1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Times-Picayune]Hornets hoping Jackson will come around

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yaowaming, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Yaowaming

Yaowaming Contributing Member

http://www.nola.com/hornets/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/110534026914990.xml

Hornets hoping Jackson will come around
    He's still suspended for failing to report to N.O. following trade
    Monday, January 10, 2005
    By Benjamin Hochman

Staff writer
    Moments after the Hornets' stunning 121-117 overtime victory against Sacramento on Saturday night, wide smiles filled the locker room, and glowing compliments showered like Mardi Gras beads on Napoleon Avenue in February.

But, amid the merriment following a victory against a team with 19 more wins was a looming reminder of the Hornets' futility. The first locker to the left of the door, which looked like a museum display, featured an unworn Hornets uniform -- "Jackson 22" on the back.

It was Dec. 27 when New Orleans traded fan favorite David Wesley to Houston for Jim Jackson and Bostjan Nachbar. On Saturday, Nachbar was hustling, making jumpers and drawing charges. Jackson was nowhere to be found.

The veteran guard/forward has yet to report, disappointed after being traded to the team with the NBA's worst record. He remains suspended -- he has lost $137,500 in salary since the trade -- and his agent, Mark Termini, has talked to Hornets general manager Allan Bristow just once since Jackson's holdout began. Termini did not return phone calls seeking comment.

And so the Hornets brass can only tap its feet, waiting for a decision from the 34-year-old, 13-season veteran who would be joining his 11th team.

"For us, is it an insult?" asked Hornets coach Byron Scott, whose team is 3-29. "I wouldn't say insult -- more of a slap in the face. It's not the first time a player didn't want to go to a team. And it won't be the last time. But it is one of the few times in our league that a player didn't report -- or didn't report late after at least three or four days. So this is a unique circumstance."

Meanwhile, Hornets fans can't help but ask -- Just who is this Jim Jackson guy anyway, and why is he pulling this stunt?

To find the answer, one must know there are two Jim Jacksons in the NBA. There is the virtuous teammate, the one-time "franchise savior"-turned-quality role player. And there's the irascible prima donna, who began his career with a holdout -- the No. 4 overall draft pick sat out his first 54 games with Dallas in the 1992-93 season -- and could perhaps end his career with one, as well.

"Oh, yeah, I heard all about him," Houston coach Jeff Van Gundy told ESPN Magazine in 2003. " 'Coach Killer.' 'Locker room lawyer.' But I go by what I see, not what I hear."

One of the all-time greats at Ohio State, James Arthur Jackson was chosen No. 4 by the lowly Mavericks in 1992, but this was before the NBA created its rookie salary scale. Thus, the unofficial way a player's contractual value was determined was by analyzing the contract of the previous draft pick at that slot, and the contracts of the picks in the current draft that already had been signed. Jackson, who believed he was worth more than Dallas was offering, held out.

He ultimately signed with Dallas, and put up big numbers -- 16.3 points per game in the final 28 games of his rookie season. He averaged 19.2, 25.7 and 19.6 points per game the next three seasons for the Mavericks, who were hoping to build through the draft, scooping up college stars Jason Kidd and Jamal Mashburn, who is sitting out this season for New Orleans with a knee injury. They were called "The Three J's." Those Mavericks never made the playoffs, and off-the-court problems led to a falling out between the teammates.

"You think of all the great triumvirates in NBA history -- like Bird, Parrish and McHale, or Magic, Worthy and Kareem," wrote Dallas Morning News columnist Kevin Blackistone in 1996. "And the Mavericks get stuck with what suddenly looks to be Larry, Curley and Mo."

But a funny thing happened on the way to New Jersey, Philadelphia, Golden State, Portland, and all the other places Jackson called home during the next eight seasons. Jackson evolved into a valuable role player -- and a liked teammate.

"Jim is a good dude, actually," said Kings guard Doug Christie, who played with Jackson in 2002-03. "From the trades that he's had, and the different cities he's been in, he's kind of gotten a bad spiel, but when he was a teammate of ours, he was the best kind of teammate you could want. He was always supporting, always had your back, dependable. He always worked hard, before practice, after practice. Sometimes, I'd go in the gym at night, and he was in there. He was a great guy. I wish he was still our teammate."

This season, Jackson averaged 13.3 points per game for the Rockets when he got the call.

"Obviously, he wants to go to somebody who's winning at the end of his career," Sacramento coach Rick Adelman said. "I guess I'm not surprised that that's what his thinking was."

"It's a business, and I think he's trying to make a business decision," Scott said. "He thinks as far as business-wise, and professional-wise, this isn't the best place for him."

Bristow said trading Jackson is a possibility, but also said, "we want Jim Jackson."

The NBA rules state that he cannot be packaged in a trade within 60 days of the Dec. 27 trade. But, Jackson alone could be traded for a player or players that match his $2.42 million salary for this season. The Hornets have not set a timetable for when -- or if -- they cut their losses and trade him, and so Jackson will remain suspended by the team, and his locker will remain untouched.

Last Wednesday, Jackson did make a surprise appearance at an NBA game. No, he wasn't checking out the Hornets against the Bulls. He was spotted in the stands in Miami, watching the Heat play the Knicks. Instead of making $27,500 (his per-game salary) by playing for his team, he lost that amount by watching others.

. . . . . . .

Benjamin Hochman can be reached at bhochman@timespicayune.com or (504) 826-3405.

#1 Yaowaming, Jan 10, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2005
  2. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

Someone told me this weekend that they may trade Jackson to Miami !?!?!

3. Yaowaming

Yaowaming Contributing Member

I heard that too!!!

4. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

5. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

heeellzzz yeeaaa mIaMi woOt wOot

:confused:

6. dafatha00

dafatha00 Contributing Member

I could see an Eddie Jones trade for Jim Jackson. Who else would go? Damon Jones?