1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The View from the Ground: George Floyd Protests

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, May 28, 2020.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

A part of what's going on is that we have not seen a dramatic # of cases of COVID19 in most people's personal circles (thanks to most people social distancing). Cognitive biases being what they are, we don't "feel" like we are in danger from the virus while most people do feel the immediate impact on the economic and social front. I've been working from home-- so arguably less impacted than the numerous people who have lost their jobs-- and relieving boredom by cooking recipes from YouTube and experimenting with my work from home computer equipment.

arkoe and RayRay10 like this.
  2. jcf

jcf Member

Yes, I find this inexplicable. The virus didn’t go away. But a whole bunch of people are certainly acting like it has.

B-Bob and RayRay10 like this.
  3. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I don't know if this is real but if so I found my favorite protester...

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

well damn

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

i think it makes sense even while it’s scary.

On the right, people think the economy is more important than the virus, which they believe to be overblown anyway.

On the left, people feel that racial oppression and murdered minorities are more important than the virus.

By the stats, of course, all Americans are much more likely to die of COVID than of police violence, and all lives equally don’t matter to the virus.

6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Yup.. which is why no matter how much I agreed with the protesters there was no way I was going to risk my family's health/life to attend a crowd of 60,000 plus. I hope we don't have an outbreak and that people in that large protest in Houston don't start dropping dead.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. shorerider

shorerider Member

Haven't you figured it out? It depends on what you are protesting that determines whether or not you are at risk of catching and spreading the virus, and therefore deserving of public shaming.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This guy lives in my neighborhood.
    https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020...among-the-seriously-injured-floyd-protesters/
    Recent Humphrey Institute Grad Among The Seriously Injured Floyd Protesters
    MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Soren Stevenson was putting to practice his recent master’s degree from the Humphrey School of Public Affairs.

His passion for public management and national security policy compelled him to participate in a series of peaceful protests on Sunday.

“We were linking arms and just before that, we were saying hands up don’t shoot,” Stevenson recalls.

Soren was at the front of the protest line at the on ramp to southbound 35W at University Avenue. Seconds after tear gas and flash bangs filled the air, came the disfiguring shot.

Soren describes the moment, saying, “I looked up at it like this and then was hit in the head with something.”

Maimed by what’s called a “non-lethal” round. It was very likely a 40-millimeter plastic projectile that hit his left eye.

“I’ll never be able to see out of this eye and I believe they’ll be removing this eye at a certain point,” says the bandaged Stevenson.

He still can’t watch the news video which captures the entire encounter. It is simply too raw and emotional. However, his friends who were also there on the protest line did and are moved to tears.

“He’s closest to the camera,” says friend Liz Heehn.

She and friend Jamee Elsayad, say it was a peaceful and non-violent gathering well before the 8:00 p.m. curfew. But what upsets them is that they can recall no police warning or order to disperse.

“There was no, ‘we need to move’ to a different place, no curfew at this time,” Elsayad said. “Nothing, just firing at us.”

Student nurses tended to Soren’s serious injuries and then rushed him to the nearby M Health Fairview University of Minnesota Medical Center.

“He’s not the only one getting hurt and something fundamentally needs to change,” added Heehn.

The injury will forever change Stevenson’s physical appearance. But Soren says it will not alter his resolve to fight injustice.

“No amount of tear gas or rubber bullets will prevent people from standing up for the rights of their brothers and sisters. We won’t stop, never,” said Soren.

A GoFundMe is gathering donations to help Soren defer medical costs. To learn more about how you can help, click here.

10. jcf

jcf Member

The guy in the black shirt seems like a good guy.

Hakeemtheking and jiggyfly like this.
  11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@Senator

This is why people hate the police. You want to address that issue, instead of whining about media brainwashing maybe you can start acknowledging that there is a reason for the way people feel about cops.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. Senator

Senator Member

What were the events leading up to the police acting this way?

Everyone supports peaceful protests and we know many intend to be peaceful, but as we can see, things get worse and worse with little police behavior. Some people are used to being surrounded by enablers who only tell them what they want to hear.

When you are part of a mob and people start acting violent and aggressive and blocking the path of those patrolling proceedings, the police will do what they have to do - under democrat or republican leadership. Ever been caught in a stampede?

Here are 2 things i've seen that happen every time:

1. Videos of protestors crying about police pushing them to the ground despite not being violent with them when video of the event shows them charging at police , screaming obscenities at them, acting unruly, not being violent but threatening the cops in a manner to "antagonize" and "test" them. Sometimes they intentionally block their path. They expect to get away with too much and a little push back has them running to use the constitution.

2. Videos of peaceful protestors getting injured because of the actions of people a certain distance away from them. As a mob, you are part of a unit and collateral damage will happen when parts of that unit get out of control. This incident likely falls here.

Reserve judgment until all the facts are established and we see what led up to these events, but collateral damage does happen when many lives are at stake. The cops know they are being watched closely and have been way too lenient from videos in LA and NYC - when you see entire cities burning , looters happily strolling through broken glass knowing no one can touch them and "protestors" playing victims after acting a fool . . . .. the racists on both sides win.

None of this has anything to do with race, it's common sense that SHLD be taught at home.

13. Senator

Senator Member

the flip side a victim enabler like rocketsjudoka won't post about

https://www.twincities.com/2009/04/...elers-hurled-beer-bottles-at-police-officers/

https://www.detroitnews.com/picture...minnesota-wake-george-floyd-death/5284131002/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^^ affordable housing complex completely destroyed and set on fire.

[​IMG]

sure it's the cops you need to be angry with because that's how the media programmed you? Rioters had a lot more to do with ruining that guy's face than a cop.

14. Senator

Senator Member

[​IMG]

Peaceful protests!

15. Senator

Senator Member

[​IMG]

A protester uses a bar to break the windows of a tire store, Thursday, May 28, 2020, in St. Paul, Minn. Violent protests over the death of George Floyd, the black man in police custody broke out in Minneapolis for a second straight night Wednesday, with protesters in a standoff with officers outside a police precinct and looting of nearby stores.

This is the media's definition of a "protestor".

16. Senator

Senator Member

[​IMG]

why didn't Rocketsjudoka save this family dollar? no cops in sight should have been easy with all the peaceful protestors.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You tell one side to justify illegal actions. The police can act illegally because they are the victims you claim. The real victims are blacks who deal with racism you refuse to acknowledge, and who take the brunt of the pandemic and ensuing economic collapse. The police have a tough job - but it is their job to be PROFESSIONALS and not abuse or kill people because they aren't respected.

And you only try to smear one side without seeing that there are multiple forces at work here:

You want to paint a story of black hoodlums rioting and causing trouble - of antifa and blm being disorder but the reality isn't that. The reality is that the right has an interest in painting blacks and the left as evil doers to justify Trump;s crack down.

And it's this spin you buy into and now you are pushing - that makes you a sad person. Look in the mirror, THINK, and try to question your beliefs for once.

18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

The memorial service for George Floyd in Minneapolis just started. It's being held at a small Christian college just south of US Bank Stadium.

conquistador#11 and RayRay10 like this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I'm not going to bother directly responding because I'm not even sure what you're expecting of me

In picture of the flag in front of Minnehaha liquors I was feet away from the store at probably about the same time this pic was taken. For record I did dodge stuff people were throwing such as bottles. I don't know if they were targeting me specifically as I was trying to get back to our aid station and wasn't going to stick around and determine if they were.

Hakeemtheking, jiggyfly and RayRay10 like this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Well someone still cares about COVID-19 as at Floyd's memorial they just announced take every other seat for social distance. i'm seeing it broadcast and it doesn't like there is any social distance. Although most of the people there are wearing masked, except for the chorus of course.

RayRay10 likes this.