1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans #1 Draft Pick Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Brando2101, Feb 7, 2014.

?

What should the Texans do with the #1 Pick?

1. Trade it Away

14.5%
  2. Draft Blake Bortles, QB, UCF

1.2%
  3. Draft Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M

0.6%
  4. Draft Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville

27.5%
  5. Draft Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina

30.1%
  6. Draft Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn

1.0%
  7. Draft Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M

25.1%
  1. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Very well said

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

When I heard that I wanted to call in and ask if they would quit if they did select Clowney. The way they said "write it in stone" they will select a QB with the first pick according to their sources. :rolleyes:

Their sources may feel that way right now, but just like Lance Zierlein they may change their thoughts after breaking down the game tape.

3. Raven

Raven Member

Clowney's motor, and Manziel's reputation, will probably scare the Texans away, which means it's going to be either Bortles or Bridgewater.

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

I am trending Bridgewater, but not certain. Didn't vote yet. I want to see the results of the combine first.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

6. Remii

Remii Member

What makes you think Clowney has motor issues...??? Corner Barwin had 3 sacs in two out of his 3 years here in Houston and not one Texans fan every questioned his motor.

7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I really want JFF but I would love clowney also that's no knock on teddy b it's just I just don't see how the organization is going to sell a teddy or bortles pick.

8. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Mario had like 14 sacks and everyone questioned his motor...

So if Clowney didn't have dedication/motor issues doesn't that make his huge drop in performance even more alarming?

9. Remii

Remii Member

I forgot about that. Texans fans question Mario's motor and Clowney's motor but never questioned Barwin's motor.... Hmmmmmmm... Interesting.

10. Remii

Remii Member

And to answer your question... Clowney still had a good season despite his low sac #'s and that's with a lot of teams he faced going away from him and game planing around him which is impressive.

My concern about Clowney is how he will fit in Romeo's defense.

11. Raven

Raven Member

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If sacks were the only way of judging players, sure. Clowney wasn't rushing the passer on most downs though and he was being double and triple teamed relentlessly yet he still pressured the QB as much as he did the season before. The motor issue is only brought up by people who haven't actually studied the film. Take Lance Z for example, he used to bring things like that up all the time, then he did the film study and realized it was bunk.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

For me, it's a toss up between Bridgewater and Barr.

14. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

Best case scenario at this point for me is to trade back and still be able to get one of Manziel, Clowney, or Bridgewater. Everyone wants to trade with Cleveland at #4 and I dont know if any of these guys would make it there if we traded back.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I can't think of any reason to want Barr when we already have Trevardo Williams. Barr is slightly more athletic, but they are basically the same super athletic raw speed rushers with no moves whatsoever.

I think if we traded back with Cleveland there's a chance that Clowney would be there, but if he was gone, it would kind of be a disaster. Then again, we'd likely get the 4, 26, and 35 picks from Cleveland, so we could recover by picking up the top rated OT, Nix, ASJ and a second round QB.

16. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

I know the mathe works out for the draft pick value chart for the trade you mention (#1 for #4, #26, and #35), but I wonder if Cleveland may not be willing to give up that much. Alternatively what if they offer you their 3rd round pick instead of their second? I still think thats a pretty good deal

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I probably do it anyway. The Texans have a lot of holes they could address with a really good draft. If they miss out on Clowney, their defense won't be as beastly as it could be, but if they spent enough picks they could make it pretty good.

18. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

The 1st pick is obviously big but having the first pick in the 2nd and 3rd rounds should yield very good players.

19. Remii

Remii Member

Cleveland has FINALLY got a GM who may know what he's doing so I seriously doubt he makes a trade up to the #1 spot.

20. Remii

Remii Member

Hopefully two starters...