1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans #1 Draft Pick Thread (2.0)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 3, 2014.

?

What should the Texans do with the #1 Pick?

Poll closed May 1, 2014.
  1. Anthony Barr

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Blake Bortles

0.3%
  3. Teddy Bridgewater

9.4%
  4. Jadeveon Clowney

56.8%
  5. Khalil Mack

1.9%
  6. Johnny Manziel

26.6%
  7. Jake Matthews

1.6%
  8. Greg Robinson

1.0%
  9. Sammy Watkins

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Undecided

2.3%
  1. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I don't get why you keep questioning his talent? He has arm strength (not as much as vick, but from what scouts say, one of the stronger ones in this draft). I would say he is every bit as athletic (in my mind, refferring to illusiveness) as Vick or RGIII, just does not have the straight away speed.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, that's a knock on Manziel as well, if you look back, he's pretty awful at reading defenses. Often he'll miss one of his guys being wide open and scramble when it would have been a TD if he'd have properly read the defense and thrown the ball.

As to being more accurate than Cunningham, physically Cunningham was probably the most accurate passer the league has ever seen, he could hit a dime with a football from 60 yards, but that didn't translate to a very high completion percentage.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not questioning his talent to point out that he doesn't have the arm or athleticism of a Cunningham or Vick. He simply doesn't. He's basically a more reckless and wild version of Case Keenum before the knee injury.

4. Fantasma Negro

Me too I love watching ppl trip out. This is my entertainment during my boring ass work day. Next week I'm pro Bortles. #teamMinivan LoL

5. Bogey

Completely false!!

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Actually it's pretty spot on. I mean sure Keenum was always a better passer than Manziel, and Manziel was probably still a bit quicker even before Keenum's knee injury, but it was close.

7. Bogey

I don't think Keenum was always a better passer. So if Keenum didn't have a knee injury, people would have been pushing him as a 1st round qb?

8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

How far would Manziel (or any top QB prospect) have to fall before you trade up?

Doesn't matter to me what they do, just don't F it up. Clowney has already been tagged with a major flaw. He could still ball, there's just a question mark.

Franchise has had #1 pick 3x and there's never been a consensus player.. smh. We're 0.5/2 (Mario gets half credit), batting average .250

9. Fantasma Negro

They should draft Bortles and then let Keenum start the season

1 person likes this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, he went to UH. If he went to A&M then yeah, there would have been a lot of hype behind him and people calling for him to go in the first round. Hype can make up for a lot. Of course, he isn't reckless and wild, so there would be less hype because there is less flash, however he'd have been a Heisman winner if he went to a bigger school.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't trade up for a QB in this class. This QB class is deep and you can get a QB in the second that is just as good as those you can draft at the top of the first.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I doubt Keenum beats out Fitz in camp. Fitz will be the starter this season no matter who we draft.

13. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

That is an approach I have been saying in another post. Just get a QB in our first pick in the second round. It is a gambling pick for QB anyway, why do we waste our first pick for a unsure QB, then we have pay him lots of money.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Nah, if you're good, you're good. That's how you earn hype. RG3 got the NFL hype at Baylor because he was an NFL talent. Nobody is projecting Bryce Petty #2 despite a solid year from Baylor and gaudy stats.

Bortles didn't go anywhere special, he's being hyped as a #1 pick.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

1. Baylor is in the Big 12.....which isn't at all comparable to CUSA
    2. Petty didn't come out this year but had he, then he'd be in the conversation
    3. Bortles is an exception caused by an exceptionally small (in stature) draft class with no top tier talent at all.

16. Fantasma Negro

It might be his to loose. I believe he can beat out FitzPatrick. Keenums problem is he freezes up when he sees a blitz, improved offensive line production should help fix that.

17. Remii

Remii Member

If this is true... He's good as gone.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not that he freezes up, it's that you have to give him more than 2 seconds before he's about to get hit in order for him to do anything. The line last year was god awful.

19. Fantasma Negro

What did you expect we had the black raggedy andygetting him killed with his pathetic pass protection. Why is he still on this team btw?

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I fully expect for him to be a backup, no way they trot him back out there this year