1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Wedge Document

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sishir Chang, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I was just listening to a story on NPR regarding the Evolution / ID debate and they mentioned something called The Wedge Document which was a fundraising document put out by the Discovery Institute's Center for Science and Culture promoting the use of ID as a wedge issue to overthrow the scientific materialism and replace it with a theistic approach to science and society. I googled it and found this:

http://www.discovery.org/scripts/viewDB/filesDB-download.php?command=download&id=450

I don't want to post the whole thing but here are some quotes and the whole thing can be read at the link.

I was thinking that this might be a hoax created to discredit ID proponents but also found on the Discovery Institute's own website they don't deny it but even defend it.

http://www.discovery.org/scripts/viewDB/filesDB-download.php?command=download&id=450

(Sorry its a PDF so no cut and paste quotes) They start out by calling it an urban myth but make clear that it was an actual fundraising letter and defend it.

For some background the Discovery Institute is one of the leading organizations promoting Intelligent Design and I recall them and some of the authors listed in the wedge document as being cited in the court cases on the issue of teaching ID and also here on D & D debates on the subject.

2. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Wowsers. Talk about having an agenda. Just keep bringing this thing to every court case vs. ID and watch their stupid ship sink every time.

Materialism is bad overall. But supplanting all scientific culture with theism is the answer? Holy Hell.

3. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

I remember reading about this a while ago.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=1953231&highlight=wedge#post1953231

This is another battle over cultural control. Religious ideas like ID and such are at a decided disadvantage in the battle because of our Enlightenment heritage that says social and cultural institutions need to be rationally justifiable.

Rationality is the measuring stick of policy now (to a greater or lesser degree) and has been for some time - but a lot of policy has only had to satisfy minimal rational standards because the proponents of that policy have garnered support by appealing to non-rational human faculties; faith, hatred, fear, etc.,.

The Discovery Institute, and others like them, have always known this. That's why they've picked up the ID idea and ran with it - because it contains a surface appeal to rationality that, they believe, people will find acceptable enough according to rational standards that they'll be willing to let the proponents of ID gain some ground in the cultural wars.

I don't think the strongest advocates of ID have any real intention of establishing ID in schools (you'll note the most vocal supporters, on this site and elsewhere, are usually very religious) except as a transitory stage where the teaching of evolution is weakened, making way for creationism.

4. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Yeah that whole enlightenment thing really was a bummer - let's get back the the dark ages when everyone was happy.

Yikes - this reads like something out of a movie script.

5. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Wedge: Look at the size of that thing!

6. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

^^ Outstanding!

7. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Are you telling me you haven't seen the Porkins Pamphlet?