1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The View from the Ground: George Floyd Protests

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, May 28, 2020.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You're right about that.

If only high profile people who staged peaceful protests to get their point across weren't vilified. They didn't march, they didn't riot, they didn't block streets or buildings or gateways. They didn't carry weapons. They didn't cause any inconvenience. They didn't delay any activity. Their protest generally lasted 2-3 minutes a week. But they were called SOBs by the Commander in Chief and demonized and ostracized by many Americans.

2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Just to the last piece, it’s ok if it’s a minority business and labeled as such to not tear down? Just burn the white owned small businesses?
    I don’t understand why any small business or any businesses outside of city/state buildings should be targeted.

B@ffled likes this.
  3. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

I’m specifically referring to the white dudes come out of Target with TV’s. Not sure what role they play. Not sure why you only blame Republicans when the Democrats who have made all the promises keep coming up with nothing. Has Obama spoken to try to calm tensions? He could be helpful if he wanted to. Then again, he may feel the way you do and is content to watch it burn.

I don’t have the solution. But you are right, whatever was tried in the past hasn’t worked. I think it’s shortsighted to blame one party.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm also going to say the people I saw burning and looting were people of all races. This isn't just black people this is white, Hispanic, Native Americans and even Asians out there destroying this city.

The people hurt by it are also people of all races. I know for a fact that several of the businesses looted and burned were owned by African-Americans.

5. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I will recognize your grievance, which I don't acknowledge as legitimate at all, only if you protest in a manner I deem appropriate.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

people know that Arbery’s killers would still be at home chilling if that video was not leaked...they had the nerve to tell his mother that he had been involved in a burglary and ended up getting killed by the home owner...that video prevented a successful coverup

Breonna Taylor murdered in her own bed because cops executed a no-knock warrant at the wrong house...boyfriend fired at the cops because he thought someone was breaking into their residence and was defending himself and his girlfriend...NRA says nothing, and he gets charged with attempted murder...thankfully the charges were recently dropped

a black man can get murdered like this in broad daylight, and the cop still has not been arrested...prosecutor says there may be evidence that charges aren’t worried

people are tired of the BS

Nook, Buck Turgidson, Yung-T and 10 others like this.
  8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I don't understand. Wouldn't he be safer in a jail cell anyways? Just put him in there.

pirc1 and Two Sandwiches like this.
  9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

It is possible to both show empathy for the death of George Floyd, hope that the justice system will do its job (which Trump has supported an investigation) and also condemn the violence, looting and theft of the protestors.

JumpMan and B@ffled like this.
  10. fchowd0311

It's also possible to understand that this is an inevitable outcome given the history.

Remember, we praise people for shooting up people because they were unfairly taxed.

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

That is insane.

I think the guy should be put in jail, for his protection.

Having a those cops there, defending a guy that is guilty of murder, and was one of their own, in a force that has a history of this type of crime, is insane.

Those cops should be ashamed of themselves for being there.

People can and will continue to protest until this is not happening and this guy is taken to jail. Instead, this is their response.

FrontRunner, RayRay10 and Reeko like this.
  12. bobrek

I condemn rioting and looting.

How do you feel about peaceful protests that impact and inconvenience 0% of the population, yet can still make a point?

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

yup...protecting the murderer’s home...prosecutor saying there may be evidence that charges aren’t warranted

that does nothing but increase the level of outrage

This is also why many aren’t trying to hear the usual BS about “a few bad apples”...Why aren’t we hearing all of these “good cops” in this Minneapolis police force come out and condemn this murder? All these “good cops” are always silent when 1 of their own commits an atrocity. The whole thing is rotten from the top down. The hold up for a simple arrest when u have a video like this is inexcusable. The one good thing I can say is that at least they were quickly fired and not given the usual paid vacation as they do their “investigation.”

Yung-T, amaru, mdrowe00 and 3 others like this.
  14. fchowd0311

All I know is if I went out on the street and took down someone to the ground and pinned their neck for 10 minutes until they died, I would be spending that night in a jail cell and I'm pretty sure you would also.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

There you go right there.

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

exactly

rioting would not be as bad if the murderer and his 3 accomplices were promptly arrested, and Lord have mercy if they actually get off

Floyd was calling out to his dead mom as he was lying there slowly dying...the blatant disregard for the life of another human being is demonic

Floyd’s death was 1 of the hardest I’ve watched...I’ve only been able to watch it once, I can’t bear to see it again...him begging for his life like that, and the cops just not caring...pure evil

Yung-T, amaru, Two Sandwiches and 2 others like this.
  17. Reeko

Reeko Member

another thing people are tired of is when stuff like this happens, and the victim’s past starts getting brought up in an attempt to justify their murder

they were doing it so blatantly with Arbery

Floyd had a stint in jail. Will that be used against him to paint him as some thug who doesn’t need your sympathy?

the idea that the black victim must be perfect, and if not, he got what was coming

we had racists doing that in the Arbery thread

Richie_Rich, Nook, RayRay10 and 3 others like this.
  18. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I'm 100% good with peaceful protests. People's voices should be heard.

19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

So... you supported Colin Kaepernick's kneeling protests?

20. bobrek

That's great to hear that you support(ed) protests like Kaepernick and the other NFL players who peacefully protested 2-3 minutes per week where they impacted nary a soul or business or roadway. Nor did they endanger any one's life or livelihood. Kudos.