1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Teflon Don Part II

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Asian Sensation, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Bev is like Battier, except he's not a champion, he's not one of the all-time "no-I-in-team" guys, he's neither liked nor respected, he plays a different position and is neither considered one of the league's best defenders nor a knock down corner 3 pt shooter....

I don't disagree with your overall theme but this bullet point was entirely wrong.

And the Rockets had him in camp? When was this and who was entirely better? Livingston/Harden/Ariza seems like a completely different lineup than Bev/Harden/Ariza........

2. dmoneybangbang

Disagree. The lack of viable second offensive option puts too much burden on Harden to do everything offensively. I think Harden has the ability to be double double type of PG/playmaker but we need people who can score around him. Whether the second option is a guy like Lou Williams or Kevin Love, we need someone.

3. Houston79Astro

Terrible thread. Bev is the perfect counter part to Harden a 3 & D guard. He picks up the tougher guard match up every night. Has he lost a step? Yeah sure he has, but you could easily blame that on a absolutely garbage Defensive system. For me, it starts and ends with the coaching staff. That is why we suck.

4. dmoneybangbang

To be fair, Livingston has bounced around A LOT since becoming a viable player under GSW.

It was stupid to put Bev on Livingston last night when he can simply shoot over Bev. The lack of KJ McDaniels this season has been mind blowing since his player profile is that of a defensive guard/wing.

5. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

I agree with you that Beverly is overrated trash and should be a backup at most and most likely a 3rd string player in this league. However, what did I tell you about wasting your money on betting on the Rockets to win this series just like you did last year? I was right once again and you never want to listen.

6. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I'm not disagreeing that we need a pg, but I will disagree with you saying that James turn overs are because of that..

James demands the ball and will not let anyone else run the show.. He will let whom ever is playing the pg position run a couple of plays and then he will demand the ball.... ESPECIALLY if a player has scored on him..

So I agree with people on the system and getting a coach to make him understand his role.. Right now he does what ever he wants when he wants..

T_Man

7. Asian Sensation

Unfortunately or should I say fortunately for me I wasn't able to place a bet at all since the site I use didn't have odds for the series. Thank goodness.

8. Asian Sensation

Yes. New coach, new system, new starting PG. all are necessary if we plan to keep and build around Harden.

9. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i'm not sure why he'd be called a teflon don. are tons of people giving him tons of credit?

and according to basketball-reference, the rockets were +4.0 when he was on the court, and -3.9 when he was off the court. so he appears to help.

and the 3&D point guard (sometimes not even the D) has pretty much been the prototypical point guard for champions going back to the 1990's. all 8 rockets and bulls championships. 5 lakers titles. miami's titles with chalmers.

10. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

J.R. is such an awful poster.

11. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Is there a gif of his last layup? It was so laughably bad.

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Bev is who we thought he is. He fits into starting lineup next to Harden, but you have to have a capable backup (which Rockets don't have). He's been VERY GOOD from 3pt range to negate some of what he's giving up on D

The real Teflon Don to me is Trevor Ariza. His professional "Kawhi-like" demeanor is good. Though he is prone to take plays off and trot down the court not getting back on D himself. I blame the bad team chemistry more than Ariza himself. But he is part of the problem himself if he isnt bettering the defense.

13. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I think your hate on Bev is irrational. Beverley's doing his job. Even if we had Rod Strickland at point, I don't think many coaches would take the ball out of Harden's hands. And that would be the choice of the coach - not Harden. We can't defend & can't rebound, yet you're obsessing on how Beverley can't create??? Do you really think that is the biggest issue right now?

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Shaun Livingston was a stud coming straight out of high school. He blew out his knee early in his career in the NBA. It was a pretty horrific injury to watch. He's bounced around the league to a lot of teams before landing with Golden State. When he was with the Rockets, he was actually playing pretty decently from what I recall. We kept Toney Douglas and Scott Machado over him, but a lot of that was also due to the fact Livingston was making a few million on his contract and there wasn't a reason to pay him that much to back up Lin when we thought Machado could do pretty much the same for a lot less. Of course, Royce White was also on that team. :grin:

15. BackdoorHarden

Lakers did fine with Fisher

Heat did fine with Chalmers.

Pat is just as good as Fisher and Chalmers.

Problem is, the Superstar on this team doesn't play defense.

Harden finished #427 in the Defensive POY voting according to Barkley

16. BackdoorHarden

Don't forget Kidd. Kidd was pretty much a 3 and D 50 years old PG when he won it all with the Mavs. Kidd was not as good as Bev when Mavs won it all

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Barkley talking about players not playing defense... now that's some funny stuff.

18. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

A combo guard would be the best fit with Harden in the backcourt.

You need a guy that maybe played 2G in college and knows how to play off the ball but is good enough of a ball handler to run the offense and bring the ball up the court when he has too.

19. Asian Sensation

"Pretty much a 3 and D 50 year old PG" that also had handles, vision, play making ability and averaged more than 8 assists per game. That 37 year old Kidd was better than Bev can ever dream of being.

20. BackdoorHarden

Kidd shot 35% that year. Mavs didn't win with HOF Kidd, they won with Pat Bev, Chalmer, Fisher type of player Kidd.