1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans 3rd Head Coach will be...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sugrlndkid, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

No more battle fighters

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I'd rather just get back Kyle Shannahan as OC. Maybe he won't want to come after us firing his boy Kubiak though.

3. Nook

Nook Member

There is no doubt Smith knows defense. He also is loved by his players.

However he was terrible at offense and inept at choosing his assistants, especially on the offensive side of the ball. He also treated the fans and media poorly.

Ultimately Smith isn't hated in Chicago but also isn't missed.

Many of the complaints about the Texans ownership and front office are/were echoed in Chicago with their ownership and former GM Jerry Angelo.

The Texans can do a lot worse than Smith, and I do not doubt that the team would be better next year, but Smith would have to be surrounded with good coaches on the offensive side of the ball. Smith is so arrogant that I an not sure that he just let the offense do their thing.

One last thing..... a Rick Smith and Lovie Smith combo is SCARY if you are a Texans fan. Both are very arrogant and do not take responsibility for their mistakes. If you hire Lovie, you better have a STRONG general manager.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...4ae398-6033-11e3-94ad-004fefa61ee6_story.html

Multiple people with knowledge of the thinking of Redskins officials said members of the team’s management wonder whether Shanahan is hopeful of leaving the organization to be a candidate for the Houston Texans’ head coaching vacancy.

Texans owner Robert McNair fired Gary Kubiak as that team’s coach Friday, with the Texans on an 11-game losing streak that has dropped their record to 2-11. The Texans could have the top overall selection in the NFL draft this spring, and the job still is regarded as attractive to those within the industry. Shanahan’s son, Redskins offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, formerly was the Texans’ offensive coordinator and potentially could accompany Mike Shanahan to Houston.

5. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Have you seen how bad Kyle has been with the skins? If he wasn't Mike's son he would have already been fired by them. He'll most likely get daddy fired as well.

6. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't believe that this would even be in play for McNair. If it were to happen, I think I'd have to off myself.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yeah, we'd all like to think it's not a possibility. Let's hope it isn't.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>If the <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Texans&amp;src=hash">#Texans</a> want to interview Mike Shanahan I'm guessing he'll have some time later this afternoon.</p>&mdash; Cory Hepola (@CoryHepolaCSN) <a href="https://twitter.com/CoryHepolaCSN/statuses/409760562164531200">December 8, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Obviously he's half-kidding, as the Redskins are down 38-7 at the half.

8. wadero

wadero Member

I say give Bruce Mathews a interview

9. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

I'd stop following the Texans if they brought in Shanny or anyone ever associated with him.

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Ray Horton the DC for Cleveland is currently shutting out the Patriots. Bob McNair has to be taking notice of that.

11. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Horton would be awesome so long we get a great OC. His defenses are hard nosed and don't give up no matter the situation. Look how hard he has them play with how terrible that offense is. You'd typically see what we're seeing here, with the defense giving up due to the offenses inabilities. Yet he gets those guys fired up for every play.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

They better not hire Shanahan.

13. solid

solid Contributing Member

If McNair and Smith make the right decision it will be an accident.

1 person likes this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Texans&amp;src=hash">#Texans</a> will NOT pursue Mike Shanahan if he's fired from Redskins, <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL">@McClain_on_NFL</a> reports. <a href="http://t.co/iDtuuHuQ7Y">http://t.co/iDtuuHuQ7Y</a></p>&mdash; Nick Mathews (@Nick_Mathews) <a href="https://twitter.com/Nick_Mathews/statuses/409823939477532672">December 8, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I have seen so many lists and stories around the country about who the Texans are considering as Gary Kubiak’s replacement, and you can rule out a couple of prominent former and current coaches being mentioned.

The Texans will not try to hire ESPN analyst Jon Gruden and they won’t be pursuing Washington Redskins coach Mike Shanahan, even if he does get fired.

Among the candidates I know the Texans are interested in are former Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith, Stanford coach David Shaw and San Diego offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt.

There will be many others they evaluate, including some who’ll be interviewed.

Just like McNair did in 2006 when he hired Kubiak, who was Denver’s offensive coordinator, he’ll use Jed Hughes’ search firm. Hughes works for Korn/Ferry International.

McNair, general manager Rick Smith and vice chairman Cal McNair will be involved in the interview process.

Reports persist that McNair is interested in Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin, who doesn’t fit his criteria. Some seem to think because Sumlin and Smith played at Purdue – but not together – and are friends that the Texans will try to hire him.

The only way they’d pursue Sumlin or another college head coach without NFL experience or current coordinators in the league is if McNair can’t find a suitable candidate who fits his criteria.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

I think McNair would be more inclined to hire a much less expensive and calmer coach, somebody like Lovie Smith. - Peter King (in reference to Shanahan)

16. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

No Shanahan or Sumlin!

17. solid

solid Contributing Member

Becoming more evident by the minute.

18. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

Agreed. I'm on the Lovie or Shaw bandwagon.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The Texans third head coach will be???

Better than the first two.

DD

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Spencer Tillman:

There's this impression out there that Gary is too loyal (to older players-guys past their prime, he sticks with them). 2) Not being able to adapt fast enough in situations. They were operating at a slower level. Those are two critical points.

Jon Gruden - he's not coming out of TV. Too comfortable for him right now. I verified that today.

Ken Whisenhunt - Led AZ to the Super Bowl. He's a civil engineer(that's his background) and can develop QBs. Rivers had his worst year last year but Whisenhunt part of that evolution process, getting him back to that level that's consistent with elite QB play.

David Shaw - not ready to make that leap. Qualified but Bob wanted a guy with NFL experience. Shaw too young for that right now.

Shanahan - All kinds of problems.