1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

There Was An Offer from Detroit for TMac

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AggieDentist, Nov 12, 2008.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I have not read this thread. But if so ........... cry.

2. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Wow, that's even better than the Billups/Prince package they were offering a few months ago. I would've hated to lose Hayes, but that deal should have been done. :(

3. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

this would have been a great deal. to be honest, we should be taking just about ANY trade offer for Tmac or Yao that gives us back equal value. Mac gets injured frequently and Yao is also an injury risk. Yao is extremely talented but has too many weaknesses that get exploited by certain teams. Plus, he's mentally weak and lets things get inside his head. We have championship-level talent, but the wrong mix of players.

4. rockets > *

rockets > * Member

5. lastmanstanding

If that trade was proposed, man oh man. You don't pass up that good a deal.

6. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

For Morey's sake, I say this is false info.

7. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I find it rather difficult to believe that this was even a remote possibility. Sheed and Rip for basically T-Mac...and Daryl Morey declined? Come one, this is Mr. Moneyball we're talking about here.

Pass on this rumor...

8. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

i do not believe this trade. We can understand the billups trade, pistons got a young PG coming up, and iverson's contract along with sheed's will be up at the end of the season, which meant pistons can be major players in the off season.

But tmac?

And its too unbalance in favour for rox, even if picks are given as well, those picks will be the low 20s.

Man the trade will be great. If i'm not mistaken, rip's contract is 2 years before it is extended, along with the expiring contract of wallace. Rox can be major players in the 2010 sweepstakes, and rox might even be able to sign tmac back on the cheap ala SF3.

And on the court, its not too shabby either. Imagine having sheed instead of hayes. Defense will be the same, while getting so much more at the offensive end. Rip will not taking over games like tmac, but then defense will be better, off ball movement will be seen. And rip have a much better mid game shot compare to tmac. Not to mention that it balance up the offense, as rip do not operate the post.

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Why wouldn't both sides agree to this?

Detroit gets a scorer/playmaker that would mesh very well with Billups and Prince.

Billups
    McGrady
    Prince
    Maxiell
    Johnson

Is not a bad team at all in the East. And McGrady's contract runs out in the summer of 2010.

Houston still has point guard question marks but they get a more efficient 2 guard and they get a bona-fide power forward. The only downside I see for Houston is that we wouldn't have anyone handling the ball when Alston or Brooks aren't in the game.

10. Pocket Rockets

umm because iverson is more durable than tmac

11. icewill36

icewill36 Member

wow... do any of you realize just how much rasheed wallace sucks now ??? do you guys pay attention to anyone besides the rockets ? all rasheed does is sit out and shoot threes. go ahead and check pistons boxscores this season and see how almost half of FG attempts are 3s. he is completely washed up.

billups hasn't been good for a couple years now either....

t-mac may be consistent but he's still better than both of them.

i wish people around here would stop talking trades. can you just let the team gel for christ sake ?

12. caneks

caneks Rookie

Don't think this is true because no one in rockets front office would turn it down.

13. GMAC

GMAC Member

Most people here have no idea how to put together a basketball team. Many would trade McGrady and Yao Ming for beans out of pure knee-jerk reaction.

Leave the job for the man getting paid to do so. Our money man, Morey. :cool:

14. DPballer

DPballer Member

Any trade we would've made with Detroit should've involved Billups coming to Houston.

The reason I wouldn't make the trade anyway is it kills chemistry by losing McGrady. Rasheed plays well sometimes and then is a complete no-show in other games. Hamilton could probably excel in a motion offense, but he doesn't have nearly the play-making abilities as T-Mac.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't know why so many think this would have been a great move.

Rip and Sheed are both older, too. Rasheed, as many have pointed out, basically sucks now. Not that he ever was great offensively, but you're looking at a 42% shooting PF, at best. His man defense would probably still be better than anything we got at the PF position, but it isn't like he's a rebounding machine or anything either. And it's hard to imagine anyone d;ing up Amare as good as Scola did last night. Scola/Landry will have problems with size (Aldridge, Gasol) ...but fortunately seem to do a decent job on the more athletic PF's (Boozer, Amare, West)...and Wallace would probably be the opposite. From a frontcourt standpoint, the Rockets really just need the taller, lankier version of Chuck Hayes - don't know if that exists, though?

As for Rip..first, let's not pretend like everyone doesn't go through shooting slumps. He had an 0'fer the other night and is 12-44 in his last 3 games...27%. Secondly, he clearly is a better motion offense player. But the Rockets lack of motion offense isn't just because of T-Mac. You're still "stuck" with Yao and Artest, both who seem to thrive in slower, post-up, pick and roll scheme. As far as the Rockets offense is concerned, the onus is on Adelman to find a mix that makes it work - as far as I know, his amazing offensive scheme hasn't won any championships yet - maybe he should model his offense more on teams that have - and pretty much every team of the past 20 years that fits into that category has had a nice combination of motion, post-ups, taking advantage of the double team, pick and rolls, etc.

Tracy is still, by far, the better player of the two vs. Rip. It's just a matter of health. If you were pretty positive Tracy's health would never get better, then you might pull the trigger.

But even then, if that's the case, I would prefer to shop around a little more and maybe get an up and coming young player and a draft pick. Kind of like what Minnesota got for KG (and I know, Minnesota sucks now, but then, they didn't have anyone around KG...if you could get Al Jefferson value in return for T-Mac, that'd be great).

16. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

I'm wondering who was making the deal, was Morey offering McGrady or were the Pistons offering Rip and Sheed? I really hope it was the former, because if it was the latter, then I would be extremely upset. God, I can't just imagine how well Hamilton will do in Adelman's offense, and Rasheed is so vertasile, a trade will probably make him boost up mentally and play better.

17. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

I don't believe this for a single second.

And BTW we're not trading T-Mac and here's a very good reason: 2010 free agency

18. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Exactly. Everyone keeps wanting to trade him. Even stating that GMs would want T-Mac for that same reason, free agency. Umm why can't we keep T-Mac for ourselves and then we'll be major players in 2010?

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I would have agreed to Rip and Rasheed or Billups and Rip,but not any other combination.

20. monkinamr2

monkinamr2 Contributing Member

People are talking as if we'd be trading 08-09 Tmac for 03-04 Rip and Sheed ... DO NONE OF YOU ABIDE BY THE LAWS OF TIME?