1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans #1 Draft Pick Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Brando2101, Feb 7, 2014.

?

What should the Texans do with the #1 Pick?

1. Trade it Away

14.5%
  2. Draft Blake Bortles, QB, UCF

1.2%
  3. Draft Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M

0.6%
  4. Draft Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville

27.5%
  5. Draft Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina

30.1%
  6. Draft Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn

1.0%
  7. Draft Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M

25.1%
  1. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

If Clowney comes in and benches the house then runs a 4.4, I'm sure some plebs will be swayed.

2. TexasRedd

TexasRedd Member

Not sure if serious....

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. if you can get it. :)

3. would be awfully tempting.

2./1. Would consider but less certain

4. Win

Win Contributing Member

I highly doubt Manziel get's the Texans first pick. Even if he were worthy, most pro teams will not go with a local hero due to the complications (fan wise) out weighing any up side unless it's off the charts.

Bridgewater would be my personal choice at this time, but based on the Texans past draft history, I would not be surprised to see Clowney chosen or perhaps even more likely, a player we have spoken very little of thus far. Someone off the radar

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Personally, I can't see Cleveland trading up from #4 to #1. Four will get Bridgewater, Manziel or Bortles and you can still add a guaranteed starter of need at 24. There's not enough clear difference in QB's to make the cost worth it.

6. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

This seems extemely superficial compared to all of the analysis done on this board. The combine is helpful with the grit that helps uou work out the mid first round guys on. Not the number 1 pick. No one on this
    Board is going to change their mind and want to sign bridge bc he is 2 inches taller and has a big wingspan.

7. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

bridgewater/clowney.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It might seem superficial but if Bridgewater comes in shorter than listed with hands that are incredibly small for an NFL QB and his weight isn't right it would show that there is real legitimacy to the red flags about his frame. You don't draft a guy with those kinds of red flags with the number one pick.

When it comes to his height, it could be a problem because his delivery is partially sidearm meaning he'll have problems with passes being knocked down at the line.

When it comes to hand size, if he has less than 9 inch hands, he'll struggle to grip the ball properly which means his accuracy will always be prone to inconsistency like it was in college. For the most part his accuracy was pretty awesome, but every once in a while, he'd just completely miss on a pass. Now that happens to all young QB's, if it's just being young and messing up it's no problem because it's correctable, if it's because he's occasionally not getting a good grip on the ball then it's not correctable. Guys with tiny hands are always prone to random inaccuracy.

When it comes to his weight, it's obviously injury concerns. He'll be on the small side no matter what, but if he comes in at 6'1 and 195 lbs that's a major red flag.

9. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

are you going to stop making the stupid same post about "small hands" when they measure it at the combine and it ends up bigger than manziels hands?

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Jerry Rice ✔ @JerryRice
    Follow

If the @HoustonTexans were smart, they’d draft #JerryRicecake.
    1:27 PM - 10 Feb 2014

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Depends on what the measurement is. If they have small hands, I'll keep pointing out that they have small hands...I don't see why you have to get all upset about it.

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

i like that, also, we should trade our 3rd and 4th rounder for Richard Sherman and Earl Thomas. Problem solved.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

On the way to work this morning Nick Wright and John Lopez on 610...
    said with absolute certainty that there is no way the Texans are drafting Jadaveon Clowney. According to sources close to the organization, they said that the only position they will be looking to draft at 1.1 is quarterback. They seemed very adamant about this, saying that without a doubt, there is a 0% chance we take Clowney.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yup, sounds like 2006 all over again.

15. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

That's because that is what John Mcclain has been spouting for the last couple of weeks. John also said a couple of years ago that there was no way they could afford Jonathan Joseph and Daniel Manning with their cap situation, yet they did.

I'm sure they are leaning one way but I think it's silly to predict anything before the combine.

16. Ashes

Ashes Member

Lol, so Manziel's only pros are being cute and flashy? Couple that with the fact that apparently Teddy's only con turns into a pro, then damn. Who can argue with that comparison!

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The more I watch of Clowney, the more I realize the narrative of his demise this season was heavily-laden in hyperbole.</p>&mdash; Lance Zierlein (@LanceZierlein) <a href="https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein/statuses/433342719851646977">February 11, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>While I like Manziel and Greg Robinson quite a bit, Clowney definitely has the elite traits and skill-set that makes him best in the draft</p>&mdash; Lance Zierlein (@LanceZierlein) <a href="https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein/statuses/433342939889025026">February 11, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

#57 J.R., Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's nice that Lance Z finally got around to watching Clowney. I think pretty much anyone that actually watches the tape end up with the same conclusion, he's the best prospect in the draft.

19. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

People have to see him litterally lift OLineman off their stance and drive them back...Its not always about sacks...its about the disruption of the line. The ability to knife around a lineman and hit the RB in the back field is so hard at any level of football, and the fact that this kid does this on the regular is what is scary. This is why Clowney deserves all the hype b/c he is built like a monster.

I do have a question...

If the Texans had to do the expansion draft over again:
    1. Do the Texans select still select Carr???
    2. Do the Texans select Julius Peppers???​

History cant repeat itself if the Best available player gets passed up based off a need. Clowney at every level of pro football has been talked about the next big thing. No one else in college football has that distinction. The Texans cant over think this one. You have a chance to get the #1 prospect in football. There is a need for a QB, but there is a far greater need for talent. The Texans need an infusion of talent, and Clowney is a new piece to that puzzle.

20. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Since the addition of Julius Peppers to a 1-15 team, the Panthers finished no worse than 7-9 the entire time he was playing in Carolina. Went to the playoffs 3 times(One superbowl appearance, NFC championship game and one divisional game).