1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans #1 Draft Pick Thread (2.0)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 3, 2014.

?

What should the Texans do with the #1 Pick?

Poll closed May 1, 2014.
  1. Anthony Barr

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Blake Bortles

0.3%
  3. Teddy Bridgewater

9.4%
  4. Jadeveon Clowney

56.8%
  5. Khalil Mack

1.9%
  6. Johnny Manziel

26.6%
  7. Jake Matthews

1.6%
  8. Greg Robinson

1.0%
  9. Sammy Watkins

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Undecided

2.3%
  1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I've been all over the place over the last 3 months, but I think I'm going with Clowney. BPA.

Only reason I still have my doubts is that it feels really weird to have the 2 best players on your team both on the D line.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

That's it, CF. Let the Clowney wash over you...

[​IMG]

3. Remii

Remii Member

Pretending...??? Well than Mr Google, how many sacks did Clowney have his freshmen year...? I count 8 sacks and 12 tackles for a loss as a freshman, 13 sacks and 23 tackles for a loss as a sophomore, and 3 sacks and 11 tackles for a loss as a junior.. That's one good year sandwiched by two mediocre years...

Trent Murphy had 51 tackles for a loss, 31 sacks, 2 ints, and 2 defensive TD's in the past 3 years in comparison to Clowney... And he had 15 sacks and 23 tackles for a loss this past season. He's 6-5 250lbs and he's a legitimate OLB so no need to worry about him having to play standing up and having to drop back in coverage. This is not the draft to fall in love with a pass rusher for the #1 overall pick because of "consensus media hype" when there are players(s) like Murphy that will be floating around in the 2nd and 3rd...

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Where's Carr?!!?

Invalid poll

5. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Did the colts feel weird about having Mathis and Freeny on their line? Hell to the no!

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. Raven

Raven Member

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

It depends on how/if we use our current cap space. We cut Daniels. We cut Manning. We let Antonio go. We traded Schaub. Our FA signings thus far haven't been big contracts. We're $13.7 M under the cap. We're not so strapped at the moment that we wouldn't be able to sign draft picks.

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Robert Mathis was a 5th rounder out of Alabama A&M.

There's no comparison as they were both not selected in the first round. Now Dwight Freeney would be the perfect example of JJ Watt, but Mathis was not ever near being projected as the first overall pick.

Plus they had a HOFer by the name of Peyton Manning leading the offense. I'm sure that helped win them a SB as well.

10. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Mathis and Freeney were great, but at no time were they the best 2 players on the Colts. There was a guy named Manning playing for them. Harrison, too.

In fact, when Manning went down and they were left with Freeney and Mathis, they went 2-14. That's what the Texans are without a good QB.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Interesting way to compare QBs (at least to me), nine different categories highlighted by color compared to others <a href="http://t.co/2eCkD9vgJf">pic.twitter.com/2eCkD9vgJf</a></p>&mdash; Greg Peshek (@NU_Gap) <a href="https://twitter.com/NU_Gap/statuses/451975682478727168">April 4, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/keitthpunter">@keitthpunter</a> Each row is a different stat, the more green you have - the better your stats are compared to the other QBs</p>&mdash; Greg Peshek (@NU_Gap) <a href="https://twitter.com/NU_Gap/statuses/451980102352392192">April 4, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/MikeKrupka">@MikeKrupka</a> Red = Difficulty, Green = Decision making, Blue = Situational, I use it for my QB aggregate score</p>&mdash; Greg Peshek (@NU_Gap) <a href="https://twitter.com/NU_Gap/statuses/451981114014310400">April 4, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/MikeKrupka">@MikeKrupka</a> That's just excel color scale, each row is a gradient from green (highest stat) to red (lowest stat)</p>&mdash; Greg Peshek (@NU_Gap) <a href="https://twitter.com/NU_Gap/statuses/451982236644954112">April 4, 2014</a></blockquote>

12. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

A few months ago I was like: CLOWNEY, then I was like: naw BRIDGEWATER, now I'm like: CLOWNEY again... Glad that I'm not the person responsible for making the pick. But if I were, I'm almost positive that I'd pick Clowney.

13. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I'm for Clowney as well with the hope that Bridgewater falls to 20ish and the Texans trade up to get him. Clowney + Brigdewater would take care of a lot of issues on this team.

14. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I'm still on the Manziel bandwagon. I think he will be something special in this league and not the kind of player you want to pass on, esp at the qb position.

Would not mind trade down or even Clowney.

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I don’t see how that’d be possible. I really think all four (including Carr) could be off the board by pick 12.

I count at least seven teams (other than the Texans) that could pull the trigger on a QB in round 1 (JAX, CLE -2, TB, MIN, BUF, TEN, NYJ) and then two more (OAK, ARZ) that are possibilities. The Jets pick 18, Arizona 20 and Cleveland’s other first round pick is 26 – the rest all hold top 11 picks.

The last two minefields (in terms of need) are the Jets and Cleveland (at 26); if Cleveland keeps both of their #1s, I can’t imagine a scenario in which they wouldn’t draft a QB, especially if one of the top 4 falls to 26. (Same goes for NY at 18 – if Bridgewater is there, they absolutely fall over themselves trying to get the card to the podium.)

So if a QB they like does fall, they’re probably going to have to jump ahead of New York at 18

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I think one of the top three QB's will fall to the second.

17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Anything is possible, of course. I just can't imagine 9 QB-needy teams (counting Cleveland twice) would pass on one of the top 3 QBs- while letting a presumably close 4th prospect (Carr) fall as well. Not to mention, savvy teams like the Patriots, I think, would jump if one of the big 3 fell into their laps. (And this isn't counting St. Louis, who has two1s; Oakland, San Diego and Arizona, who all have aging QBs...)

18. Fantasma Negro

Months? two days ago I was like Manziel, then after Clowneys pro day I'm like Clowney. Then after thinking about it and seeing Bill Bellichek is interested in him I want Manziel. That might be where I stay. I think this city needs Johnny Football, not just for merchandise but for relevance. Think about it, Clowney is the best defensive player in the draft but the Texans have the best defensive player in the league and we went 2-14. This is a qb driven league and you can't win games especially in the afc without above average qb play. Johnny Football is an era changing type player. No one has ever seen a player like him and thats why no one knows how to predict his future. But my God just imagine the impact on this city

19. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

Whats wrong with you??

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Aggie. Only explanation.