1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans #1 Draft Pick Thread (3.0)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., May 2, 2014.

?

Number one pick?

Poll closed May 8, 2014.
  1. Teddy Bridgewater

4.3%
  2. Jadeveon Clowney

40.6%
  3. Khalil Mack

4.3%
  4. Johnny Manziel

24.2%
  5. Trade the pick(minimum of: swap of 2014 1st rd picks; future 1st; 2014 2nd rd pick)

25.8%
  6. Still undecided

0.8%
  1. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

I wouldn't necessarily say he's far and away the best player though. Which is why I'm in support of a trade down if you can get significant pieces. However, if they do stick at #1, I'd pick Clowney myself.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough, I would. IMO Clowney is the best player in this draft by a considerable margin and would have been the best player in last year's draft and would have been the best player in next year's draft. The only guys even close to him in this class are offensive tackles. Mack is somewhere up there too, but clearly a step down talent-wise.

3. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

are you actively trying to look r****ded or is that just how you really are lol

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Where's the disconnect? Isn't that exactly what you just said?

5. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

Its Bobby, what else to expect

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Clowney is on the Tonight show, he says he loves his momma. Boom first pick.

7. Raven

Raven Member

What's funny is that no matter who the Texans pick, we won't know if they plan to keep him until the other top teams make their selection. As long as Manziel/Bortles/Mack are on the board, there's always a chance the Texans trade Clowney for one of those players if the other team is willing to cough up enough assets.

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

This only remains in play if the texans take Clowney. Ain't nobody gonna give up multiple picks for Manziel, Bortles, or Mack.

9. Remii

Remii Member

Too bad we have to depend on J.J. to act like his mama and "teach" him how to have a good work ethic.

J.J. is going to have to get paid to sack the quarterback, stop the run, and babysit...

10. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

Mack possibly

but a executive would be down right moronic/drunk to trade up for Manziel or Bortles

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's almost no chance of a trade happening after the pick is made, no matter who they pick. Either a trade is done before we select, or we stick with who we get.

12. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

Saw Watt at the dynamo game tonight. He said the Texans will be taking Clowney number 1 if they keep the pick. For what it's worth.

[​IMG]

13. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

crazy that there hasnt been any leaks

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well there might have been some earlier today because pretty much everyone is saying "Clowney or trade down" or some variant of that. IMO that's the leak. No one can predict if there is some GM out there who wants to go full r****d and give the Texans an RG3 type package for the first pick, but it's pretty clear what will happen if that doesn't.

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

That seems fake, but hilarious. Would have been in such poor taste considering the knocks on him.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Clowney it is. Keep it, pick him, find a way to make it work.

{And hopefully McClain eats the paper like he supposedly? said he would.}

#716 J.R., May 8, 2014
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
  17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm okay with whatever they do. Just not too keen on someone like Bortles or probably Robinson or Matthews at number one.

Can't wait.

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>What are <a class="hashtag" action="hash" title="#Texans">#Texans</a> asking for to trade No. 1? I’ve heard what @<a href="https://twitter.com/JayGlazer">JayGlazer</a> &amp; @<a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL">McClain_on_NFL</a> have: A swap of 1s and 2 additional 1s. RGIII level</p>&mdash; Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) <a href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/464371019575476224" data-datetime="2014-05-00T11:47:33+00:00">May 0, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>What does that asking price mean for <a class="hashtag" action="hash" title="#Texans">#Texans</a>? They are aiming high. And that’s how good they think Clowney is, that’s what he’s worth.</p>&mdash; Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) <a href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/464371362644389888" data-datetime="2014-05-00T11:48:55+00:00">May 0, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. Indaface

Indaface Member

Typical BS by the team to me. If they really feel he's that good they wouldn't consider trading him. Seeing as how they seemingly have been shopping the pick they obviously don't see him at that level. Just trying to posture for a deal. If they can't get 2 #1's and a #2 I say no dice and just roll with Clowney.

My best case scenario is they trade with Atlanta who selects Mack at 6, they get Atl's 2 this year and 1 next year. Then Bridgewater slips to them at 2.1 and with Atl's second round pick they take a RT.

Kill 3 birds with one stone, I would even be ok with them dealing Atl's 1 next year to get back in the early second and take a MLB or DT if there's one they really like.

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

no trade unless we are getting at least a swap and two additional 1sts back