1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thibs signs with Minnesota.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by iNoseBleedRed, Apr 20, 2016.

1. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

It's looking like JVG or Brooks. Cyberx and Woj disagree on JVG's likelihood to sign - certainly the rumors support cyberx in terms of JVG's view of Les Alexander - but Brooks wouldn't be the worst hire in the world if we got a top-level assistant or associate like Gentry to run the offense.

2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

And as much as I wanted Thibs, I was skeptical about him controlling personnel moves. And Scott Layden? Isn't he the dude who ran the Knicks as badly as Isiah did?

3. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

This is the real reason why we needed to miss playoffs... Get a head start on new coaches.

1 person likes this.
  4. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

I've been saying this for a while now, but Minnesota is going to be a very scary team.

5. count_dough-ku

First of all, Thibs wasn't gonna happen. He wanted complete control. Secondly, if being in the playoffs "costs" us Scottie Brooks because the Wizards get him first, it may have been worth getting the 8th seed and losing that pick. I want no part of that guy as our next coach.

6. malakas

malakas Member

Coaches should never be GMs. Ever. That Layden guy is only going to be a puppet who makes the ohonecalls and drafts the contracts.
    I am desperate to get rid of Kidd for this reason. Coaches are too shortsighted and impulsive and have no clue on maket value.

Now most likely Thibs will sign only defensive roleplayers and probably soon get rid of Shabbaz and Dieng. And if Lavine and Wiggins dont learn to play any defence still who knows what happens with them too.

7. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

Thibs to Les: Hire me, then fire Morey first.
    Les to Thibs: have fun in MN!

8. count_dough-ku

Some can handle both jobs. At least for a little while. I think Pop was doing both gigs after he replaced Bob Hill with himself. Of course, lucking into Duncan less than a year into his head coaching career didn't hurt.

I believe Riley also did both in Miami initially when he bolted from the Knicks. And despite not reaching the Finals for over a decade, they were far more successful under him than they'd ever been before since entering the league. And oddly enough, they only made it to the Finals and won it all after Riley fired SVG halfway through the season and promoted himself to head coach.

But those are two of the most legendary coaches/GMs in NBA history. They've got....I don't even know how many rings between them. 12? Thibs is great, but he's never run an NBA front office before. This could be a great hire by the T'Wolves, but it could also blow up in their faces.

9. hakeemthagreat

Answer me this. If JVG is like the spokesman for coaches as far as sticking up for them after being fired, clearly he has a good rep among his coaching peers, wouldn't that make us LESS attractive if he doesn't "trust" our organization? Add the fact pretty much every coach since JVG left on bad terms....What makes you think ANY respectful coach will wanna come here?

10. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

I think the best remaining candidate is David Blatt

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

More like

Les to Thibs: i had to pay Kevin squillions, will you work 2 years for free?
    Thibs: well Minny offered money
    Les to JBB: you got us to the playoffs, another 2 years (for free again)
    JBB: ok, but Brewer stays.

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I think Blatt was (is) the best candidate.
    I know Lebron didn't like him, but he seemed able to get results (and which coach did Lebron like?)

13. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

Hey congrats to the rockets on making it to the playoffs by the way

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Lulz. Can't wait for another year of JBB+Brewer.

15. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

This season just gets better and better

16. Fantasma Negro

Japan bombed Pearl Harbor

17. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

Forget it, he's rolling.

1 person likes this.
  18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

wouldn't be surprised if minny simply offered more money than les

19. colt45nyc

colt45nyc Rookie

Didn't the jews sink the titanic too?

20. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

You prefer Brooks to McHale? I don't. At least McHale has (had?) an identifiable skill in coaching up young bigs. I can't think of anything Brooks has shown himself to do well.

ISO-Durant/ISO-Westbrook will become ISO-Harden. That's definitely no better than McHale.