1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Tyler White Wager

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by CometsWin, Sep 22, 2015.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I bet AJ can play outfield.

Something tells me he is athletic enough to be a better defensive option than Tucker.

2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Well, so am I

(I can't hit though)

3. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

That is an interesting comparison, and i think you are on the right track there not only with numbers but physically.

Billy Butler is a career .290 average with OBP of .355.
    I think White can have a better OBP. Butler gets around 15 homers per year.

If you tell me that White will get those numbers, I TAKE THEM.

Now, the guy has hit EVERYWHERE he goes, so i would not be surprised if numbers are even better.
    I will give you another name, maybe a right handed Kruk with more power.

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

All the comparisons don't have to be fat guys, people.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I can't help but think his power is being under sold. He's hit 3 HR already, and his 2 doubles were shots off the wall. I think he might be a 25HR guy.

6. The Beard

You saying i'm fat?

7. The Beard

If so, we could have another stud bat on our hands

Completely different players obviously, but reminds me of the Altuve situation a bit. Was never a bigtime prospect, but just hit everywhere he has been, comes to the majors and just keeps on doing what he does

8. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

So if the league could redraft the 2013 MLB draft, where would Tyler White be taken?
    1.2 after Kris Bryant ? Seriously though, Luhnow getting him in the 33rd is like stealing an additional top 10 first rounder and IMO makes up for any Mark Appel failures... If Luhnow drafted White 1.1 and Appel in tbe 33rd round, would anyone be complaining ?

Prob too soon but man I'm excited !!!

9. cdain3

cdain3 Member

White is Matt Adams with less strikeouts.

10. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, I was just thinking approach and eye at the plate, plate coverage, solid RH power to all fields, glove at 1B (though Millar could play OF for a bit early in his career), body type, IQ, work ethic...not really production.

Kid can rake, he'll have his ups and downs early but damn he is fun to watch hit. AJ Reed is similar (DH/1B), they are both a great mix in with the freeswinging Altuve/Springer/Rasmus/Gattis types.

11. finsraider

finsraider Member

Don't forget Moran. Moran and White give the Astros a couple of high contact guys to go with all our power.

It's really a great problem to have, but we're going to need a mid season trade to clean things up a bit. Can't keep all of Gattis, Valbuena, Tucker and move Moran and Reed up.

12. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

White has three home runs in five games. There is nobody on the Astros team who has demonstrated more power so far than Tyler White. Just saying.

13. Poloshirtbandit

I hope this nickname catches on. It probably won't though.

14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Why is/was he considered a lesser prospect. He seems to have hit at every level.

16. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

lots of bias towards measurables and "potential", in addition to the fact that where you're drafted matters in most prospect rankings.

I'll take the guy who just won player of the week, thank you very much

17. Nook

Nook Member

Because he went to a small college where he started slow and consistently got better every season. So he wasn't even viewed as a viable draftable player until his senior year in college was done. He showed no power in college until his senior season and teams felt he would not have a position defensively.

Further, he was almost the 1000th player drafted when the Astros drafted him (based on reports from his coaches and his ability to make solid contact).

Then you have to consider that Tyler White is not fast, he is not athletic and for most of his career has been viewed as having a terrible body.

Working through the Astros system, he hit well but not for a lot of power initially, and he was a four year college player so scouts did not view him as going to improve much.

All of these are biases in the scouting community, so who have supposed "experts" even a few months ago having him down on the Astros lists as well.

What they failed to consider is that White has been progressively getting better since he was 20 years old. As he adjusted in college, he became an exceptional hitter at all facets and became a good power hitter. In the minors, White began hitting well at the low levels, and as he made adjustments he began hitting at all facets of the game, and last year you saw the power come (I want to say he hit around 20 homers)..... then you saw him adjust his swing even more in the Winter League and generate more bat speed and power. Even this Spring Training, White came into camp 20 pounds lighter and shortened his swing to handle a higher level of pitcher.

Now, there are no guarantees, White isn't Ken Griffey Jr or Alex Rodriguez where he only needs to stay healthy and be a star player. However, White has a lengthy track record of success...... and he isn't done getting better. He is working very hard with a trainer and dietician and I expect his body to firm up more (AJ Reed is as well). White has an exceptional IQ for hitting and he works very smart and hard, and he has really good hand-eye coordination........... those type of skills tend to get over looked.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Bad body and weak amateur competition started him on wrong leg. Not much of a defender. Little speed. Got a ton of value in minors from walks. Didn't hit a lot of fly balls. A little old for each level.

Very few guys like him succeed at MLB level as his success is almost entirely on being able to hit extremely well at MLB level. It is hard to hit MLB pitching well. Guys like Tucker, White, and Moran typically have to hit at MLB level before they are given much credit.

It takes a good front office to be able to find a guy like White and develop him.

19. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

All-bat guys get overlooked because scouts loves toolsy guys. If the hit tools never develop/adjust in the show, they can at least contribute as defensive or base running subs. A bad body guy who doesn't adjust at the major level is worthless.

20. Buck Turgidson

See: Moneyball darling Jeremy Brown