1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

There's a distressing lack of leaked info on the Rockets plans

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LelWestbrick, Jul 11, 2014.

1. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

there is no reason to be so down on the rockets right now. Bosh was never a Rocket. We lost nothing except for 2 over-paid backups. Right after we lost to portland my initial reaction to the rockets was that the money being spent on Asik and Lin could be better spread around and the rockets could be deeper.

They have ~15 million in cap space and the option to resign the 25 year old Parson. Harden turns 25 this year, they will each grow and get better

thanks for your info roe

2. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

answer me this one thing roe4christ, is melo 100 percent not a discussion anymore?

3. roe4christ

roe4christ Member

Tough to say right now because we are looking at a few different options. Will depend on what FO deems the greatest need and whether other parties work with us.

Really, got to get back to the situation at hand. Will check back in later on. Hang in there guys/and gals.

4. TISNF

TISNF Member

Once all the dust settled I'd be VERY interested in how much of a verbal committal was given to Houston by Bosh or his agent. I was stunned the Rockets were willing to go ahead with the Lin trade without the full guarantee of Bosh.

Either Bosh's side essentially gave the go ahead for the Lin trade in committing to Houston or there was a glaring lack of a contingency plan in place. Obviously everything is/was fluid, just still shell shocked that the Lin trade would be rushed through without the full commitment.

Or ridiculous conspiracy here: some form of tampering involving the Lakers/Heat/agents.

5. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Going to sleep. When I awaken, I would like to hear 1 of these 2 things...

A. We've found a 3rd star to sign
    or
    B. Yao Ming, is completely healed and ready to play basketball again.

anything else is unacceptable.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

So who's roe again? I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but that Lebron info was already known late last night...

7. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

is anthony morrow available? he'd be a great fit. maybe split the cap on him?

8. Nook

Nook Member

I know for a fact a verbal commitment was given prior to the Lin deal. At this point no purpose being angry or upset.

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

Maybe there's a "distressing lack of leaked info on the Rockets plans" because Morey is busy earning his paycheck right now. I'd rather have him looking for answers than keeping ClutchFans informed.

10. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Yes. As others pointed out in other threads the ONLY thing we could get was a verbal. It was a chicken and egg issue. We couldn't get bosh to sign for ally without clearing the cap space FIRST. So the most we could get was a verbal which I'm sure the rockets would have gotten before starting their moves. Clearly what happened was after giving us the go ahead, heat got desperate and offered the full max. We got mini-boozered. Bosh went back on his word.

11. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

roe4christ, cyberx wrote that we may not match parsons and acquire ariza? is that what you're hearing too?

12. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

You're missing the point. LIn and Asik were gone almost no matter what. But because bosh backed out after we pulled the trigger, we (1) lost the flexibility that came with using their contracts in possible trades and (2) paid more to dump Lin than we otherwise would have, bc we thought we had formed the super team. Put this way, even though Lin was overpaid, he was a valuable backup and at the trade deadline 2/3 of his contract would be gone and he would have been an expiring contract for a team trying to push or win in the postseason. He would have been close to asset neutral so that maybe we would have not needed to give up our first rounder for him or maybe only given up a second rounder.

13. roe4christ

roe4christ Member

This is an option being discussed, but not the one the FO would prefer. Timing is everything, especially in this case.

1 person likes this.
  14. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Yes, please TCOB. Thank you for the insight.

15. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Well, ya. The situation Bosh put us in sucked, and Morey made moves needed to get bosh in. But, i dont see this as some lost summer for Houston.

Too many "would haves." Lin was not playing another game here after that jersey debacle.

Agree to disagree on this one. Lin and Asik are gone, fat has been trimmed. An overpriced whiny backup C and a turnover prone/confidence-lacking PG are going to be turned into better pieces. I have faith in morey. He cant help it if Bosh had an agreement and at the last minute decided, Miami.

16. clos4life

clos4life Member

Thanks for replies Roe, try to get some rest tonight. Looking forward to consolation news tomorrow.

17. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Tell them please no. Ariza ($11m) + a $3-4m player probably not as good as chandler. Tell them to free up cap space with the bulls in exchange for some combination of boozer/mirotic/butler/dunleavy or taj so Melo can get his max in Chicago.

18. TISNF

TISNF Member

Oh it's out of pure curiosity. Definitely the most fascinating day in NBA free agency history that's for sure. Would make a great documentary in a few years with all of the plans, non-plans, rumors, and contracts increasingly exponentially literally overnight for all players and teams.

Still really, really disappointed with the Rockets FO for not having a better way of vetting Bosh's commitment. Not trying to place blame -- everyone feels like **** I'm sure -- just didn't expect it based on the historically masterful moves by the Rockets in the last three years.

19. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

I also still think we can recover pretty well and trust the front office. But there was a reason morey never wanted to pull the trigger on the Lin trade until we got a star, as was widely reported. It's bc we lost flexibility and could have gotten a better deal. If we thought we were getting bosh then we're willing to attach a bigger asset in the trade and give up flexibility. My complaint isn't that bosh chose to stay in Miami (I predicted before the decision that Miami would throw the max at bosh bc they would be desperate) but that he screwed us by telling us to execute trades early that hurt our ability for trades and free agency. Also I don't blame morey for anything. There was nothing he could do to stop bosh from reneging. I'm blaming bosh for not sticking to his word. The trades were inevitable. The timing, price and the loss of flexibility were not.

20. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Thanks Roe 4christ and Cyber x for your insight and calming the waves of clutch fans with your soothing messages of Rocket Progress. .