1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans #1 Draft Pick Thread (2.0)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 3, 2014.

?

What should the Texans do with the #1 Pick?

Poll closed May 1, 2014.
  1. Anthony Barr

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Blake Bortles

0.3%
  3. Teddy Bridgewater

9.4%
  4. Jadeveon Clowney

56.8%
  5. Khalil Mack

1.9%
  6. Johnny Manziel

26.6%
  7. Jake Matthews

1.6%
  8. Greg Robinson

1.0%
  9. Sammy Watkins

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Undecided

2.3%
  1. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

Robinson, Mack or Clowney - we are so deplete we need all 3 of them so take your pick at 1.1 but keep shoring up the O & D lines, then linebacker, Dbacks then Safety. We need BPA at each.

2. Remii

Remii Member

I think playing Clemson and UCF skewed those rankings. But the rankings are the rankings.

So you're saying 75% of the time Clowney wasn't double teamed (actually more than that because being chipped is a lot different than being doubled)... And he still only had 3 sacks and was weak against the run.... WoW...!!! That's even worst. Thanks for correcting me :)

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I wouldn't say you need Robinson. Yeah, we have a hole at RT, but you shouldn't need a first round pick, let alone #1, to fix it. If you have a hole at LT? Yes. RT? Eh, not so much.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Good information. When you are chipping or doubling a guy 25% of the time, that's probably north of 70% of passing downs easily, which is why people would say that he was "always doubled" because they are only talking about passing downs. Your data pretty much says what everyone has been saying for a long time, that he was doubled or chipped more often than anyone else, playing against better players than anyone else.

5. Remii

Remii Member

Considering the right side of the line was garbage and the left wasn't that great and the fact that our all world best offensive weapon Foster is "supposedly" healthy and we just added another running back who is good when he's healthy _ Robinson would be an excellent add.

The "physical freak" tag should probably go to either Robinson or Donald (or both) in this draft.

6. Raven

Raven Member

Agree 100%.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'd be interested to see numbers on Mack since he's in the conversation, obviously his SOS would be a joke, but I'd bet that the percentage of plays where he was doubled or chipped would be in the single digits as well

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Could someone tell me which one out of Clowney, Barr and Mack had the stronger SOS?

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Seriously? Clowney, obviously. It's not at all close either.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Thanks.

11. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's in the rough area of what I told Bobbythegreat, and he told me I was crazy, and he was double/triple teamed on every play, so I feel pretty damn good about what I said. I would have said never on running plays, and about 40% on passing plays. I also told Bobby he was chipped by a rb/te a whole lot more than a double by 2 linemen. So yeah, spot on. Often on running plays he was completely neutralized by only a RB or TE which was surprising to me since he was supposedly the greatest evah.

#631 Ottomaton, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  12. mhch720

mhch720 Member

He's a WR from Vanderbilt, projected to go in the 2nd round.

13. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Are you seriously advocating Barr for the 1st pick?

14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Clowney for sure but UCLA wasn't that far behind IMO. Nebraska, Arizona State, and USC were all ranked. Oregon was #3 when they played them and Stanford was in or around the Top 10 all season long.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Guess the Bucs are heavily considering taking Manziel at 7

16. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Much better.

[​IMG]

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I agree 100%.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Tim Hasselbeck on Teddy Bridgewater: &quot;Really good system QB in a West Coast offense.&quot; Compared TB to Alex Smith w/o Smith's running ability.</p>&mdash; Evan Silva (@evansilva) <a href="https://twitter.com/evansilva/statuses/459027210943201281">April 23, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23ESPN&amp;src=hash">#ESPN</a> draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr said Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater is going in the second round. Thinks <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Texans&amp;src=hash">#Texans</a> will take him there.</p>&mdash; D. Orlando Ledbetter (@AJCFalcons) <a href="https://twitter.com/AJCFalcons/statuses/459031837198004224">April 23, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>ESPN's Kiper on conference call said Bridgewater's stock has fallen, Bortles needs another yr &amp; Manziel brings energy, leadership, it factor</p>&mdash; Nate Ulrich (@NateUlrichABJ) <a href="https://twitter.com/NateUlrichABJ/statuses/459031664719429633">April 23, 2014</a></blockquote>

19. Cannonball

There are multiple pages in these threads where I can't see a single post.

20. Cannonball

I think my dream scenario at this point would be to draft Clowney #1, trade him to Atlanta for Mack (taken at #6) plus picks, get Bridgewater at #33 and somebody like Ra'shede Hageman at #37. That's an extreme longshot though.