1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

The term "Islamophobia" is a misnomer and a propaganda weapon

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Feb 28, 2012.

1. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Gotcha, taking my sarcasm detector to the shop.

To add, I would describe Islamophobia as those who have a belief that Muslims are trying to conquer the planet by conversion/war and trying to force sharia law as a universal code of law.

Nib High Football Rules!

2. bloop

bloop Member

IMO just embrace that you hate Arabs or Jews or Gays or Chinese or Whites or whoever and run with it.

Why does it bother you if someone calls you an Islamaphobe? If you post hateful ignorant **** about a group and someone calls you on it, you're going to get mad at being called a name?

Stick to your guns, say your piece and take the medicine. Who cares? If you really need to hate Muslims that much, it's r****ded to think that you won't take some hate for what you say.

Look think of it this way. The people who disagree with you are clearly 1)arabs 2)naive 3)not as insightful as you 4)some type of brown 5)possibly gay. Why do you even care what people like that think of you?

For the record saying a bunch of **** about Islam is Islamophobia. Don't understanding why someone calling you something you are bothers you, regardless of the negative connotation of adding word+phobe. I mean isn't it their problem that they aren't islamophobes? You're on the side of Right right? Everyone should be an islamophobe. Like you! Be confident that they're the ones doing it wrong wear that badge proud.

1 person likes this.
  3. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

You didn't even read his post did you? Good job bro.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

For the record, you are a moron.

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Criticizing Islamic fundamentalism and extremism = normal rational thinker

Saying Islam is inherently violent and that Muslims are more likely to be violent because of the Koran = Islamaphobe

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

So the other day a woman asked if this guy we worked with was Muslim or "Islamist". I didn't know how to answer. She is certainly no anti-anything, so there was no ill will intended. And she is well traveled and culturally aware, so I am curious as to what that means. Google search did not help.

First: what is meant by Islamist
    Second: how is that different from Muslim

TIA

And yes, this is sincere. I don't know what meaning and connotations "Islamist" carries.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

This is not an entirely bad post, although I would consider the second part slightly unprecise. I just think there is something in between.

I would modify it a bit:

- Criticizing Islamic fundamentalism and extremism = normal rational thinker
    - Asking the question what the root causes (possibly also the Quran?) are for more fundamentalism and extremism and intolerance in the name of Islam than in the name of other religions and how things could be improved (which first takes acknowledging that improvement is necessary, which takes pointing out the bad parts of it) = critical thinker
    - Saying Muslims are bad people in general or hating on Muslims or treating them any worse than others just because they are Muslims = very wrong, and "Islamophobe", if you want to call it that. There are good people and bad people from all religious and non-religious backgrounds. I don't agree with and dislike people who say ignorant things like "Muslims are bad people" or some crap like that.

My key point is one needs to distinguish between the ideology and the people. The problem is that some people of lesser intellect, such as "bloop", don't realize that I do that. And of course, some of the people, especially if they were brought up being told that questioning core elements of their religion makes you an enemy already, cannot understand this distinction. I think it should be allowed to question anything. Thoughts and opinions are free.

Criticizing the ideology (or some interpretations of it and the corresponding consequences) is not the same as hating the people who happen to be born into cultures where you are raised to believe in the ideology/religion with all that comes with it (holy book, prophet, etc.).

I have never said that I hate Muslims or dislike Muslims - because that is truly not what I think.

And I think anyone who has read my posts here, even if you disagree with me and even if you think I post on the topic too much - if you are fair, you do not assume that I am that kind of person.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

But if one is able to criticize Islamic fundamentalism, why is it wrong to criticize Islam itself? Isn't a "fundamentalist" someone who follows Islam to the letter?

I don't think any religion or belief-system should be hands-off for criticism. To me, a true Islamaphobe (a term I also don't like) is one who applies different standards towards Muslims. That is, looking the other way or rationalizing it when a Christian or Hindu or whatever does something, but not tolerating it when a Muslim does the same thing.

#28 durvasa, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

There are "other scholars" in this article who fully validate the use of the term. This isn't the most honest presentation of this data.

10. Sacudido

Sacudido Contributing Member

This thread was almost a year and a half old. You had to specifically look for it in order to bump it... Why would you do this??

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's valid to ask questions like - does the Quran have teaching that encourage violence? But if you ask that question - what bothers me is that the Bible also has plenty of violent inducing language as well. It's about applying fair standards then.

Most of the time in practice, the people who criticize "Islam" as a whole are in fact Islamophobes. I mean, it's clear that the vast majority of Muslims who practice Islam are peaceful - just as the vast majority of Christians. So I am saying where is the rational is calling a religion inherently violent when that's rather subjective and in comparison to Christianity doesn't seem all that different.

Plus there are plenty of other fundamentalists that resort to violence. Hinduism for instance - has many radical components.

My point here is that yes, Islamic fundamentalism is a problem - all fundamentalism is. But when you combine fundamentalism, with poverty, anger, and access to guns - it's going to get very messy. Is the Quran the root cause?

I think people who burn the Quran can call Islam a religion of evil are definitely Islamophobes.

Atw - I only called you an Islamophobe in the past because you seem so obsessed with every misdeed of Islam. It's one thing to criticize, but why do you post so many threads about the wrongs of Islam? That's just a bit strange to me.

12. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

1. Islamist seems to be a new term created in the recent years to describe "orthodox" Muslims. It is also used by Islamophobes to describe any Muslim that is firm in their beliefs thinking. They try to label people as such because they want to paint any orthodox Muslim with the terrorist brush.
    2. In my opinion, no difference.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

False.

Islamist is a term used to describe a subset of Muslims that want Islam to control all aspects of a society, including political and social elements. They believe in an Islamic state that implements and enforces Sharia law as the law of the land. These groups tend to be violent.

14. trustme

trustme Member

Oh so like republicans?

15. trustme

trustme Member

For the record, you are an islamophobe.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I do not believe there are Republicans who want the Bible to be strictly interpreted as the law of the land.

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

That Islam might be practiced largely by poor nonwhites, that it is cloaked in mysticism and ceremony and stories, should not make it immune from scrutiny.

The term Islamophobe is used to silence such criticism, to intimidate those that would question Islamic values by casting them as bigots.

If a bunch of intolerant misogynists got together to create a religion that gives them license to objectify women and treat women/nonbelievers as subhuman, it would look like Islam.

18. dmc89

dmc89 Member

What is Islam to the letter? And who qualifies whether one is following it to a high degree? No one, but the Creator on the Day of Judgement can answer that question. Clearly there are some who are audacious enough to believe they can answer it. They are to be ignored and/or opposed.

I agree. Nothing is above criticism: even God or existence. For what is man's scrutiny and debate, but merely small wind to the ears of other miniscule creatures like himself in a vast universe? Criticize all you want. It's like an amoeba giving its opinion on whether the war in Vietnam was just.

It is troubling how little credit intolerant Muslims give to their notion of God. They don't realize that the Maker of all Life (Space-Time itself) does not need the protection of one of his many creations.

Obviously this is just a religious belief, but that's the picture created by the Quran. In my opinion, fundamentalists don't follow the religion to the letter because it requires a Muslim to use all sorts of knowledge and critical thinking to come up with an argument that can be debated. Since I know many of them shun philosophy and biology, they've failed a basic requirement of their creed.

1 person likes this.
  19. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Reading your post reminds me of the way many people abroad describe Americans: that they are overweight, intolerant, ignorant, politically apathetic, insular, determined to police others, loud and crass in public, etc. Most of them have interacted with American tourists; some only hear it from others; a few have lived here as exchange students; and some only say it because something else troubles their lives (a corrupt society, military rule, etc.) yet America becomes an easy scapegoat.

Of course, their descriptions are accurate regarding some Americans. However, their derision is laughable. Anyone who lives here can tell you there is great diversity amongst us. Sampling size is critical, and so does the media you consume. If all you see of my community are women dressed as beekeepers and angry bearded men burning US flags, then it'd be hard to believe Islam can be a positive thing.

Maybe Islam is as you say it is. I highly disagree. I think a large number of Muslims might be as you portrayed them, but the creed itself is not like that imo. Indeed, the religion itself is hard to identify. Is it what the Quran says and the meaning extracted from it? Or, is it observing how Muslims behave? I say it's the former, while many say it's the latter.

Even if it that's the case, many in my community including my family are tolerant, and we treat both genders and non-Muslims as equals. My sisters dress in jeans, slacks, shorts; the men either are clean-shaven, beards like Ben Bernanke's or mustaches like Bernard Montgomery's.

Also, you should say whatever you want on your mind, and the free market of society will assign a value to whether your opinions will be respected or not. The Islam my community practices barely has any ceremony or stories. On Friday or Saturday nights, we may get together and smoke where topics like homosexuality and the merits of democracy are all discussed and debated.

Realize that you living in the Internet Age makes you impatient versus if you'd been alive in the 1300s-1800s. Many religions go through reform and civil wars. It's unfortunate that you are alive to witness Islam have growing pains. It's not pretty, and I sympathize with your disdain for my faith. But there some of us that are not as you observe. We may be few, but we are growing and can grow more. It's not the religion, but many of its followers' interpretation that you have a beef with.

20. trustme

trustme Member

If this is true, then why is there a growing number of females, in America, accepting Islam?

Your logic is flawed. Like every other bigot on this board. And you are an islamophobe, too.