1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Undervaluing of Trevor Ariza - Do you trade him for a LMA/Love type player if possible?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JayZ750, Jun 25, 2015.

?

How do you value Ariza?

1. I would trade Ariza for Love

27.8%
  2. I would NOT trade Ariza for Love

31.8%
  3. I would trade Ariza for LMA

73.7%
  4. I would NOT trade Ariza for LMA

10.6%
  5. I would trade Ariza for a max level player, but not for Love or LMA

13.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

While I hold out hope DM finds some super creative ways to find either enough cap room or assets to acquire a LMA, Love or similar player without trading Ariza, as Bima and others have pointed out, even if the team got rid of all assets not named Harden, Howard, Ariza... there still isn't enough room to give LMA or Love the type of contracts they'd likely want. This is principally a Howard issue btw... His $22 million contract is outsized relative to his value. He deserves in the $15-$16 million range this year, but it is what it is.

That being the case, what is Ariza's value to the team.

I'd argue that you have to think long and hard before you include him in a trade for LMA or Love. Here's why:

1. The value of defensive versatility. The Rockets have NO ONE on the team that can guard like Ariza. Not even Dwight. Ariza can occasionally guard the 4. he can guard the 1,2 and 3. He is 100% fine on PnR defense. He is a solid defensive rebounder. In my view, at the top of the list of the differences between first round exit 2014 and WCF finals 2015 is Ariza's defensive versatility impact (and that's considering the bench was big at times, and the defense in the playoffs wasn't great).

2. The value of 3 point shooters around James. Trevor shot 35% during the year, and 37.5% in the playoffs. He was particularly good at corner threes.

3. Trevor's contract. $8.2 million next year and declining. Great great value.

4. Replace-ability. If you're trading Ariza its as part of a package to get LMA or Love type player. There goes any other trade assets you might have. You have little cap flexibility at that point. How do you get a replacement. KJ McDaniels? Come on.

This thread/poll is simple.
    Would you include Ariza in a trade for Love or LMA?

2. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm fine with Dmo... Need PG

3. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

we can't bog the payroll down on 3 guys, I am not convinced it works, you saw Golden State overwhelm with great depth and solid play from all positions. I love Ariza, trading for Aldridge would be great but if our starting SF is a scrub I am not convinced we get all that much better

4. finsraider

finsraider Member

You will need to find an adequate replacement, and good luck with that.

5. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

At this point I'm not really sure the Rockets need a major PF upgrade.

In the NBA you HAVE TO HAVE a 3 and D type SF (if you don't have a star SF) to guard the Lebrons, KDs, etc of the world.

Rockets HAVE to go after another ball handling PG to place next to Harden and ideally one that plays D. I used to think we needed a 3 pt shooting PG, but I think good defense/ball handling against all of the talented PGs (there are a lot of them in the NBA) would suffice. Rondo Boston days would be good if he could play off ball once in a while (today's Rondo is garbage, I'd pass on him today).

I guess I'd lean towards no to making the trade unless we can find another 3/D type SF (doesn't have to be as good as Ariza, but at least solid) and a PG as the main priorities. If we can do that I'd change to absolutely yes I'd do a trade for one of them.

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

As a believer in the need for continuity, I would not trade him. Not sure if Morey agrees with me.

7. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Good question as I've been thinking about this today with all the rumors.

I don't make that trade personally for a few reasons:
    1) We probably have to trade all our assets along with Ariza to get that deal done and the differential of talent between the PG position and the PF position leaves me feeling like we get a good upgrade at PF while keeping a huge problem at PG and creating another huge problem at SF.
    2) I think we can make a more significant upgrade in talent at the PG at a fraction of the cost it would take to get LMA/Love (both assets in trade and salary they'd demand). Which makes me think even more so that limits our ability to do much in 2016 when the cap space increases even more.

I prefer to roll with Dmo/Smith at PF, keep Ariza and make a run at a quality PG. I can't stand another year of poor PG play and depth.

8. Newlin

Newlin Member

I would be willing to include him in a trade. But, a lot would depend on what else we would be trading with him.

9. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Would be hard to replace that kind of defensive wing that brings it on that side of the ball every night

10. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

I like Ariza a lot, but you absolutely have to do it.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

You want to be the team that finds the next Trevor Ariza, not the team that has to hold onto Trevor Ariza.

12. Remlap

Remlap Member

Ariza for Aldridge?

[​IMG]

13. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Yeah id trade him. Hes great at his role but hes still a role player. Id trade him for aldridge any day of the week.

It wouldnt be hard to convince some wily vet to come play the 3 for us at a minmuk for us with three superstars on the roster.

I wouldnt trade him in a transaction for Love though. Love is too much of a liability defensively to lose ariza

14. Marteen

Marteen Member

Give me more Trevor Arizas as role players. I'll take that in a heartbeat over one star. If Ariza doesn't have to be moved then that's a different story.

15. mockster

mockster Member

You do it, a star is a star and alridge is going to contribute more in every stat possiable. Him and howard in the paint would be an awesome combo of offense and defense.

Brewer replaces Ariza easy as that. Obviously your losing aromas length and defense and depth in the position, you can always get another sf, kj mcdaniels may come up

16. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

In my opinion there are 4 players I'm not trading.

Harden -- 1st Star
    Howard -- 2nd Star
    DMo -- Played great when Howard was out and before he got hurt
    Capella -- too much potential

Anyone else is open for discussion.

17. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Torn with Love since both he and Ariza are UCLA guys - I really really like Love but I am not sure how much of an upgrade he would be on this current squad. His post game isn't bad at all and he can shoot the 3 ball to help stretch the D and more importantly he has the rep to make defenses stay honest. He rebounds so so well but his defense is so poor.

I would keep Ariza because I feel the defense Ariza brings means a lot more to the added offense.

LMA I would trade Ariza for. Granted he is older and he has had some playoff success but since he is older going to be hungry to win more. He is also a double double guy but his offensive game is much better than Love's. He isnt as good of arebounder but he is a better defender and his length will causes issues for opposing players on both ends of the floor.

I do not think either player will be available but Morey has KJ McDaniels who is no where ready to start for a playoff team and isnt the player Ariza is but he could be molded into that player. McDaniels makes Brewer look like Klay Thompson right now, but I like the intensity with which he plays defense.

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I wouldn't trade Ariza for Kevin Love, I wouldn't trade Capela for him either.
    I would trade Ariza with reluctance for LMA, and would try to hang on to Capela, but I would include him too as a last resort. Getting a replacement for Ariza would be tough. Brewer and Smith would have to take up his role.

19. Raven

Raven Member

If you have to move Ariza for LMA, you do that. It might give future free agents pause before signing with us, but it's worth the risk. Acquiring LMA also #### blocks him from going to SA, Dallas, or LA.

20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Ariza is a good role player BUT...

Ariza is replaceable.

LMA not so much.

If Ariza needs to be sacrificed to get LMA on this team for a Harden-Howard-LMA core, then so be it.