1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

There's No Quick Fix

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rimrocker, Oct 15, 2011.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Come on people, there's no formula, policy, or tactic we can just magically implement to make the economy better.

We can't fix politics with a couple of ideas that address the margins of the problem... and those would likely be watered down greatly if they were to ever pass at all.

This notion that policy or new laws are going to solve our ills is foolhardy and a refuge of weak minds. We have the ability to change the economy and the country, but it won't get done debating about the finer points of term limits or CEO compensation rules.

In HS, I played with a DT who would get so mad at the OL trying to block him that he would become obsessed with beating the guy into the ground. Meanwhile, the running back would scoot right by and never get a glance, much less a tackle. That's where we're at right now... focusing on unimportant stuff because it makes us feel better instead of expending the effort and mental toughness to go deal with the larger problems.

We need to change the whole damn culture of the country, starting with politics and finance. But we won't until we reach the breaking point, and then it could go either way.

1 person likes this.
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The problem is. .. those most able to change the culture . .. have no interest in doing so
    because the culture favors them

So the question is. . how to change the culture
    while working against those in power who wish to keep status quo

Rocket River

3. cml750

cml750 Member

Good post!

4. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Bingo. However, let me ask you this. Would you rather keep the status quo, or would you nudge/not hinder this country to the tipping point in the hope that something happens even if the 99% loses?

I think if one is a family man, then they will choose the former. The system is amazing if you're willing to set aside moral and ethical considerations in exchange for a much better standard of living as opposed to that of the OWS protesters.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Recessions that come from real estate busts are more prolonged than ones caused by other asset bubbles like stocks and commodities. Couple that with credit shocks and fears of more to come means that one or two year recoveries are remnants of a fleeting and roaring past. This has been known before the presidential elections were decided.

We are not culturally ready for political change and action because there are people smart enough to recognize symbols of change and think long enough to get large groups to move against it. Those who don't want another FDR-like or Kennedy/Johnson-esque period of sweeping changes study, dissect and formulate measures against it. Take the civil rights and anti-war sentiment in the 70s. Marginalize views you oppose as radicals and lunatics and lionize the front you support as patriots and freedom fighters.

None of this is new, but the accuracy and penetration of messaging, triangulation, and advertising is getting better by the minute. We're also becoming one trick ponies specialized to specific tasks, sometimes at the expense of becoming more well rounded to our surroundings in order to earn more at the expense spending that time needed to know more. Maybe two-trick ponies. I should be tearing up by bball fantasy league by now...

We love wars and wars by proxy (sports), but the most dangerous game, politics/economics, makes people gloss their eyes over when given the details. Something is deeply wrong at how we're approaching this.

1 person likes this.
  6. cml750

cml750 Member

Wow, that is very profound and true.

7. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Or maybe any moral or ethical standard in which 99% lose is not a very good moral or ethical standard.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I agree.

But I think we need a major technological breakthrough to improve living standards. We really haven't had a major one since the '70s and have run out of the "low- hanging fruit" to keep improving our lives. I agree with the book "The Great Stagnation" by Tyler Cowen.

We expected to have growth in the 3-5% range for a long time, and that's not happening no matter what tax or regulation schemes we have, I don't think.

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

It has been three years. Plus there really has been two recessions, one for some people, one for the rest.

10. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I think you misread my post because what you said was my intended message.

By setting aside moral and ethical considerations, one can rise up the proverbial corp ladder. In other words, because it comes at the expense of the 99%, it isn't "good" and that there is no standard. I'm talking about a very amoral, Machiavellian individual.

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Ironic coming from the poster child of "Democrats good, Republicans Bad" posting for years and years now. It's almost as if someone hijacked OP's account.

12. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Can't we just follow Clinton's plan. Our economy was at an all-time high when he left office and it only took George Bush 8 years to make it at an all-time low.

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The biggest problem with America is the lack of long term thinking. We are a short attention span culture and that includes our economy and our politics.

14. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

What needs to be addressed?

Politics: old, rich white guys with power? I am not one of them.

Stock market? I don't earn my income through capital gains.

Finance? Give a man a dollar, tell him to come back with that dollar and somechange tomorrow.

I hear once people reach 50 years old, if they are laid off from work they may as well collect unemployment until they can retire. They stand very little chance of finding a similar job with similar pay. Thank god for golden parachutes.

15. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I don't think you have read all the posts you think you have read. I would more accurately describe my oeuvre as "Democrats craven, Republican leaders evil, Republican base stupid."

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

nope he's one of those "this place is so ****ty and terrible that i will read every post so i can tell people how ****ty and terrible they make this place" type posters.

17. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

your mean

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

As a regular Joe, I don't really care for fixing anything. I follow politics mainly to understand what the future environment for me would be. But I don't particularly wish for certain things. I just make sure I adjust accordingly in order to prevent myself from getting screwed.

Rather than hoping the government rights itself, I prefer to make sure I'm doing the best I can regardless of the situation.

19. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

This.

The politicians are all worried about what will make them look good for the next 2-4 years so they will get re-elected, and worried about out-doing the opposite political party. But there is no long term vision. But you nailed it, our short-term culture is not thinking enough about the long term either so they are just feeding into the short term thinking in Washington.

I'm not sure what the solution is, but I do know that Washington is sorely lacking in the ethics department.

20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

And thats exactly whats wrong with our country. Everyone has the same mentality. "Whats in it for me... screw our future generation"

1 person likes this.