1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thibs and Brooks being considered by the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

...and all the while Chris Finch is in the corner still updating his resume.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Please don't make me cry. Not another loop like we had with McHale. We were stuck in that thing and the guy kept topping our expectations although we knew from day 1 he was not a championship coach - his performance kept deluding us into thinking maybe we're wrong.

This time let's start the other way around. NO MATTER HOW IT STARTS, let's get a coach who has the interpersonal and technical skills to take a group of egotistical human basketball players to beat the record breaking Warriors. We need someone who can close the deal with the right players. We don't need a stepping stone coach who disciplines the team till someone else comes along and motivates them. That's stupid.

It's NOT Thibs, although Thibs can very easily take us to the WCF. But he will not take us all the way, and he will not KEEP us that good for even half a decade.

It's definitely not Brooks, who couldn't win it with a great team.

It's got to be someone new. It might even be JVG because JVG must have learned by now that what's keeping him from a job is his failure on offense. He's been watching, learning, analyzing. Maybe he has caught up? If he agrees to be progressive on offense by DELEGATING the task, then I would give him a shot over Thibs.

But the truth is I believe we need to take a risk. We need to find our Pop our Kerr our Jackson. We need to look at assistants who are NAILING it both as players coaches and strategists. I don't want to choose between these things anymore, and I'm willing to tolerate a learning curve to get it.

We need to raise our expectations. We need to get a players coach and strategist who knows how to select talented people to delegate to. WAY easier said than done, but we have had all the time in the world to look and still have a couple of months to do so. COME ON Rockets. Don't drown us in this stupid cycle that 99% of teams live in. We have a generational talent and 1-2 max cap space slots and fantastic role players in D-Mo, Bev, Capela, Ariza, Beasley.

3. fattz

fattz Member

Why? Did you see this season? On "all-star" quit after mid-season & the other started the season at #285ish plus ran the coach off and plays NO D. His TEAM needs a strong coach that has the power to do things his way; not just X&O's but personal to play his way. Stat sheets are fine but the fit & contract of the player are the most important things.

4. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Is that you Morey??

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I have no issue with the next coach having a say in personnel. Including say in assistant coaches. Its the coach who's continued employment is based on W-L and I would want him getting players that will fit in his system. No more "Brewer plays, even with a hurt arm/shoulder, while the better player sits".

I also want a different system, btw... or at least players that fit the system. If you are building a team around 3 and D I want players that can hit a damn wide open 3 and defend. And make their damn FTs while I am at it.

6. NewRoxFan

btw, I'd look at Blatt. And I am surprised folks are mentioning Luke Walton's name. Especially if he talks Ron Adams into coming with him. ;-)

7. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

THibs is the number one choice. Period. It's known.

James has already let mgmt know.

Peace.

PLAYOFFS BABY! We're going to 7 games.

1 person likes this.
  8. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ettore messina.

/finalmente

9. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I'd be very happy with Thibs as long as they complimented him with a good offensive assistant coach.

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Either is ok as long as they start before Game 1.

11. NewRoxFan

Finch. Even the sound of his name is horrible.

Fairly or unfairly, his name is the catalyst for the beginning of the Rockets coaching woes. And until this season (after McHale was let go) you never heard from the guy. He sat on the bench, apparently drawing up plays or doing something that didn't require speaking.

For all I know, he is a mastermind coach and will take some other team to the playoffs. Or maybe he goes back to being offensive assistant and quietly sits at the end of the bench. But if I am given a vote... *flush*

12. FeaR

FeaR Member

I wish i was.

13. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Then you are fired.

14. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

This just made my day. Thanks as always, Cod.

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

There's no way that "winning the title" can ever be included in a nightmare scenario.

Winning a title is the only scenario where I'd keep JB around.

16. OTMax

OTMax Member

Good, Thibs in, Morey out :p

17. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

If I've this. Get thibs, sign Whiteside whose defense would even get better and who would have a mini max, and sign durant. That's a good pitch for durant. Would love horford as alternative too. Any of the two would work well with thibs.

18. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

LOL STOP IT WIZ

Durant ain't coming, they just continue to be a crap franchise wasting John Wall's career.

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

This team doesn't have the self-discipline and maturity needed to have a player's coach. I mean, this season is pretty freaking evident of that, isn't it?

20. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

And what are ya hearing on Morey? I'd love Thibs but no way do I think he's shown he's qualified to have personnel say.