1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans 3rd Head Coach will be...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sugrlndkid, Dec 6, 2013.

1. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

im curious as to what you guys think of my darkhorse candidate. If the giants keep sucking this could finally be the end of coughlin in NY. Would you guys be on board with coughlin? he has a hard nosed style of coaching alot of us seem to desire. only problem is he runs a 4-3 defense and he isnt available unless he is fired.

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Of the names pretty much confirmed, I think my preference would be:

1. Shaw
    2. Whisenhunt
    3. Smith
    4. Phillips

To be clear, Bob said he wanted somebody with HC experience and somebody with NFL experience. Two separate things. That doesn't necessarily mean NFL HC experience. Shaw coached in the NFL for 7 years with Philly, Oakland, and Baltimore.

He's 41. Is that really "too young"? Kubiak was 45 when we hired him.

3. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Didn't he get fired after 2 bad seasons..? I think the only reason why they got to the superbowl because of Warner being unstoppable during the playoffs

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

Of course I hope you are right, but it is the same "team" picking them all. They made two poor decisions, why do they make a good one now?

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

What has he ever "developed" because he seemed to have his head up his ass in Arizona for a long time after Warner retired

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...-whos-in-franchise-qb-market-and-who-might-be

• The Texans job should be the most attractive of all those that come available. I could see Chargers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt emerging as the front-runner there in short order. Houston likes David Shaw from Stanford, but I would be shocked if he leaves the school, and I think Lovie Smith will end up as more of a fall-back option. If Tampa opens, there would be a lot of interest given all the talent on the roster, and if Atlanta opened -- I remain unconvinced a win over Buffalo in Toronto in Week 12 and three wins on the season prevent Mike Smith from being out -- it would trump all of the above. That's the only job I believe could still get Jon Gruden out of the booth if everything was right about it, including power and control of the roster.

• From everything I am hearing about Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin's new extension with the school, he can't make the jump to the NFL this offseason. Baylor's Art Briles, if he wanted to, could jump to the pros pretty easily. I don't think he would consider anything other than a reunion with RG3 in Washington.

7. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

HELL YES

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

:grin:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Texans&amp;src=hash">#Texans</a> won't have to look far for their next head coach. <a href="http://t.co/ke6qFDoTqY">pic.twitter.com/ke6qFDoTqY</a></p>&mdash; Fake John McClain (@FakeJohnMcClain) <a href="https://twitter.com/FakeJohnMcClain/statuses/410105081552318465">December 9, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1 person likes this.
  9. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Now that's just MEAN! I just pulled muscle LMAO!

10. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C #nomnom

11. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

He would be terrific. He is a great Head coach. The only issue is I think he retires if he is fired this season. And really dont ever see him getting fired unless the Giants do the same thing again next year.

12. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

LMFAO :grin::grin:

13. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

LOL...our ANDY REID!!!

[​IMG]

14. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

David Shaw please.

15. Summer Song Giver

I hope it's Lovie.

16. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

As attractive as the Texans HC position may be, does anyone think that the conflict with GM will eliminate any candidates? I'd think someone like John Gruden or Lovie would want complete control of personnel. Smith, whatever his role was with Gary, would want a larger say going forward, wouldn't he?

17. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

J.R., on this second point, if I remember correctly, Sumlin has not officially signed his extension, it's just been agreed upon, correct? If so, wouldn't it be easy for him to jump if he hasn't put down his signature on the A&M deal yet?

That being said, I don't want Sumlin as our coach, just trying to clarify.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Sumlin reportedly hasn't signed because the BOR hasn't met yet but are expected to do so soon and then it'll all fall in to place (or something like that).

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Very Gillispian sounding excuse. A bunch of old, small town white folk cant find time to meet?

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I still like the idea of Darrell Bevell (Seahawks OC). Look at what he's done with Russell Wilson and imagine what he could do with Bridgewater.

I think this idea that we have to get someone who is "fiery" and is just going to yell and scream on the sideline is silly. This is the NFL, not high school. The NFL is about being innovative with X's and O's, not yelling and screaming at press conferences.