1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The W(why)TF did Trump do this? thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Dec 8, 2017.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

2. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

I am pretty sure this was a calculated move by Trump. He was already angering his base with his reality TV immigration negotiations. He needed to do something to show that he was still their guy.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/01/trump-haiti-el-salvador-africa/550358/

JumpMan likes this.
  4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

The same exact rate per capita as India.

5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

This is kind of what I'm getting at . And if you read my first post again , you know I disagree with the statement . But , people are angry because he "said something wrong."

But a lot of his supporters feel that way.

And why is what he said wrong ?

Is it becuase it's entirely based in fiction without a modicum of truth ? No , because realistically are we generally better off in the US than people are in those countries ? Absolutely .

Now obviously that doesn't make the other place a shithole ... A better term is "disadvantaged" or something of that nature .

Back to the at work example ... What if the person saying it was talking about his own original country ? Is it still fireable ? Is it even bad ? What if it was a close friends talking amongst themselves and the friend made the comment and caused no offense ?

What I'm getting at is that it's not the phrase or syntax that matters .... It's the intent behind the words .

Which frankly I think is speculation . in the case of trump , we have a history to analyze and we can judge the intent more accurately ... And in this light it is bad .

But I still think saying things like "this language is unacceptable " or " I'm shocked at this outrageous statement of ignorance and hatred." Are counter-productive

First of all , if you are actually shocked and "outraged" at this comment then I have no words for you because WE ALL expect trump to act like this.

I think the reaction " yeah he shouldn't have said it " is strong enough ... Adding all this other stuff and putting his views in a drawer marked "unacceptable for anyone to have " is not helpful and is hypocritical .

Would you honest want to live in Haiti on an average persons salary there ? That would be a tough situation and the people living it might describe it as a shithole .

ipaman likes this.
  6. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

you mean these. the part of his base he catering too

7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

you are wrong because i said what trump said was stupid and he's an idiot several times now. however, i'm mexican-american, mother from mexico, and members of my family and i has described our beloved mexico as a shithole many times. my point is why are folks pretending shithole countries don't exist? i know, it's because trump is the target and boy is he a fun, easy, target.

like i said, he was stupid for saying that but not you or me or anybody up in arms about his comments are booking a family vacation or a honeymoon to haiti or ghana any time soon. why? because it's a shithole that's why. nothing wrong with saying that. i think many haitians, just like mexicans, would agree.

sugrlndkid and snowconeman22 like this.
  8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Trump is a racist. We know this. It always comes out. He has serious issues with Black and Brown people.

Rocket River likes this.
  9. ipaman

also, shithole, deplorables, superpredator, etc.. they're just words people so calm your t***.

10. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

you mean these supporters
    [​IMG]

11. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

They definitely heard him. Loud and clear.

People say that countries like Haiti and El Salvador are **** holes all the time, that is true that they say that, and, to me, they can say that and not be racists. They can say that because by many measures those countries are suffering. They can even be ignorant and say that Africa is, too, and still not be racists.

Where Trump shows his truly racist and rotten interior yet again is by stating that because the countries are **** holes that means that immigrants from there are, too.

Sadly, like his election victories, this shows the ugly side of us that we still aren't willing to truly face. When America looks in a mirror she sees Trump.

sugrlndkid, ipaman and snowconeman22 like this.
  12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Yes ?

In my opinion , trump is definitely catering to his base .

Just like a lot of the politicians who have spoken out against him are catering to their base . And the ones who have supported him are catering to their base .

I agree with the sentiment that what he said was stupid for a person in his position to say. I think it's a stupid statement , but I probably wouldn't hold it against an individual saying it to me , becuase there is SOME truth in it.... And it's probably true for the people who say it.

The reaction against it , I don't think is helpful . because basically what opponents of his are doing is insulting his base and being hypocritical .

A good response to me is the aforementioned "stupid for a person in his position to say it" and at the same time acknowledging that we are overall more fortunate in the US .

Pointing out all the amazing immigrants from the country , condemning him , and sweeping everything else under the rug is not acknowledging what he said .

Ah sorry , responded before you edited . Sure , those guys are prolly part of his base ...

13. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Are you serious? What is right about calling countries shitholes and stating that he doesn't want people from those **** countries. That is all countries from Africa and Haiti(aka black people) or from central america(latinos)

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

How am I wrong, when you are clearly saying that there's nothing wrong with him saying these countries are shitholes? Either you think he shouldn't have said, or you think there's nothing wrong with him saying it. Pick one.

15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Is it wrong to say that America has some ghetto's that are "shitholes " ?

16. ipaman

are you able to comprehend that if i were a public figure, i would not say it but i don't have a problem with anybody else saying it. at the same time, folks that are outraged are hypocrites imo for all the reasons i've previously listed. i think that's pretty straight forward to understand. just because we don't talk about shithole countries doesn't mean they don't exist you know...

snowconeman22 likes this.
  17. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

why ghettos? why use Ghettos as oppose to say trailer parks?

Also that is not all of what he said. He insulted entire nations and even an entire continent.

18. ipaman

i've lived in a mexican ghetto and i've lived in a south texas trailer park. please don't think i'm racist for saying this but both were shitholes.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  19. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

I am not talking to you. Unless you using more than one account. Which only makes sense now I think about it. Are you and snow the same poster??

20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Why can't a trailer park be a ghetto ?

A trailer park is the ****ing ghetto

A bad apartment complex in the states is a shithole .

And some of the countries in the world that have a much lower standard of living than the US are " shitholes"

I would just like it if we adressed what he said at face value vs condemning the thought as unacceptable .

He shouldn't have said it becuase of the position he is in and the influence he has . But , let's not say that what he said is morally unjustifiable .