to follow. They never stand pat and they never seem to make a deal where you don't say "Whoa". This may sound silly, but I know I'm not the only one who gets a rush when someone posts a hot new rumor in here, especially someone who has come through in the past. I've got a feeling this place will be as wild as the NASDAQ this summer. I can't wait.

------------------

14. 3pointer

3pointer Member

The heck with NASDAQ , this place will be wilder then that !

------------------
    Thanks Hakeem for all the memories and the 2 championships...
    The torch has been passed... Francis , the making of brand new
    great memories for us rocket fans !

15. RocketSiv

RocketSiv Member

I didn't read the front page yet but I get the rush you are talking about Grummett and that little quote right there is making me giddy with anticipation. The busiest offseason that to me says we are in hot pursuit of a big time free agent as we speak and I think we are all thinking about the same franchise player. and yes they is tampering going on, we all know its going on and basically there is nobody to police it. Offseasons are fun, the lockout offseason was tough, the last one was fun once the Rockets finally started to make a move and this one looks like it is shaping up to be even better. I'm excited it only one and a half games until the little petty rumors start flowing through Houston.

On a side note on the radio they have mentioned that they have talked to somebody, can't remember who but somebody we all recognize the name of in the organization, I want to say Postolos but I might be mistaken, anyways they said that the thinking behind the Cato signing was while it was a big contract there is always a market for a young 7-foot shotblocking center with potential.

------------------

[This message has been edited by RocketSiv (edited April 18, 2000).]

16. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I dont know about any of you all but Grant Hill or Tim Duncan would certainly make me go "Whooooooaaaaaa"

------------------

17. triplebogey

triplebogey Member

I don't much care for getting Mihm, either, but if the Rockets can trade Cato this offseason, I'd definitely say, "Whoa!". Yeah, I'd want some kind of big man in return, but I'd mainly want to get rid of his fat contract.

It's ironic that his work ethic is now being questioned. I don't know anything compared to Rudy and CD, but I was convinced Cato was a slacker with a whiny attitude ever since he was at Iowa State. I remember watching him and Dedric Willoughby play UT at the Erwin Center. Cato showed no offensive game other than the dunk (which can only come from a feed from another player, not at all from his own move), poor hands in receiving passes and grabbing rebounds, lack of mental discipline to stay in focused on the game, and complained to the refs after every play. In short, Cato's problems then are still his problems today. This reinforces my belief that he won't get appreciably better because he doesn't have the mental makeup to do it.

So, yeah, we might not get someone who is better than him, or even as good as him, but the Rockets would be free of his ridiculous contract. That means that they free up that much more room to go after someone who IS better a couple of years from now. I'll take a hit at center next year w/o Cato because the contract will then be someone else's problem.

------------------

18. treeman

treeman Member

There is only one deal out there that would make me go 'Whoa': Tim Duncan.

Even that is plausible. The Spurs are old. They need a new PG, SG, and (when Tim leaves) a new C. Elie will also be gone soon. Cato, Drew, some picks, and a bit extra in some other form ($ or player) may very well be enough to get their attention, and the prospect of playing with a young, rising backcourt (and a good bench) may be enough to catch Tim's attention.

If the rumors we've been hearing for the past couple of months are true, then Houston is Duncan's best bet. You can be sure his agent knows that, and so does CD...

That would make me say 'Whoa'.

Mimh? No. Bad fit, not ready, etc...

Grant Hill? That's another story...

------------------

19. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I think some people forget that Cato comes from a team where he was the backup as he was at the beginning of the year in Houston. Now he is the starter and that takes some adjusting to. I don't remember one center in this league that came off the bench one season and then put up stellar numbers the next as the starter. The last guy that they tried that with was Ike Austin and where is he? I think next season or the season after Cato will put up better numbers after getting use to the starting role and an overall better feel of the Rockets organization.

------------------

20. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I don't think we are gonna have the chance to see if Cato could develop further with the Rox.
    He's gone!!
    At the beginning of the season I was talkin all kinds of good stuff about him,

Don't I Feel Like A Idiot!!! [​IMG]

He has bad hands,no fire,and getsvery few boards.
    Hmm..gee..he gets blocks huh? I would rather have a center who has off. moves, and gets us some boards.Especially considering how well SA, Walt, and Stevie get some blocks because of their speed and leaping abilities.

Bottom Line...
    Trade Cato!! Trade Drew,C.Rogers and T.Mass.

Keep...Cat,Franchise,SA,Walt,KT..everyone else is expendable.

------------------
    The Playoffs will suck with no Rockets in them!!

Go Rockets

[This message has been edited by Rockets2K (edited April 19, 2000).]