1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Wesley Trade: A Desperate Power Play by JVG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Dec 30, 2004.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

I say the Wesley trade was a desperation move by a little dictator who sees his empire going under. Here's why:

We're beginning to realize the trade was not made solely to improve our team, talent-wise. And it wasn't necessarily made to find someone who's a better fit, as JJ was a pretty good (bit not perfect) fit with this team.

My guess is that the disappointing start, effort-wise, combined with Boki's little tirade, led JVG to decide it was time not only to ship Boki's butt out of town, but to send a message to the rest of the team:It is indeed MY way or the highway. No doubt, he'd have rather done a MoT+Boki trade of some sort, but when that wasn't around, JVG decided that sending this message was more important that keeping a good, loyal player. So he pulled the trigger. "Attention, Rockets: Give me sh*t and I'll put you on a bus. Buy into my system or you get traded to the worst team in the league."

As I said, it's strictly my guess.

But considering how things have gone so far this year, JVG has to be feeling his dream situation slowly slipping through his fingers. Little Napoleon is trying to make sure that doesn't happen. Nevertheless, if this ship doesn't right itself in the next dozen or so games, I'm betting Jeffy will take his ball and go home, just like he did in 2002 when his Knicks players stopped listening to him.

2. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Regardless whether this is a power move by JVG, I still can't stand that little turd and want him outta here like yesterday!:mad:

3. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I just think, because of all the injuries our guards have endured, they made a trade for a guy who can put up the same numbers as JJ but can also play and defend the point in a pinch. Lue traded, Ward out to who knows when, and Sura's knee problem made this deal IMO.

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

I have no problem with a coach trading someone who a) doesn't fit in his system b) doesn't give effort (not applicable here necessarily, but in general) or c) complains about PT to the point that the coach thinks its become a distraction.

There is so much behind the scenes stuff that we apparently aren't privy too.

5. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Here's hoping the little dictator finds himself shipped out too, preferably in a pine box, set on fire.

TRADE DEAD-LINE.

6. rich_argh

rich_argh Member

all trades are all ultimately done by the general manager even if someone tells him to, its HIS choice alone to do it, so dont be blaming JVG for his opinions on what he wants in this team, its CD's fault for listening to him... if you guys want a reason to blame him then there it is.

there is nothing desperate about trading tyronn lue for jon barry - jj+boki for wesley, they seriously waited till 1/3 of the season to make trades and you guys are calling it desperate.

7. codell

codell Contributing Member

You take sports way too seriously if you not only want the coach fired, but dead also. lol

8. rich_argh

rich_argh Member

there is a reason why CD is general manager, its because he's a professional. sometimes he makes mistakes but he knows what hes doing and theres a reason for everything. he doesnt just make trades like an idiot

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

You're assuming too much. You have no idea what the inner workings of the Rockets corporate structure are. Sure, the way it's supposed to work theoretically is that the GM makes the final decisions. But it could very well be that Les makes them. Or maybe Les has told CD to follow through on whatever JVG says.

Seriously, none of us knows exactly how these three guys interact.*

* Except Doc Rocket, of course.

10. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

the trade certainly seems desperate. its absolutely not in our long term interest, and any short term benefits are, at best, extremely marginal.

i agree with Clutch, at best its a "lateral" move. a short sighted lateral move at that. to view this as a positive you have to believe its part of another deal. or JVG and dem jes' plumb gone wild.

its hard for me to underestimate ole man grumpy. but he keeps plummeting to new lows.

11. rich_argh

rich_argh Member

topfive, then stop assuming that jvg wanted boki out of here

12. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Huh?! There was a tirade? How did I miss this bit of gossip!!

13. IndianPlaya

IndianPlaya Contributing Member

I disagree. Wesley fits our system much better than JJax. JJax and wesley both shoot the ball at the same efficeient rate. However, the primary difference is in their defense. Jjax was too short to guard teh small forwards of the league, and too slow to guard the 1s and 2s. Wesley, on the other hand, is a defensive stopper. He can stop the 1s and 2s of this league, so in addition the shooting he also brings in good perimeter defender.

14. topfive

topfive CF OG

Dude, I'm not assuming -- I'm *supposing*, for the sake of argument. I'm not trying to convince anyone I know what really happened. None of us do.

What, are you CD's son or something?

15. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

It was not a tirade so much as a lets just face the fact that the Rockets organization has shown zero loyalty to me (in every decision they have made over the last year) so I will need to just move on type of thing. Both sides were open to the move, so both sides are the winner.

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

Hmmm... according to ClutchFans' source, Boki was PO'd about being relegated to the IL and he "clashed hard with Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy about it, handed out ultimatums and the team opted to deal him." Says so right here:

http://bbs2.clutchfans.net/newreply.php?action=newreply&threadid=89010

Is that a tantrum? Maybe, maybe not. It could be possible that what Boki thought was standing his ground was perceived by JVG as being petulant. Or maybe JVG's a great guy who decided that including JJ in a trade was a price worth paying to get Boki the minutes he desired.

But I doubt it.

17. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Eh, I don't think that link is right, but thanks for recapping it for me.

Can't say I approve of throwing demands around, but I don't mind if he *asked* to be traded... he might never get another shot at the NBA after this year is over....

18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

It's more of a desperate play by the whole organization to try and salvage this season before the whole organization becomes a laughinstock in the NBA

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

20. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Being stuck in Jeff Van Grumpy's crazy system is torture:cool: Insane in the membrane should be the Rockets new tip-off song before the jump ball.