1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Z Report] Draft Primer: Texans’ team needs on offense and prospects to watch for

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by No Worries, Apr 21, 2012.

1. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

Sounds like the Texans are wanting Fleener. John McClain just said there is no way the Texans select Fleener.

2. Mashing

Mashing Member

Well, if you did draft Fleener, how about a OD for Mike Wallace trade--doubt the Texans would do it though, they had a chance just to sign him and give up a 1st to do so? Would the Steeler's do that? Since they gave him a 1st round tender, I'm thinking it's a probably not a possibility unfortunately.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Haha I don't think the Steelers would even consider that deal and the Texans would probably make it in a heartbeat (contracts aside.)

4. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

This is one of the worst trade proposals I've ever seen

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

LOL

I think this might be on time where cakes is going to be right.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I assume you don't venture into the GARM much do you?

1 person likes this.
  7. Mashing

Mashing Member

I said it probably wouldn't be a possibility. Trades rarely happen in the NFL anyway. I didn't put much thought in it to be honest.

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

No one else does, either. We're talking about how they might use the 26th pick - a large # are assuming/hoping they'll use it on a WR, who will most likely take Jacoby Jones' spot in the rotation in 2012. I'm suggesting it's perfectly OK if they find someone who takes Connor Barwin's spot in 2013 (as an example). Especially if the Barwin replacement grades signifigantly higher than the Jones replacement.

#128 Hey Now!, Apr 26, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Dorin Dickerson was not a first-round prospect. There's a reason he almost went undrafted. His failure had little to do with switching positions and more to do with him just not being an NFL player.

10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

That's why I'm not a scout, I watched the film and combine on Dickerson and thought he was going to be a bigger Hines Ward.

11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Long wait this year for our pick. Guessing it won't come in until some time between 10:30 and 11 pm.

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Dorin was the Texans 7th round pick in 2010. Dorin was off the charts athletic in speed and jumping ability. His troubles at WR were failing to run consistent routes and looking to hit the LBs after the catch (instead of running for day light).

Dorin could have been a receiving TE, but Kubiak choose not to go there. Kubiak might have similar reservations about Fleener.

Fleener as a TE gets covered by a LB with Fleener having the advantage there. He should be able to get separation from LBs.

Fleener as a slot receiver get covered by a CB. He will find it harder to get separation from a CB. He could out-jump and out-muscle a CB, but he is not going to look open. If he does match the catch, he should be hell-on-wheels to take down.

13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I know Dorin's history well and he was quite the athlete, but there's a reason he wasn't an high prospect at TE, either. The knocks you cited - specifically, route-running - were a problem for him at tight end, too. It's right the opposite for Fleener, who has been praised for that.

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I am not the one who will defend the legend that Dorin Dickerson has become.
    [/sarcasm]

TE run different type of routes than WRs, right? Methinks a TE that could run all of the WR routes is extremely rare or nonexistent.

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Bruce Irvin is the pick

16. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

The Texans have had one since 2003.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Touchdown numbers say otherwise.

Having a guy who can haul in 10+ TDs through the air on a yearly basis is something we've *never* had.

18. Scarface281

Andre was not targeted in the red zone, especially with Carr at QB. Texans had no other good receivers, have always sucked in the red zone, and it was so easy to blanket AJ. He has always had the potential to catch that many touchdowns and has made crazy red zone catches before.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

He's not the redzone threat that a guy like Gonzalez, Gronkowski, or Graham are/were.

There's something to be said for dudes that are 6'6"+ with mad hops.

20. Scarface281

Just because Fleener can jump does not mean he did. He wasn't like Graham at Stanford.