1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

There Was An Offer from Detroit for TMac

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AggieDentist, Nov 12, 2008.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

PER is nothing but a summary of the box score statistics. So, really what you mean is that it proves that box stats are a complete and total joke.

2. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

If anything PER is better than just box score stats because it compiles them. Most people only look at a few things in the box score to judge a player.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It tries to boil everything down to a single number. But anytime you do that, you lose information. It doesn't tell you if a player is a good 3-point shooter or good rebounder. It doesn't tell you how effective the player is in a particular situation, compared to someone else. But if you want to answer the question "How good, overall, did he play according to the box score," I think it give us a pretty good idea.

4. rocketboost1

rocketboost1 Member

You stay with T-MAC

5. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Just skimmed through this thread - wow. It's near consensus on this. Thank God sports teams aren't managed on the whim of public opinion.

T-Mac is killing us out there at times. But he can still be great at times. I take those odds, as small as they may be, over consistent mediocrity any day of the week.

If you are going to trade Tracy McGrady, you trade him for young prospects and go all in and trade Ron Artest and Yao Ming too and blow the whole thing up. You don't go half way and trade him for 3rd tier stars like Michael Redd and Richard Hamiltion. There is nothing worse in sports than mediocrity and that's what this current roster -McGrady/+a shooter spells - mediocrity at best.

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I don't know where I stand on Rasheed.

I love his 3pt shooting and his defense. The rest of his game is suspect. His overall shooting percentage is currently about 40 percent and he is one of the worst all time rebounders for a starting power forward. He has never averaged 9 rebounds in a season.

7. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

The Rockets have been mediocre since McGrady got here. That's why we're so desperate to get rid of him. The worst thing that could happen if we ditch him would be better draft positioning.

8. AggieDentist

AggieDentist Member

for the very reasons that y'all are bringing up, this offer isn't as cut-and-dry as it appears at first glance. there were a lot of questions i had about it when i first heard about it, and a lot more questions that you all raised in your posts- i will try and give him a call tomorrow and find out more about the goings-on in Detroit.

9. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

We were mediocre BEFORE McGrady got here. We actually got better after the McGrady trade. Before the trade we were first round fodder, now we are at least forcing game 7s.

The worst thing that could happen would be better draft positioning? Sure, but you are risking maybe a WCF appearance or if we get lucky a finals appearance.

You either blow the whole thing up, or go for broke. It makes no sense to make a trade that makes you a little worse but still good enough to stay out of the lottery.

Seriously, enough with the "sky is falling" threads guys. Last time I checked, we're still 5-3, with 2 of the losses being to the best two teams in the league. And considering Yao, Tmac, and Artest have all gone through mini-slumps already, I'm feeling pretty good about our chances. So chill the **** out guys, and let the players play.

10. caneks

caneks Rookie

You trade T-Mac for two players who won title and has kept their team in the conference final in the last few years. This is too significant an improvement for Rockets to pass. In the last few years, the rockets struggled to win first round, there is no reason to believe this is the year without major change, even with addition of Ron.

11. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

that's a really dumb argument. are you saying you would trade those 2 for KG when he struggled to get out of the first round?

if the cavs offered us ben wallace, we should trade tmac for him b/c he won a championship?

those 2 guys were part of a great detroit TEAM enjoying success in the weakened EAST.

why not trade yao now too if you really just want to trade guys who cna't get out of the first round? hell, trade shane and everybody on the team :confused:

12. caneks

caneks Rookie

You proved your logic has been broken. Why can we not make trade to improve the team no matter whether it involves T-Mac or Yao?

13. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

I don't think we should make any 1 for 2 deals now that we have 3 guys that can put up 25-30 on any given night, and 2-3 more that will give you 10 a game consistently (Scola, Brooks and maybe Landry). We have the talent on the team right now. Alston is really the only weak point on the team, but with Brooks getting better, Alston will only have to play 24 minutes a game.

And really, acting like Tmac is the reason we are 5-3 is nothing short of r****ded. Tmac has had two, maybe three horrible games? So has Yao and so has Artest. It also doesn't help that Alston is shooting way under his career average, even if that average itself is low, and that despite the good defense, it isn't where it was at last season.

So this "Tmac is killing our team, he needs to be traded" **** is non-sense really. Right now we just need to stand pat. The only major players that should be on the trading block right now are Battier and Alston.

14. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

I question whether said trade for Tmac would in fact improve the team.

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No one should be untouchable,however management has to get comparable players who could possible meet our needs better than Yao or Tracy.

There is nothing out there as such for now. I personally feel if McGrady cannot play consistently because of his health by the all-star break,management should look for a possible trade.I also feel that the best thing to do right now is wait and not to do anything rash.
    A solid backup 5 who can play against the taller,stronger 4 and a future replacement for Rafer is needed more than anything else IMO. That is going to be very difficult to obtain as we all know. We can only hope for better health and continued progress.

16. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

b/c those guys do NOT improve the team. if anything, we're in the same position we are.

so why not stick with a guy who has/or have the ability to be explosive in the playoffs now that we have added more talent.

morey is a talent guy. i'm sure he had trade offers for tracy last yr. but he knows if tracy can get healthy just for the playoffs (and let's be real, morey and this team only cares about the playoffs) and you get those special performances, all he has to do is add more talent.

i'm sure morey saw tracy in the playoffs last yr. he knows what tracy still has left. no trade (unless it involves an upper all-star) is gonna improve this team. and he's still not healthy and we still see glimpses of scoring explosions that only few players can do.

17. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Hate to break it to you, but we're STILL first round fodder, and that can be layed squarely at the feet of a one T. McGrady.

I wish "forcing game 7s" counted for something here in the real world, but they don't.

18. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

My point stands, we were crap before. You were implying that we traded for McGrady and it all went downhill from there. That Tmac was traded to the Rockets and he "ruined" us. That can't be further from the truth.

So basically your whole premise for why Tmac is bad for our team is complete bull****. Tmac is no Kobe, but he's also no Rip ****ing Hamilton. Give him more credit than that.

And I'm going to repeat something I said earlier that I think no one on this board really has a counter to: Tmac isn't the reason we are 5-3. You can point to a lot of other things we did wrong before you get to McGrady.

19. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Not exactly.

You are saying we got worlds better, conveniently ignoring the fact that the first round barrier has yet to be broken. We have been stuck in the exact same spot four years since. At best, it was a lateral move. We have still been first round fodder no matter how you try to spin it or deflect blame from the highest paid member of the roster and person who was brought in to get to the next level.

20. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

I'm not conveniently ignoring anything, you are putting words in my mouth. I said we went from first round fodder to forcing game 7s. Am I wrong? And by first round fodder I mean that no expert predicts that we will win the series. We've gone from no chance in hell to even odds. Again, tell me where I'm wrong here.

And I agree with you that we havn't really gone anywhere in the grand scheme of things. But we weren't going anywhere before the trade either. So... again, your whole basis for saying McGrady is this horrible player is completely wrong.

It would be one thing if we've gone from consistently making the playoffs to consistently missing the playoffs. That hasn't happened.

It would be one thing if on average we were winning less games in the regular season, when in fact we are winning more.

Stop blaming Tmac for Rockets failure.