1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans and thier bright future.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Dr. Basketball, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

. With all the dumb choices this franchise makes I wouldnt bet against that.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Despite passing on Bush and Vince, the Texans had a very good draft.

Mario showed some flashes this season, hopefully he'll keep on improving and justify being the #1 pick. Not much needs to be said about Ryans, we all know he is the future of our defense. Spencer and Winston could turn into good lineman. Daniels is a good receiver TE.

As for our future, it all depends on who takes over at QB. We can pick up a good RB (Peterson, Turner, Betts, etc...), we have our WR and TE, we just need that one guy who is going to put it all together.

The future for the Texans has the potential to be bright, but until we get a leader, it's hard to tell.

3. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

I don't live in China.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That's probably true, but his point is that there actually are some things about this team that you can be somewhat excited about. I agree with him, I think our defense will be very good in a year or two.

5. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

I'm ready for next year too because there is so much potential for this organization to do well in the draft and FA.

Since this will be Rick Smith's first draft at the helm I'm intrigued to see how things shape up.

First thing of course is starting over at QB. Try to trade Carr and Davis for a 2nd rounder.

If Peterson is there at the top take him, but if he's gone take LaRon Landry from LSU. Hope that Troy Smith and Darren McFadden are still available in the early 2nd round.

Sign Nate Clements in FA and either let Sage compete for the starting job to mentor the Rookie QB or bring in a Vet like Jake Plummer.

They have to be aggressive this offseason b/c they have the picks and the cap space to make something happen.

the VY/Bush debacle is over....Mario will be a damn good d-lineman...it's just time to move on.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

They only need help at QB, RB, WR, OL, DL, LB, CB, S - these guys could turn the corner at any moment.

7. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

They also could use an upgrade at Punter and Kicker. At least they're set at tight end.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i think all that can be said is what i said last year....it can't get much worse. so it probably will get better.

past that, there are just too many question marks and too few difference-makers.

9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I like the idea of signing Clements. Him and Duante back there would give us two shut down corners and open up our pass rush. Then all we would need would be to draft a safety and you can get a starting safety in the 3-5 rounds.

Plummer looks like probably the consensus next QB. I'm getting reflux already. The VY debacle will never be over. I wonder......did Kubes get ANY INPUT from any of the players regarding Carr before he made his decision. Ugh. Stupid. If the fans were going to have to endure a 4 win season.........it would have gone over so much better with VY.

But we do have to move on. Even though we will always be wondering what might have been.

10. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

I do think the Texans have a lot young core pieces in place. The only problem is that the hole that was dug by the past adminstration plus the bonehead pick this past april will only slow the turnaround even more. The Texans will succeed, it is just a question of how long will it take.

Other than the first pick this past year, the Texans had their first good draft in their history. Now, had they taken young or bush, ( I was in the bush camp, plus I used to be a Carr apologist) this process would have been a little bit quicker. Be that as it may, Mario will turn out to be a stud and the Texans will need to hit on a majority of their picks in the next couple of years. They should try to stockpile as many picks as they can via trade.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I now see why your name isn't "Dr. Football." :cool:

Mario Williams will be a pro bowler very soon? If that's true, than this season was no idication of what's to come, and you obviously have some insider scoop covering the reason why he's been so inconsistent.

DeMeco is great, absolutely no complaints there.

Robinson is solid, but he can only do so much when "Super" Mario and his buddies get so little pressure on the opposing QB.

This defense has a few nice pieces, but they are VERY far away from being one of the best in the league.

Let's get draft Adrian Peterson in the first round and Troy Smith in the 2nd! :D

12. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

I think it was pretty well noted that Mario suffers from Plantar Fascitis and has been playing through the pain. If I remember correctly he was diagnosed with it sometime after the Giants game when he had started to come on.

They're still far away but I'm just happy that they're progressing and not regressing like the offense.

13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Generally, I agree. Robinson is really good, but overrated by us.

But you're just flat saying Mario will be a bust. That's stupid. You can't just write him off like that this early..

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

true. i THINK he's gonna be good.

but honestly...my THINKING is really more HOPING. i have no idea how Mario Williams will perform next season.

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I doubt Troy Smith will slip to the second round. It would be a steal if we did get him in that round. He has a big arm and Ive heard comparisons to Breese.

16. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

See the irony here. DJ couldnt adapt to a different scheme but, we get a DE named Babin from SouthCentralCalJuniorPolyTech, err ... Western Michigan. We give up 3 picks for him and then decide to convert him to a LB. Brilliant how those results turned out. :rolleyes:

Casserly & Capers, the dumbass duo in full effect! :rolleyes:

Babin since rightly converted back has shown he's not a complete stiff but no way he was worth 3 picks. Damn! We could have done much better stockpiling but then this is C&C Idiot Factory. :rolleyes: :mad:

17. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

wow... what an ass are you.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I love Duante, but the guy has been getting BURNED regularly for the last couple of years. Of course, the lack of pass rush might have something to do with that, but I wouldn't call him a "shut down corner" at this point. Not even close, really.

I think D-Rob is a better hitter than a cover guy, but he's too small to play safety. Unlike a lot of CB's, he will HIT you. You can never accuse that guy of taking a play off.

19. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

So the 3rd down bush has no good weeks running, but the texans made a mistake? If you tell me Vince should have been the man, i can agree with you, but how can kubiak evealute Carr in 2 months? I think Kubiak did the right thing to make sure they weren't throwin aaway a franchise type qb. Now that he see Carr as a Kerry Collins/Trent Dilfer type, he will move forward. I think if the can get anything less than a 3rd , they'll bring him back and make him win the job by battling Sage or a fa. Mariio is playing with a injury in which he told solomon wilcots its very difficult to even walk. If any are Rockets fans, remember when Francis played with the same injury? They just need to keep building so this team can be good for yrs. You do this by having the guys that put their hand in the dirt and solid qb play. Thats why the most successful teams in the league are whath they are. Check the o and d line then the qb.

20. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

See - 2006 New Orleans Saints