1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

They canceled SXSW, lmao

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Remix

Remix Member

Seriously. All it takes is one person at an event like that and thousands become affected. It would pretty much down the city for weeks if that were to happen.

With the rodeo going on here, I expect a boom of reported infections 2 weeks from now.

malakas likes this.
  2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I honestly wish they canceled it sooner for us who live here. Don't get me wrong, the revenue lost will suck to say the least, but at the rate companies/events were being canceled (iirc as far back as 2 weeks ago), it was already going to be a skeleton of its normal self.

It might have given people more time to plan different stuff/maybe get reimbursed on flights. I am with you on limiting going out until we know more. I'm also really concerned with our silly allergies here not knowing if we're contagious (ie like our garbage allergies here sometimes make us feel like a cold is coming on, obviously no fever but perhaps we're already contagious with this instead), and let's say we don't get sick but we're unknowingly spreading it. I mean that is an awful scenario, but I've been thinking about it more since we had the discussion on allergies on the other thread and you're absolutely right. I love Austin but this is a really bad time for allergies. Some lingering Cedar, then mold, and now oak ramping up etc etc. I mean I guess it might be better than this happening at the start of Cedar, but it also depends on what we're allergic to.

Deckard likes this.
  3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I don’t get the LMAO part.

malakas, CCity Zero, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  4. VanityHalfBlack

Have you ever gotten sick attending SXSW before? Come on man, this is in Texas, this ain't China, Italy or whatever. Have some fun brotha!

Mr. Brightside likes this.
  5. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Two weeks ago Italy wasn't China, either. Now look at them. It's just getting started here, another week or two and it's going to be ugly...

malakas and ThatBoyNick like this.
  6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, it's true: Italy probably has more hospital capacity for critically ill patients than we do.

CCity Zero likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

No, I've never gotten sick from attending SXSW. I've also never gone into anaphylactic shock from bee stings, but I'm not going to go out and beat on a beehive with a stick, no matter how fun it might be.

Deckard, arkoe, malakas and 3 others like this.
  8. VanityHalfBlack

Bunch of babies, all of you. Yall better be at the rodeo too. YOLO b****es.

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

This article is two years old. What did St Louis do that saved countless live during the 1918 flu pandemic? They shut the city down.

[​IMG]

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local...cle_52e5e46d-1f30-5f31-a706-786785692bb5.html

In early October, city health commissioner Dr. Max C. Starkloff ordered the closure of schools, movie theaters, saloons, sporting events and other public gathering spots. Churches were told to suspend Sunday services. At the time, with nearly 800,000 residents, St. Louis was among the top 10 largest American cities.

“Most places in the country did not go that far,” Gordon said.

Thanks to the quarantine, St. Louis’ death rate in 1918 was lowest among major U.S. cities. In Philadelphia, where bodies piled up on sidewalks when the morgues overflowed, the death rate was nearly twice as high.

malakas likes this.
  10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am good friends with the President of SXSW, they did not want to cancel but with all the sponsors pulling out...then the city cancelled.

This is a ton of lost revenue for Austin.

DD

Rashmon likes this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

You'd shoot up the TicTok ratings if you did that. Earn millions of followers to boot

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

There are a lot of people who aren't going to like doing what they'll have to do over the next few months. Pretty much everyone.

CCity Zero, DaDakota, arkoe and 2 others like this.
  13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I always feel like you are screaming.

CCity Zero, B-Bob, arkoe and 4 others like this.
  14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

You’ll are making me feel like I don’t have enough canned goods stocked and I’m going to have to resort to those canned goods on the expired shelf that are at least ten years old...some probably dating back to the late 90s. Ugh. Twenty year old chicken Vienna sausage anyone? I had some canned fruit that was so old that the lid popped off and it rotted. And, these cans have left rust marks on the shelf they have been there so long. It’s like a hazardous area I dare not venture.

#34 Surfguy, Mar 8, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    Deckard likes this.
  15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

"*Breaking News* Tens of Thousands are ask to self quarantine after exposure at Houston Rodeo..."

Next CNN Headline.......

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

No kidding. That thing should be shut down.

Though from another perspective, sporting events and theme parks are all going strong nationwide. I don’t know how much worse the Rodeo is. Can’t help though.

17. GIGO

GIGO Member

Maybe none of these for the rockets players this year.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. VanityHalfBlack

I would watch you make a youtube video of that.

OmegaSupreme and B-Bob like this.
  19. GIGO

GIGO Member

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  20. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

Fear for no reason. So sad.