1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans #1 Draft Pick Thread (2.0)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 3, 2014.

?

What should the Texans do with the #1 Pick?

Poll closed May 1, 2014.
  1. Anthony Barr

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Blake Bortles

0.3%
  3. Teddy Bridgewater

9.4%
  4. Jadeveon Clowney

56.8%
  5. Khalil Mack

1.9%
  6. Johnny Manziel

26.6%
  7. Jake Matthews

1.6%
  8. Greg Robinson

1.0%
  9. Sammy Watkins

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Undecided

2.3%
  1. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

In fairness, he was incredible in college. Not always cut and dry as to what will translate to the pros or not.

2. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

Its getting to the point of bizarre. I think Johnny is a solid prospect, second rounder for sure. But when I hear this talk of "era changing" and garbage like that you'd swear he had the mind of Andrew Luck with the body of Cam Newton

These Aggies are getting ridiculous on this board

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well yeah, I'll never take away from what he did in college, he was an amazing college QB, he just doesn't project to the NFL the same as tons of other great college QB's. Manziel isn't a traditional QB, and if he plays his style of QB in the NFL, he'll end up in the hospital over and over again just like Vick before him.

4. Bogey

That's what you project, the thing is, you don't know. My biggest knock on him is that he will get injured, like RGIII. I still think his ceiling is very high. Even more experienced scouts are saying he's different than almost anyone they have scouted.

5. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

I have seen this said a lot as well.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well he is different than everyone else, most everyone else is trying to be an NFL style QB, JFF isn't capable of that, he can only be himself which IMO isn't someone who will survive long in the NFL unless there is an amazing line in front of him and an amazing receiver corps to get the jump ball passes when he gets in trouble and throws it up for grabs. He'll never be a traditional pocket QB and he doesn't have the size to survive being a running QB. Everything could fall into place for him, but most likely it won't.

7. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

Why not? He has the arm talent to make all NFL throws.

8. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

And I realize it takes more than arm talent but why are you so certain that he will never be a traditional pocket QB?

1 person likes this.
  9. Fantasma Negro

Yes I am an aggie but name another player like Manziel. Name another player of his race, with his skills and brash bravado. He partied all summer long banging sluts and sleeping at qb camps. Everyone said he was a one hit wonder and what did he do? 464 and 5tds againt Bama, 446 5tds in an instant classic against Mississppi State, 454 4 tds in a battle against the evental champs Auburn. Name another white qb from a rich home with both his biological parents that works as hard as he does. Jadaveon Clowney is more entitled than he is. The way I see it we've tried the 01 ravens formula and it didn't work, you cant win games in spite of your offense any more no matter how good JJ Watt is. Johnny Manziel is an era changing qb. He will end the ineptitude era here in Houston

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, he has the arm for it, but it would go against everything that he knows. He's a QB that takes a quick check down field before scrambling. I doubt you could keep him in the pocket. Maybe his first major injury would change that, but instincts are hard to change.

Heh. Of his race? WTF does that have to do with anything? He's just the next coming of Micheal Vick that is less athletic and while Manziel has pretty good arm strength, it's not the cannon that Vick had/has. Before Vick it was Randall Cunningham that was going to be an "era changing QB"....it never happens though.

11. MrVengeance

MrVengeance Member

Even if he had the size or not. His decision making and panicking at first sign of pressure doesn't warrants him to be top 20 overall talent IMHO.

Just need to go back and review some of his tapes again and not think about his pro day. There are players who ball out on scripted workouts, but game tape shows something else.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not that he panics so much as he's just always looking for an excuse to scramble. Randall Cunningham was the same way and he has a LOT more natural talent than Manziel when it came to his legs AND his arm. That trait ruined one of the most naturally gifted passers the league has ever seen.

13. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Go look at Manziel's LSU performances. I don't know how people can be so sure of his NFL success when you see so many tendencies that not only won't work, but also could be disastrous.

14. MrVengeance

MrVengeance Member

Agree. Cunningham had way more Talent. I like Manziel, but not good enough to risk my first pick on him. I would be happy with whoever Texans select, but i'm crossing my fingers on a good trade down opportunity.

15. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

Just to play devils advocate here

16. Bogey

It's funny how he picked LSU a game where he apparently had a hard time even brushing his teeth that day because his thumb was so banged up he could not grip his toothbrush.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And you don't think he'll be banged up in the NFL? That's part of the problem, the kid is fragile and he plays recklessly.

18. Bogey

That injury occurred in the pocket. All QB's get injured, just funny he picked the game where it affected him the most.

19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Isn't Manziel more accurate? just asking
    Vic never learned reading defenses.

I think Johnny will be hurt early and often, but if he (or any top 5 OB prospect) falls late 1st round, want to trade up.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It doesn't really matter where it occurred. There's a long line of players like Manziel who ended up failing in the NFL because they couldn't stay healthy and most of them were more talented than Manziel is.