1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans #1 Draft Pick Thread (3.0)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., May 2, 2014.

?

Number one pick?

Poll closed May 8, 2014.
  1. Teddy Bridgewater

4.3%
  2. Jadeveon Clowney

40.6%
  3. Khalil Mack

4.3%
  4. Johnny Manziel

24.2%
  5. Trade the pick(minimum of: swap of 2014 1st rd picks; future 1st; 2014 2nd rd pick)

25.8%
  6. Still undecided

0.8%
  1. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>ESPN's Adam Schefter on <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Texans&amp;src=hash">#Texans</a> at No. 1 overall: &quot;I do not believe Khalil Mack can be dismissed from the conversation at the No. 1 pick.&quot;</p>&mdash; Evan Silva (@evansilva) <a href="https://twitter.com/evansilva/statuses/462293223021367300">May 2, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I selected trade down. If they can get that much for Clowney I would take it, but don't think they'll get that much.

4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

If the Texans are going to give up the first pick. The other team better be willing to give them there whole draft and next years 1 and 2nd round pick.

5. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Why? That's incredibly stupid. There's no Andrew Luck in this draft, why would anyone give up more than 2 1st's and a 2nd?

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If they want it, they pay for it. The real question would then be, why would we think the Texans would trade down?

7. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Tells you something when this "once in a generation" prospect isn't garnering as many assets as one would think.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>ESPN's Chris Mortensen on <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Texans&amp;src=hash">#Texans</a> at No. 1: &quot;There's some talk in league circles that Khalil Mack has a lot of attraction to Romeo Crennel.&quot;</p>&mdash; Evan Silva (@evansilva) <a href="https://twitter.com/evansilva/statuses/462307479930425345">May 2, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's interesting but it sounds very similar to all of the late talk about how the Colts might be more interested in RG3 than Andrew Luck.

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Because he's not a QB.

11. tmacfor35

Look, a team that is in the 6th position in the draft order will not have the luxury of drafting the elite prospects like Mack or Clowney. If a team like Atlanta sees Clowney as a once in a generational talent like some of the scouts see him, then they will cough up what they have too. 6th to 1 is a huge change.

That basically will include 2 first, 2 seconds and a few sprinkled 3rd/4's. That is hoping that any one of these teams have fallen in love with Clowney, and will give up a ton of picks for a guy they see as a future HOF.

I will suspect that the Texans have a sizeable offer from Atlanta(Any reason why Atlanta would spend so much time with Clowney when they are sitting at 6th in the draft order? Obviously they are very intrigued with the idea of trading for him)and want a little bit extra.

Rick Smith's speech yesterday basically said, we are taking Clowney number one, so give me what you want to take him off my hands. I think the Texans will take Clowney number one, and hope and pray that Mack lands at number 6. If he gets to number 6, the Texans will call Atlanta up and say, I want minimum Mack, this years 2, and next years 1,2 and Clowney is yours.

The Texans get what they want, with picks etc and the player who seems like the better football player overall(Mack can drop off in coverage and fly around as a mike if he had too).

12. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I voted for Clowny the first 2 polls but now I would rather trade down. I would not be upset if we drafted him though.

A poll on draft day and today feels really excessive. Let's let this thread move to and past draft day.

It's also VERY VERY likely we will know before draft day who they are taking. Mario was announced a few days before.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Rams could seriously take Manziel at 2:

With just six days left until the NFL Draft gets underway, there really has been no clear cut indication as to where Heisman winner Johnny Manziel will end up, other than the word that he will not make it out of the top 10. The team with the number two pick, the St. Louis Rams, could be one of the teams to pull the trigger on bringing in arguably the most marketable player of all time, and Chris Mortensen recently pointed out on ESPN that their interest in Johnny Football is indeed legitimate.

“I believe their interest is serious,” Mortensen said. “There are people who believe they could take him at No. 2.”

As time has gone on, there have been more and more questions surrounding the quarterback position in St. Louis, and potentially moving on from Sam Bradford and his $14 million salary while installing Manziel as the starter would save the team a lot of money as well as create a new type of buzz around the organization.

Also, Jeff Fisher is not stranger to working with a dynamic quarterback. He drafted Vince Young out of Texas and performed some good work with him under center leading his offense. So while anyone thinks that Manziel wouldn’t fit the offensive style that Fisher has in place in St. Louis, they might want to think again.

http://fansided.com/2014/05/02/nfl-draft-rumors-st-louis-rams-interest-johnny-manziel-serious/#!HjOBK

14. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

I selected trade down, but I am hoping for Mack.

15. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

AKA St. Louis is making people think they like Manziel to up the ante on trade offers from a team like Cleveland.

16. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

And?

So you think if people thought they had a chance for trading to obtain Reggie White or Bruce Smith they'd be like, "nah, he's not a Dan Marino".

Please.

17. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I think Rick Smith's "hit a home run" quote was about trading down and still getting Mack.

18. tmacfor35

I think so too.

19. bluecouchstudio

If Clowney was 1st on their Draft Board, they would just draft him. However, if they think they might be able to trade down a few spots and still get their guy along and/or multiple picks instead, then they might offer to trade.

Clowney does not fit in the Texans' defense. His college HC, the legendary Steve Spurrier, called Clowney's work ethic "ok". That's coach-speak for "he is a bit lazy." He is a physical specimen but not what the Texans need.

O'Brien is a QB coach. He loves great QBs. If anyone can mold a talented QB into a NFL legend, he is the one to do it. QB is the Texans' biggest need. It is the most important position in football. Rick Smith's job is on the line. He needs a difference-maker, as he said yesterday, and the Texans need a boost. McNair is a fan of a Texas legend who fits that mold.

If they cannot trade the #1 pick (they won't), the Texans will draft Johnny Manziel. Fan or hater, I recommend everyone prepare for Manziel Mania in Houston.

20. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Clowney but if you can trade down and get Mack/Watkins and then bridgewater at 2.1 plus an extra 2nd rounder and another first rounder from the trade how could you be disappointed with that haul!