1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The trade tonight (Asik to NO for future 1st) signifies one thing: Morey's prize is Kevin Love

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dat Dude, Jun 25, 2014.

1. torocan

torocan Member

No. Lin's salary cap hit is $8.3M to everyone. The Cap hit doesn't change when you trade a player.

What does happen in the case of Gilbert Arena's is the cap hit is established (crystalized). If NY had matched, they'd have cap hits of $5/5/15, which would mean trading Lin at a $15M cap hit this year.

However, since Lin's salary was accrued over the life of the contract for the purposes of cap calculation, the cap hit was established as $8.3x3.

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

You left out the tenth place there.

LeBron's gunning for Bill Russell!

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

It would be silly for us to not even give ourselves a chance at LeBron by trading for Love tomorrow.

I don't think Minny deals Love tomorrow anyway, might as well shoot for LBJ/Melo and if unsuccessful, deals for Love can be pursued.

4. Throttle

Throttle Member

whats the point of having such great players without a coach thats up to the task of leading them to a championship?

5. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Ah ok. Thanks for the clarification.

6. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Com'n, you worry about things that are easily replaceable last. As we have learned in our three year mediocre treadmill run, stars are the hardest things to find. That's the same thing as someone saying, "yes, we can land that star, but what about our bench?" Which, even if the bench becomes a concern, Morey is a top 2 GM at finding amazing role players on the cheap out of nowhere.

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

You make it seem like a coach is difficult to replace if they're not succeeding.

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Honestly, I still don't think that is enough for Love, but it is absolutely enough for a guy like Rondo.

9. Throttle

Throttle Member

how many good coaches are freely available now? george karl? larry brown? mike K? anyway ill stop posting about coaches in this thread to prevent it going off topic :grin:

10. sabesque

sabesque Member

So assuming this helps facilitate getting Love. This trade also gives us the cap space to be just slightly under what Lowry is wanting in FA.

Lowry
    Beard
    Parsons
    Love
    Howard

Significant improvement in both of our holes coming out of last season.

11. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

That's championships right there. There's no question about it.

12. YallMean

YallMean Member

hehe, haha, chichi ... love to see yall pouting face we end up with no Bron, No Melo, no Love but Lin Lin Lin.

13. reliableman

reliableman Member

I agree with your reasoning, but not where you ended up.

The way I see it...we were going to find a trading partner for Asik this offseason with the intention of clearing cap space for this summer and/or next summer to make a run at free agents. We got EXACTLY what we hoped for, but I don't think most people thought it would (seemingly) be that easy.

We are most certainly making a run at this year's free agent class, but if we strike out on the big fish (Melo/Lebron/Bosh?), I do agree that we might consider saving our big money for next offseason. We could make some small moves and still pursue a trade for Love at some point.

We could keep Lin as backup SG/PG and sign somebody like a Lowry/Ariza/Bledsoe/etc. Having Lin's contract coming off the books next season would be alright...

Trading Lin might be slightly easier now though knowing that Asik is off the books. That gives a little bit more flexibility to us just knowing where we stand -- with one piece of the puzzle having already fallen into place.

14. reliableman

reliableman Member

No way that is possible. Both Lowry and Parsons are going to be making close to $10 million.

15. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I would absolutely love this team if that's the lineup we ended up with...as long as we get to keep Bev!

16. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

No it is possible. My understanding is we can sign Lowry outright as a UFA. Then we can go over the cap to match whatever contract Parsons can get because he's an RFA. We may have to pay lux tax. But WHO FREAKING CARES?! lol

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Morey trades Asik in order to gain no salary in return.
    Clear step 1 of making the $18million in cap space required to make LBJ an offer.

BUT WAIT: poster logs on Clutchfans 'I think this is a clear sign Morey is going after Kevin Love'.

I don't understand how it's a clear sign he is pursuing Love in the slightest???? The most obvious sign is that he is making the moves to get LBJ or Melo. Sure, he could parlay the asset into Love if he wanted, but it's not the logical move, if he were after Love, Morey would have snuck back another asset from New Orleans in the form of a player (Jeff Withey for example), or something else he could use in this draft.

It seems a fairly clear move to clear space for Lebron.

1 person likes this.
  18. reliableman

reliableman Member

We can sign Lowry as a free agent. Actually, I believe we'll need to clear a little more space for that to happen. THEN we can sign Parsons using his Bird rights and go over cap. BUT...how do we end up with Love while keeping Harden/Lowry/Parsons/Howard?

19. sun12

sun12 Member

Yes,

Howard
    Love, no defense
    Parsons, no defense
    Harden, no defense
    PG, too short to defend

Trailblazers would be very happy

20. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Still doesn't top what some other teams can offer. Cleveland can give them good young prospects along with the number one pick. Phoenix can offer one of their PGs along with both their picks. Boston has a lot of young guys plus the #6 pick.

All those offers, especially Cleveland's, I think is more likely to please Minn than parsons, jones, and two mid/late 1st rounders.

I wouldn't rule it out, but I would obviously rather Lebron... And I would rather have Melo if it means we can keep parsons.