1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

There is another guy out there...Brian Hill

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Another Brother, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Hill’s coaching career has spanned over 30 years, including head coaching positions with Orlando and Vancouver. Under Hill’s direction, Orlando made their only appearance in the NBA Finals in 1995. His NBA coaching career began in 1986, serving as an assistant to Mike Fratello in Atlanta. After four seasons in Atlanta (during which the Hawks were 200-128, .609), Hill joined the Orlando Magic as an assistant to Matt Guokas in 1990. After three seasons with the Magic, he was promoted to head coach prior to the 1993-94 season.

The impact of Hill’s promotion was immediate, as the Magic improved their record by 11 games in his first season, finishing at 50-32 (.610, then a franchise record for most wins), and reached the playoffs for the first time in franchise history. The following season Hill guided the Magic to a 57-25 (.695) record, the Atlantic Division title and a trip to the 1995 NBA Finals against the Houston Rockets. The team’s success also translated into individual accolades for Hill, as he was named head coach of the 1995 Eastern Conference All-Star team.

Hill followed up his record-setting 1994-95 season by leading the Magic to a 60-22 (.732) mark the following year, a franchise record that still stands. He also led the Magic to their second consecutive Atlantic Division crown, as the team advanced to the Eastern Conference Finals before losing to the eventual NBA Champion Chicago Bulls. During his three and a half seasons with the Magic, Hill’s teams posted a 191-104 (.647) record. His home record while in Orlando was 122-26 (.824) including 40 consecutive wins spanning from March 12, 1995 through March 19, 1996. Hill’s record over his first three seasons (167-79, .679) is third in NBA history behind Pat Riley and Phil Jackson. He also ranks as the ninth fastest head coach to reach 100 victories, accomplishing the feat in 149 games.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Penny and Shaq are very similar to Steve and Yao, and Hill got that team to the NBA finals.

2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

You're a comedian, right? :D

3. Another Brother

Today I'm a comedian, tomorrow I'm a genius!:mad: ;)

4. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

How bout scott skiles? He's a tough coach and is available. I view Hill as a bit soft.

5. We're Back

We're Back Member

His impact was immediate? Shaq might have had a small impact also.

6. mfclark

mfclark Member

Brian Hill also was driven out of Orlando by player vote. That's right - management listened to the players and fired Brian Hill after a secret player's vote, despite his successes and history. I believe Penny was the one who orchestrated that vote, perhaps along with Horace Grant.

I don't think anyone on the Rockets would do that, but it's something to keep in mind. He's not a bad coach, but he's not the greatest, either.

And he's also the favorite of the players in New Orleans for that job. Shinn & Wooldridge will probably get their way, though, and they'll hire Tim Floyd. Hill's better than Floyd, but it's not an overwhelming gap (nor is it marginal).

7. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Hmmmm. If EVERYTHING else goes wrong, Skiles might be a 1-year solution. Wasn't he a point guard? Could he teach SF to be a real point guard or does he blow his stack so quickly he is unable to teach? Is he smart or just a great scowler? Does anyone know?

8. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

NO WAY!! SHAQ WAS MUCH MORE OF A FREAK THAN YAO IS WHEN THEY CAME INTO THE NBA. THE PENNY HARDAWAY I REMEMBER FROM THOSE TEAMS WAS ALSO PRETTY SICK, IT WAS WHEN HE WAS SO GOOD THEY HAD THE LITTLE PENNY COMMERCIALS. TOO BAD THE INJURIES TOOK HIM DOWN. AND I THINK SHAQ WAS AVERAGING CLOSER TO 25 POINTS A GAME RATHER THAN 13 LIKE YAO.

9. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

HE STILL HOLDS THE RECORD FOR MOST ASSISTS IN A GAME WITH 30. MAN THAT IS A RIDICULOUS STAT. I DON'T THINK IT WILL EVER BE MATCHED OR SURPASSED.

10. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Wr would appreciate the use of both UPPER & lower Case.

11. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

please no, no hill, no hill, no hill. He is not, was not, and will never be a good coach. There is no reason to recycle someone else's trash. If Van Gumby dammit doesn't want the job, the Rox must get creative and try to the next byron scott. Mario Elie is a possibility. Maybe even a coach from the Euro league. Maybe even a coach from the Y. but please, for the love of pete, no Brian Hill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Another Brother

How do you REALLY feel about it Dawg?:p

13. Timing

Timing Member

Brian Hill? Oh my god... this can't end soon enough.

14. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

ok, i think it's time to stop throwing coaching names out there. The more you name the more depressing it gets. Let's just hope Van Gundy or Dunleavy are our next coach