1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

There is NO problem with Islam

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cohen, Sep 15, 2001.

1. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

I apologize for starting a second thread on this topic, but I felt it only fair to get subject heading 'airtime' for the alternate opinion.

I think that the thread http://bbs.clutchcity.net/php3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21975 show that each and every religion has its radicals who misuse teachings.

Peace to all...except terrorists.

2. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

Amen brother.

Azim da Dream

3. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Absolutely Cohen!

4. Timing

Timing Member

There are very peculiar things about Islamic fundamentalists. Why don't I ever see any predominantly Islamic countries denouncing this terrorism and actually doing something about it? From reading the last few days it seems there are active terrorist groups in Iran, Palestine, Syria, Iraq, Lybia, Egypt, Saudi, and Afghanistan and they do little to denouce it or stop it. The degree of fanaticism among Islamic fundamentalists seems to be far and way more than that of other religions. When was the last time Baptists called a holy war on another nation and sent out terrorist cells? When was the last time a Catholic committed a suicide with a bomb attack on civilians? These freaks call a holy war every other day of the week. It's ridiculous. I wish more Muslim nations would step forward very publicly to denounce these wackos and put an end to the fanaticism.

You stepped on my foot, JIHAD UPON YOU!

#4 Timing, Sep 15, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2001
  5. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

There's a big difference between Islamic fundamentalists and common Muslims. They're worlds apart.

6. Silk

Silk Member

PALESTINE:
    Leader of palestine, yasir arafat, condemns the WTC "bombings"... he gave blood to have mailed to america. .... there were SOME people who were shown to celebrate this event (very sad and disgusting to me), but their reason is a little more then because they had their foot stepped on.

... They (rightly or wrongly ... that debate would take years) feel that they are being pushed out of their homes. Which to them is the equivalent of mexico forcing us to all move to the north and start occupying our cities.

IRAN: Hates us with a passion. We have had a unilateral trade embargo on them for years.

IRAQ: A demented dictator convinces a nation that the US has gutted their nation of all liberties for "no reason"

Lybia, Egypt, Saudi: all came out and condemned this, with Saudi offering all support possible.

Afghanistan: a poor nation. no natural resources. Lead by a group of radical muslims that came into power by force. That force being military force primarily funded by connections of Bin Laden.

On tuesday only hours after the WTC crisis, their own people fired missiles at their own capital.

SCORE EQUALS: Three Muslim countries not denouncing, vs. many more that have... you just didnt care to look it up before making a generalized post

7. Major

Major Member

<B>From reading the last few days it seems there are active terrorist groups in Iran, Palestine, Syria, Iraq, Lybia, Egypt, Saudi, and Afghanistan and they do little to denouce it or stop it</B>

First of all, every one of those countries, except Iraq, denounced this bombing. Iran even had a moment of silence in memory of the victims.

As far as terrorism in general, oftentimes the terrorists have links in government, and in many cases, the government simply doesn't have the power to stop them. Same as Mexico and the drug war -- everytime any government officials try to fight it, they start getting assassinated. These aren't powerful countries, and those terrorist groups don't hurt the countries themselves, so they might not have much choice but to let them be.

Regardless, there's a huge difference between a country's government and a religion. Oftentimes, religion is distorted by the powerful to justify actions.

8. Cohen

Some would say that these non-Muslim acts are peculiar too:

The KKK, the Atlanta Olympic Bombing, Oklahoma City, School Shootings esp. Columbine, Northern Ireland, Christian Militia massacring Palestinian families, Yugoslavia's ethnic cleansing (of Muslims), South African apartheid (not that long ago), Waco fundamentalists, etc. etc.

9. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Irans relations with USA I think has gotten better.

Yesterday in the Iran soccer game they showed that the players and 60 thousand Plus fans , had 1 minute of silence and prayer for the people in america.

They showed it on Cnn couple times.

10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

There is more to fundamentalist ideology than religion. Much of the reason there are such intense emotions involved with Islam in the middle east is sociological in nature. You have a hot, dry place with horribly impoverished conditions, social and political oppression from various groups and a very low level of education. That is a volatile combination.

Why are so many skinheads fundamentalist Christian? It has as much to do with the psychology and sociology behind their emotions as it does the beliefs in their religion.

Why do Protestants and Catholics (both Christians) bomb each other in Ireland? It has little to do with their beliefs, which are, for all intents and purposes, the same. It has to do with the long-term socialization of their personal ideologies.

The fact is that it is rarely a case of simply religion creating the problem. It is almost always a case of religion simply giving someone a socially acceptable vehicle by which they can carry out that personal ideology.

Timing asked why it seems like their are no Christian groups declaring holy war. I guess you could ask why no atheist groups are declaring war on religion also. It isn't about the religion. It is about the person or group interpreting it and how their own personal ideology and psychology or sociology plays into that.

11. Cohen

From the AP:

"Barnes & Noble Inc., which reopened Thursday after closing all stores the day before, said histories of Islam, books about Nostradamus and calendars featuring pictures of the World Trade Center have had noticeably increased sales. "

12. Cohen

Maybe they got their's out of their system with the Crusades.

Good post Jeff. I have been trying to word something similar, that the fundamentalism could be more closely tied to their part of the world than the religion. Socialization is probably more encompassing.

13. Timing

Timing Member

Suicide bombings and terrorism have been going on long before this last Tuesday. These condemnations are weak lip service as far as I'm concerned. Arafat giving blood was obviously staged and pretty pathetic in my view. Where were all the condemnations before Tuesday? When have you ever seen these nations cracking down on terrorism before Tuesday? Muslim terrorists have a much higher degree of fanaticism. Tim McVeigh didn't bomb Oklahoma in the name of any regilion. The Irish to my knowledge don't commit suicide bombings. Skinheads don't murder in the name of Christianity. There is a difference between those who commit crimes belonging to a certain religious group and those who commit crimes in the name of their religions. None of you are acknowledging these very clear differences.

You have a hot, dry place with horribly impoverished conditions, social and political oppression from various groups and a very low level of education.

There are many places around the world that fit this description, some even in the United States, however, those conditions don't lead to the level of fanaticism that exists among Muslim nations.

14. jamma34

jamma34 Member

15. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Jeff says:
    You have a hot, dry place with horribly impoverished conditions, social and political oppression from various groups and a very low level of education.
    Timing:
    There are many places around the world that fit this description, some even in the United States

Yep, that's why Cohen listed several other fanatical groups and terror-related tragedies all over the world.

however, those conditions don't lead to the level of fanaticism that exists among Muslim nations.

Well, I don't know, let me check the fanatic-o-meter... Frankly, I think there are lots of groups that would like to do what (likely Bin Laden) just did to their respective enemies- they just don't have practically unlimited $$ and an international resource of thousands of fellow fanatics.
    You may have a point that the Koran leaves enough room for interpretation to allow these guys to use religion as leverage for their hateful purpose, but dude, so does the bible- big time. Do you really think there are no social/economical issues that contribute to this? I think Jeff made a great post on that point.

The more I read up on Bin Laden and the recent history of Afghanistan, it's clear that several factors all neatly lined up to make this organization possible- not just some prose in the Koran which inherently makes it's followers fanatical.

16. Cohen

Very good Nolen. Several points that I had been meaning to make also; I would not have been as eloquent as 'fanatic-o-meter' though. :)

17. Major

Major Member

<B>Where were all the condemnations before Tuesday? When have you ever seen these nations cracking down on terrorism before Tuesday?</B>

Where were the US condemnations before Tuesday? Why hasn't the US cracked down on terrorism before Tuesday?

The answer to both your questions and mine is the scale and nature of the attack.