1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Things that you find offensive.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketsPimp, Aug 7, 2000.

1. davo

davo Contributing Member

1. Prejudice
    2. People who impose their beliefs on others
    3. People who open their doors and dent others cars, or let their shopping trolley runaway and dent a car.(Thats for your wife Jeff)

------------------
    Current Rocket's Salary & Contract Info

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm offended that HP misquoted me by putting "negative" in front of "presumption." I never said "negative." [​IMG]

To address BlazerGirl, you assume (like many people) a causal link between racism and ignorance. This idea seems akin to the one that says that if someone knew that something was wrong he wouldn't do it. Both assume that man is fundamentally good and that their acts of evil are just mistakes or misunderstandings. I think man is fundamentally evil and that evil is done with perfect understanding of just how evil it is. My personal belief is that racism does not stem from ignorance. I think that one can be perfectly well-informed and still be racist.

It also begs another question: you presume it is true that a person cannot be racially superior to another. In contemporary culture, this is an axiom most people -- including myself -- live and think by. I don't want to question its validity here. But, do you really know for certain that it is not true? Is it completely impossible that racists, instead of being ignorant, are actually enlightened? After all, the charge of ignorance relies completely on the Truth of the thing the the subject is charged with not knowing about.

Finally -- and I'm probably splitting hairs at this point -- even if being a racist requires that one also be ignorant, it does not mean that an ignorant person has to be racist. It is possible that a person ignorant of the Truth about race and the Truth that no race is superior to another still not think that one race is superior to another, simply because it hadn't occured to him.

Ok not quite done: calling someone or their belief ignorant is an easy way to dismiss that person or belief without refuting it. That's useful in its own way even. But, it is better to understand racism -- and even what racism has to teach us (right Jeff?) -- before we throw the idea in the garbage.

Let's get back to things that offend:

1) People who misquote me.
    2) Insurance companies.
    3) People who tire of my bad French and speak to me in even worse English.

------------------
    Rockets Draft Obligations Summary

http://www.gaffordstudios.cjb.net/

3. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

i am offended by:
    pimps
    mondays
    chinese food
    saying 'i love you too baby'
    vegetarians
    pointless big trucks that guzzle gas
    3 foot rules
    puff daddy
    insecure policemen (actually the lesbian ones are THE worst)
    dorks
    stuck up women
    george w bush
    sh*tty drivers
    posters who think they know more than god
    kobe bryant/damon stoudamire
    and big leaugue chew

------------------
    i am rather like a mosquito in a nudist camp..i know what i ought to do but i don't know where to begin...

4. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

The fact that I can't get sweet tea out of the Southeast.

When my kitty of 5.5 years sits next to my significant other of 4.5 years.

Australians. I have this funny 'drive across the country' story where an Aussie at a hostel was telling us a story about his chap wearing friends (also aussies) that were riding by motorcycle across the west coast. He asked us if he and his friends offended us. My friend and I asked both in unison "Australians?". He said "no, fags". The answer to that was also no, of course, but it was a pretty damn funny conversation.

------------------
    "At one of these governors' conferences, George [W. Bush] turns to me and says: 'What are they talking about?' I said: 'I don't know.' He said: 'You don't know anything, do you?' And I said: 'Not one thing.' [Bush] said: 'Neither do I.' And we kind of high-fived."
    --Republican Gov. Gary Johnson of New Mexico shares a verbal exchange that took place between he and George W. Bush.

(Quote is from the Los Angeles Times, 5/31/00)
    Dubyah Speaks

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Hangover is offended by Chinese food?
    I love Chinese. Maybe if u tried it when u werent hungover... [​IMG]

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

1. Posting in stupid threads is not FUN!
    2. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are not FUN!
    3. Stupid BBS names are not FUN!
    4. Annoying Mango can be really FUN!
    5. Conduct yourself in a FUN way!

The Fun Police are Watching.
    Eat MANGOES & Have FUN or be Assimilated.

6. JCBlazersGirl33

"Have a little tolerance. Understand where your stereotypes came from, and try to understand where other people's stereotypes came from."

How can you tolerate something that offends you? Stereotypes are NOT acceptable when the majority starts to accept them becuase they do indeed begin to affect the lives of others.
    For example, i was hanging out with a few of my friends at a Sam Goody for about 40 minutes. They happened to be white, as am I.

We were having fun and were never bothered. A while later, the same exact activity was performed with other friends of mine, who happened to be mostly black and one of them was hispanic.
    Every 20 seconds the sale person was inquiring "Can i help you?", in a curt voice -and we were doing nothing out of the ordinary. She didn't seem to have a problem with me but was rushing my buddies.
    That AFFECTED me. The lady was obviously caught up in stereotypes. I had the same color skin, eyes, and hair as her so she wasn't threatened by me; my friends were a different story.
    Demeaning stearotypes like "blonds are dumb, jews are cheap, arabs are terrorists,hispanics are etc..are NOT to be tolerated becuase they blind us.I don't believe these stereotypes are means of communication; they are means of handicapping it.
    I look at people differently now. I saw, for once, only a small FRACTION of what people from the minority side feel.

BTW, i dont mean to offend anyone with my opinions, i just feel passionately for this issue.

7. JCBlazersGirl33

"I think man is fundamentally evil and that evil is done with perfect understanding of just how evil it is." I can't blame you for thinking this way, i must admit, but i beg to differ. I believe exactly the opposite, that man (or woman [​IMG] ) is fundementally good and that there are only a few bad apples in the bunch. For example the Nazies committed one of the most notorious, ruthless, evil atrocities against a people but through it all there were good people who risked their lives and their families lives to fight against the "Final Solution"

"Is it completely impossible that racists, instead of being ignorant, are actually enlightened? "
    [​IMG]
    Juan, come on buddy, i can't believe what I'm reading. [​IMG]

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Is Stereotyping Inherently Bad?

If you think so, can you explain to me why stereotype is a bad word to you? Is it always a bad word? Do you think it is only done by offensive people?

And most importantly, at what point in your childhood did you personally stop stereotyping, pigeon-holing, classifying (name your favorite euphemism) people in general. I ask because that is quite a feat. Comments about never stereotyping, can often launch us into a boring philosophical debate about "Objectivity".

---------------------------
    The race thread we had last week, said racism is nearly dead based on a semantic argument by Kagy. Racial bigotry is more accurate a phrase. Are we now supposed to treat "stereotyping" as bigotry. They are not the same word.

I am hearing from people that there is only racism and anti-racism, stereotyping or no-stereotyping. Can't there be a spectrum. Not a great divide. Can we have tolerance to understand miscommunication is most often the cause for claims of racism, bigotry and stereotyping.

Consider the tolerance and maturity it takes to say; "you know that sounded like a racist comment, but let me treat the man with respect as an individual...he probably meant it another way or has some other reason that is perferctly sound where he was raised. Let me ask him and learn."

what do you think of that type of World!

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited August 08, 2000).]

9. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

pardner,

I agree with what you are saying. I have one problem, though. I think you are making up this other thread. I seemed to have missed it. Can you (or someone else) enlighten me?

BlazersGirl,

I am very familiar with the situation you used as an example. This is a very common occurance, but I have seen it go the other way as well. As pardner is saying, this is not a black and white (no pun intended) issue. It is on a scale of amount. Everyone does it to a degree. Whether it be race, age, whatever (after all, stereotyping or prejudice is/are not specific to race).

I am white
    my wife is not
    my children will not be
    But I still catch myself holding onto stereotypes. I am not ignorant. Try as I may to be perfect, I am still human.
    At the ame time, I have been lucky enough to have had an amazingly diverse background. I have been in the minority (most of my life), I have been in the majority.

I have seen racism come from many different angles, in many different degrees, and with different results.

Juan,

Why must you feel you are evil? You have given me some really good discussions/debates in a very short time. Knowledge/idea exchange of this kind has nothing to do with evil.

------------------
    "The living room is the factory...

The product being manufactured... is you."

10. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

pardner is in orbit and his timescale is a bit off. That post was probably a month ago. [​IMG]

It was totally a tangent, and I can't remember the parent of the thread (just to help you out in your search [​IMG]).

------------------
    "At one of these governors' conferences, George [W. Bush] turns to me and says: 'What are they talking about?' I said: 'I don't know.' He said: 'You don't know anything, do you?' And I said: 'Not one thing.' [Bush] said: 'Neither do I.' And we kind of high-fived."
    --Republican Gov. Gary Johnson of New Mexico shares a verbal exchange that took place between he and George W. Bush.

(Quote is from the Los Angeles Times, 5/31/00)
    Dubyah Speaks

11. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

-Standardized testing for school children
    -Politicians who use standardized testing as a way of saying they have improved education in their state
    -Having educators incentive packages tied to standardized tests results
    -People who blow their nose in a restaurant

------------------
    Save our children from the TAAS test:
    TAAS test report card
    TAAS test fact sheet

12. JCBlazersGirl33

"Anyway, racism actually does offend me usually, though I've got no problems with ignorance."

I'm offended by both ignorance and racism becuase if you're a racist, then aren't you ignorant? I mean, a racist, a mere mortal, is ignorant enough to believe he/she is racially superior over another mere mortal; ignorant enough to indulge in stereotypes and generalizations concocted about a large group of people instead of being concerned with the individuality of the people/person before him/her.

------------------
    It's an absolute warzone in my house; I live with Rocket fans, Knick fans, and Laker fans.

13. Steve_Francis_rules

I definitely find racism to be the most offensive thing there is.

------------------

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

15. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

sirhangover:

Vegetarians? Sorry. Didn't mean to offend you. [​IMG]

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

16. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

[​IMG] means I like you!

ha, gotcha!

------------------

17. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

hey jeff your vegetarianism doesnt offend me as much as bettencourt does...

actually i have had a string of vegetarian girlfriends and going out to eat has its complications..also listening to her b**** about 'dead flesh' can get old...

i just dont know how you can justify a life without fajitas... [​IMG]

seriously though you are famous now with the SOR deal and i know better than to rock the boat with dissenting opinions against the almighty admins...

so i retract my statement and ill simply say:
    garden burgers offend me... [​IMG]

------------------
    i am rather like a mosquito in a nudist camp..i know what i ought to do but i don't know where to begin...

18. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

sir: I was just kidding (but you knew that). Actually, my wife was a vegetarian long before we met and she never ONCE criticized my eating habits. I chose this long after we met for my own reasons.

I HATE it when someone lectures me on anything so I can imagine how uncomfortable it would've been if my wife would have done that to me on vegetarianism. That strident holier-than-thou thing doesn't work on me or you, obviously.

As for fajitas, I never liked beef, only chicken and I just found a chicken substitute from a company called Veat. It is the most incredible thing I've ever seen. Boca makes a very good one too but Veat is like getting a frozen chicken breast that has no chicken in it.

I have yet to try it in fajita form but, if it is anywhere near as good as it tasted grilled, it will be near perfection. Plus, no fat.

Oh, and I appreciate your deference to me because of my perceived fame but I assure you it is not necessary. I will be very happy when the arena gets passed and I can just go back to plain old Jeff. You have no idea how old politics up close and personal can get!

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

19. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

heypartner,

This is the Kagy quote that you remembered:

"Heypartner is on the right track. Speaking in semantic terms (my favorite kind), racism is nearly dead.
    Racism as per its stock definition refers to the belief in the inherent genetic superiority of a racial group. That belief is exceedingly rare nowadays, and the only people I ever hear espouse it look like someone dragged a Sears catalogue through a trailer park. These people aren't to be taken seriously.

Bigotry, on the other hand, is the irrational hate of or prejudice towards an ethnic or racial group. And that is alive and well. Bigots are to be taken seriously, because you'll meet them in every social strata in America.

I'm just voting in favor of tightening the nation's vocabulary."

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum7/HTML/001012.html

Mango

------------------
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum
    2. Use clear wording for new threads
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself as an adult
    The Serious Police are watching
    Donate Blood or be assimilated!

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member