1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans #1 Draft Pick Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Brando2101, Feb 7, 2014.

?

What should the Texans do with the #1 Pick?

1. Trade it Away

14.5%
  2. Draft Blake Bortles, QB, UCF

1.2%
  3. Draft Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M

0.6%
  4. Draft Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville

27.5%
  5. Draft Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina

30.1%
  6. Draft Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn

1.0%
  7. Draft Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M

25.1%
  1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Trade away. Way too many holes.

2. Jay713

Jay713 Member

Good point. Someone do a poll after and compare the two, but I'll say this: if clowney runs a 4.4 like he claims, my vote stays with him.

3. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

How exactly will the combine change your mind? Finding bridgewaters 40 time and seeing him throw to open recievers isn't going to change anything. I see the importance with recovers and DBs I guess. Still not a track meet. It's football.

4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Good job getting the TB thread closed ya'll. I know it was just three bad apples, but still, it sucks. Can't you just remove all posts by those three guys? :p

Every year, the fanbase of the team that has the #1 pick starts this petition to "trade away the pick". But think about that idea. It's basically the biggest copout on the part of a fan. 1. How many times in the past decade or two has the #1 pick been traded? I can only think of the Manning Rivers swap. There's not a single instance of a trade down scenario that comes to mind. 2. It's a pie in the sky idea that you can just say no to any of the "consensus #1" picks and instead opt for 3 or 4 guys in the 5-40 range. That's just wishful thinking on the part of fans. What on earth makes you think Cleveland would do that trade with us? If we don't think there's a franchise QB out there, then other teams are liable to do the same.

In short, make a damn pick. There's no realistic trade back scenario possibility unless you want to pay pennies on the dollar for it (i.e. #1 for #4 and a second rounder this year; or, #1 for #4 and a first next year). The St. Louis Rams trade deal is not replicating itself anytime soon. People took notice on the Redskins' results this past year.

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

6. J Hard

J Hard Member

Teddy all the way.
    Pros..
    High football IQ.
    Has the height, can see over the LOS.
    Goes through reads, looks off Safeties beautifully.
    Off the charts accuracy.
    Strong arm.
    High character.
    Ran a pro style offense.
    Strong Pocket presence.
    Fearlessly stays in pocket and makes gutsy throws.
    Great mobility.
    Scrambles when necessary looking up field to make the correct impact play.
    Hurts you with his legs when necessary.
    Great, incredible human being. Isn't that the kind of players Bob McNair covets?

Cons..
    Not the biggest frame.
    But if you use common sense, then you'd know the human body fills out and becomes bigger and stronger naturally.
    Couple that with an NFL diet and rigorous workout routine and that one knock on Teddy will be easily fixable.

Manziel - cute, flashy player.
    But style will get him killed in the NFL.
    He's short and scrawny, takes WAY to many clean shots that will send him straight to the training table and/or IL.
    Lacks proper football IQ to read defenses and progress through his progressions.
    Holds on to the football far too long which commences the headless chicken rendition.
    Internal clock is far too short, so he gets happy feet taking off prematurely.
    Slight of build, CAN NOT take the clean hits he took in college.
    Doesn't know how to properly slide.
    Already has multiple injuries in College, will only worsen in Pros.

Anyone that thinks the pros outweigh his cons are laughably fooling themselves.

Teddy, Teddy, Teddy.

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Funny no one wants Bortles.

8. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

That's because bigTexx never voted.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well for example, if Bridgewater comes in measuring just over 6'1 rather than the 6'3 like some think, and he has under 9 inch hands as some think, and he comes in weighing around 200 lbs then all of those things will hurt his trade stock.

I don't think his 40 time will change much one way or the other, but if he ran under 4.8 it could hurt him a bit.

On the other hand, if he comes in measuring a full 6'3 with over 9 inch hands around 220 or more with a 40 time around 4.6, well that would do just wonders for his trade stock.

Also, if Clowney comes in and just murders the combine running a 4.4 40 and tears up all the other events, his trade stock will be through the roof.

You'll see, the combine almost certainly will change people's opinions, it almost always does, especially when there is no dominant QB in the draft like this year.

10. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

this is the 2nd time ive seen you say this... but no one has corrected you.. bobby kind of did but not really..

the word youre looking for is moot... a moot point..

11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Thank you.

12. YoMing

YoMing Member

Im kind of rooting for the Texans to "Keep Manziel in Texas."

Hands down one of the most athletic QB to ever come out of college.

Plus he will make the Texans a waaaaaay more exciting team than Bridgewater IMO, but I wont be upset if we go with Bridgewater either. I feel Clowney is no longer in the picture for first overall. QB or bust.

1 person likes this.
  13. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tim Flanders

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Manziel, with no obvious #1, go with what makes the team most interesting to watch

15. Remii

Remii Member

I don't believe combine numbers out weigh performance on the field. Of course teams will draft players because of combine numbers, physical makeup, etc. regardless of their game tape but I can't recall a team trading up to the #1 spot because of a great combine and or pro day by a player.

I believe a team hasn't traded out of the #1 spot since around 2001. And I think it's because most teams don't want to give up the amount of draft picks that may be asked for because draft picks are valuable in the NFL...

And if the Texans are thinking about trading the pick. Johnny is the ONLY player being spoken of as a player a team has been rumored to trade to the #1 spot for (Cleveland), but O'Brien has been rumored to say he's not sold on him... Those are strange smoke signals for a team that wants to trade because Cleveland can trade with St Louis if they know the Texans aren't drafting Johnny.

I think the Texans are waiting to see what Clowney does at the combine and interviews. And when I say the Texans I mean McNair... Smith and O'Brien may not even have a choice.

16. Remii

Remii Member

I guess Eli would be the last #1 trade... But he forced the trade so those were different circumstances.

17. IgotNext

IgotNext Member

Clowney is a freak of an athlete.

Teddy is good but I think the people that like him is because he is the best QB in the draft( or thought to be) but in another draft with an Andrew luck, newton, Griffin, Bradford, he would be second tier.

I don't want to reach with this pick and imo I think any QB in this draft is a reach with the 1st pick.

I know we have a QB issue but let's be smart about it.... I'm hoping we pick up or trade for a good QB like the Chiefs did before the draft. Then we could be free to pick up so much more. That's just hopeful wishing( I know)

18. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I think most would be willing to trade down, but everyone has a different price. What's your minimum you would accept if we were dealing with Cleveland?

1. 4th and 35th
    2. 4th and 26th
    3. 4th, 26th, and 35th
    4. 4th, 26th, 35th, and a 1st next year?

19. MONON

MONON Member

Right now, I'll say trade it. I don't see any qb worth a #1 & we need more talent overall. Ask me again after the combine.

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

All of the above. :grin:

Option #3 seems fair to both sides. That would give the Texans 4 picks in the first two rounds, their #2 and the three from the trade.