1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The UFC thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by dragician, Oct 26, 2013.

1. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Are you a fighter? Srs question. Easy to say 'very little effect at all', but from the looks of it (and what the announcers were saying), seemed like he was getting rocked. A little kid punching you in the head a bunch of times would have a bit of an effect, let alone Brock Lesnar. Even a love tap from him would shake the brain a little bit in the skull. Would be shocked if Hunt didn't have a concussion.

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

It's MMA. Ground fighting is an aspect of this game. I don't want this sport to become like what judo has become.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Just because Hunt didn't get KO'ed doesn't mean those shots were doing little damage. I don't know why you would think those punches were doing little damage.

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I know you don't recognize it, but Brock is using technique to hold down Hunt and to pass to different positions in top control. Hunt isn't exactly a small kid or someone that gets held down easily.

5. body slam

body slam Member

How did Frankie lose he clearly had Aldo out pointed? It almost seemed like it was rigged to set up Aldo McGregor 2.

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Miesha beating Holly was flukish. I see Rousey coming back and destroying Nunez, and then having a rematch with Holly which will be a really big fight.

7. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

This is a joke, right?

8. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Aldo was the Brazilian in yellow trunks. Edgar was the New Jerseyian in black trunks. You have them confused for each other.

Seriously though, I would have actually preferred to see Edgar/McGregor over an Aldo rematch. Although technically, we would also being seeing Aldo/McGregor fight for the first time

9. body slam

body slam Member

Which rounds did Aldo win?

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Frankie may have landed more punches than Aldo in some rounds, but Aldo was way ahead on significant strikes. In all it was a boring fight IMO because it was 2 little kids that lacked the power to get a KO, it's why Connor McGreggor dominates that division despite his glaring flaws as a fighter. He's pretty much the only guy with serious knockout power.....power that is nothing special at all at the next higher weight class.

I mean Aldo is one of the best Featherweights but he hasn't had a legitimate knockout in 4 years. I'm just not real big on decisions.

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

No one want to watch 2 dudes grinding up on each other on the floor for 5 minutes. I wish JJ could have beat the **** out of DC so that we can get him out of the UFC.

The talent in the UFC at least at the heavier weights has gone down. You had Silva, GSP, and Jon Jones. Silva is old. GSP is retired and getting oldeer, and Jones can't keep clean.

12. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Thats the worst idea I have ever heard this is mixed martial arts not kick boxing! Regardless of if its the most entertaining thing to watch or not taking a guy down and riding him for three rounds is smart fighting. why try and box with a guy that can knock you out at any point when you can use the wrestling that has made you what you are to gain the advantage?

People that just want to see guys stand up and trade punches are just blood thirsty fans with no appreciation for how hard it is to get in that octagon.

13. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Why do people have problems with DC? I really dont get it? He is an honest dude and a great fighter.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The difference in styles is the whole point of MMA to begin with. If everyone just stands up and throws punches and kicks at eachothere than like you said, that's kick boxing. The difference in styles is why MMA is the dominant sport and others like boxing and kick boxing are dead.

15. sew

sew Member

16. 713

713 Member

Becuz Nobody wants to see a fat dude lay on top of someone for 25 minutes.

17. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

the mix martial arts in mma is great and I'm definitely a fan of submissions and ground and pound, but one virulent aspect of ground game that has haunted the UFC is the LAY and Pray.

Lay n Pray, was definitely employed last night, you can usually hear the boos when it happens.

Lesnar is definitely a monster in strength & wrestling, but damn he needs to improve his ground control/positioning/submission skills, since its probably too late for him to do anything about his standup.

Cormier is boring.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not skill that he's lacking, it's stamina. Ever since he got diverticulitis he's had no stamina whatsoever and I don't think there's anything he can do about it, and I think it contributed to him retiring to begin with.

He was dominant in the first round, and then he was just too gassed to do anything after that.

19. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

well that was boring and uneventful. doesn't help when the announcer is hyping it as not only the biggest night in MMA but all of sports lol. went downhill pretty much after the Cain fight. would have been a crap card if Brock was not booked. Brock who came in as a clear underdog in Vegas, shut people up and did his damn thing. Won me easy money.

then the Tate fight was very anti-climatic. did she even take her opponent seriously? turned down a holms rematch for her? welp

20. GIGO

GIGO Member

UFC sold for $4 billion, annoucement expected Monday

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/7/11/12146610/report-ufc-sold-for-4-billion-annoucement-expected-monday