1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans #1 Draft Pick Thread (2.0)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 3, 2014.

?

What should the Texans do with the #1 Pick?

Poll closed May 1, 2014.
  1. Anthony Barr

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Blake Bortles

0.3%
  3. Teddy Bridgewater

9.4%
  4. Jadeveon Clowney

56.8%
  5. Khalil Mack

1.9%
  6. Johnny Manziel

26.6%
  7. Jake Matthews

1.6%
  8. Greg Robinson

1.0%
  9. Sammy Watkins

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Undecided

2.3%
  1. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Texans&amp;src=hash">#Texans</a>' Cal McNair said organization is &quot;enjoying&quot; evaluation process for No. 1 pick. Still early. Definitely no decision made. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23NFL&amp;src=hash">#NFL</a></p>&mdash; Brian T. Smith (@ChronBrianSmith) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChronBrianSmith/statuses/452242819319472128">April 5, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Bill O'Brien (via NFLN): &quot;I don’t think u say, 'We’re going to take 2 or 3 years to get back to playoffs. You don’t have that kind of time&quot;</p>&mdash; Manish Mehta (@MMehtaNYDN) <a href="https://twitter.com/MMehtaNYDN/statuses/452243908513525760">April 5, 2014</a></blockquote>

2. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

I think the qb starter will be between Keenum and Fitzpatick unless the rookie really really shows out

Having Clowney with Watt gives us a strong front down lineman set and should allow our backers to roam.

An improved pass rush should help our secondary too

Savage is BOB's type.

and has a much stronger arm than Blake Bortles

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Same as before.

Manziel / Clowney

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It would be flat out irresponsible to pass up a sure-fire star at one of the most important positions like Clowney for a risky QB like Manziel/Bortles/Bridgewater.

5. Remii

Remii Member

So you want the Texans to draft Clowney so he can take on double teams to free up the LB's...??? That's a waste of a #1 pick.

What do you mean "sure-fire star." Clowney only had ONE good year in college and that was the year after last. Drafting a player who's living off of YouTube hype from over a year ago doesn't sound responsible at all...

6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's not a given that we draft any of those QB's if we trade down.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure anyone will offer anything worth trading down for, it's probably best to just pick the best player in the draft and calling it a day unless someone makes a crazy offer with 2 first round picks.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I know Clowney says he can play any defensive position. My question is can he start at any position from day one or will it take time for him to get used to that position?
    Mack will be ready from day one because he is known to be flexible. This is what we are looking for on this team. Someone who will come in and takeover their position.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not Clowney saying it, BOB among many others have said it. Every rookie will take time adjusting to the NFL, which is why you take the most disruptive one...Clowney.

Mack doesn't have the flexibility that Clowney does, he's just a pure OLB and that's all he can be. Clowney can be either a pass rushing OLB or a DE, which he'd be both at different times because like BOB said, they are going to run a multiple front scheme. Hell he might even get slotted as a DT at times. The ONLY thing Mack brings that Clowney doesn't is superior coverage ability but he doesn't have the pass rushing ability or the run stopping ability of Clowney and Mack would never justify a double team at the NFL level.....ever.

10. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

With the new structure of rookie contracts being basically set, will we see any contract discussions/possible agreement before the draft? Like what we saw with Mario Williams?

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's not really a need for them anymore, but it could happen.

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Mack also brings more run protection as well(185 career solo tackles).
    Truth be told, Clowney would be my third choice as #1 pick. Mack is my choice now, but i have been thinking about "raising the Barr" so to speak.

13. Remii

Remii Member

Mack also makes more plays in the backfield which is very important. But I wouldn't draft him #1 (or Clowney)... But drafting Barr with the #1 pick is flat out crazy. That dude will probably be available in the back of the 1st round.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure he had a lot of tackles against the BS schools he faced but he's not very good against the run unless you are only talking about chasing people down. Mack gets swallowed up by blocks way too often even if it is a TE on him one on one. There's a reason teams weren't even running to Clowney's side of the field very often this season. Mack is nothing compared to Clowney against the run or rushing the passer.....but you wouldn't expect him to be, they aren't the same kind of player at all. You would draft Mack hoping that he could become a sort of Clay Matthews type one day, you would draft Clowney looking for a sort of Julius Peppers/Lawrence Taylor hybrid.

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Why?:confused: He was just as effective as either of the other two. Or more. In two seasons.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Jadeveon Clowney: 'I’ve been playing off talent for a long time. If somebody can just teach me the game the way it’s supposed to be ...</p>&mdash; Brian T. Smith (@ChronBrianSmith) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChronBrianSmith/statuses/452477762775695360">April 5, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>... played, there’s no telling how great I can be at this game.&quot;</p>&mdash; Brian T. Smith (@ChronBrianSmith) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChronBrianSmith/statuses/452477847815192576">April 5, 2014</a></blockquote>

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ha! Barr is one of the rawest defensive players in the draft and his athleticism is nowhere near at the level of Mack or Clowney. I think you are taking too much away from college stats when the film tells more of the story about how players translate to the NFL.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Which is why pairing him with JJ Watt is the best possible thing that could happen both for him and for the Texans.

19. Raven

Raven Member

It's going to be either Manziel or Clowney. B Ob probably has the final say, but the pressure to go for a home run is going to be immense, and I just don't see the Texans drafting Bortles number one overall. Could be wrong, though.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Again, i say, two seasons.
    You know what? You guys think i'm crazy anyway, so today i am going to do something crazy and go back to Barr as my top pick. Putting Mack in second and Clowney at third. I let all that pro day nonsense throw me off track, but i'm back.